“Great base for Harry Potter”

Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in St Albans
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Spent a night after my sons birthday trip to Harry Potter studio tour at nearby Leavesden (10min drive) Friendly helpful staff on reception. Nice to find 2 single beds and the king bed for myself and two children. In other Premier Inns little un had to share with me. Tucked away near a busy road but as we were at the back limited road noise. Fantastic Beefeater, Moor Mill for evening meal and good breakfast. Whats not to love about a nights stay and breakfast for 3 for £37.25!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a recent business trip to my office. The hotel is located within 10 minutes drive of my office so very convenient. The hotel itself is clean and tidy and my room was located in a separate annexe to the main building. On entering the room it felt very cold and I realised the heating was not switched on – not a good thing in March! The room soon heated up and with the addition of a hot bath I was soon warm and happy again! The room and bathroom were both spacious and comfortable and the noise levels from outside were very low. There was some noise from adjoining rooms but nothing over the ordinary. The restaurant is the old water mill which is very picturesque and quaint. It does make it feel a little disjointed as there are separate little areas everywhere but this is fine if this is to your taste. The food and service was very good and overall I had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I spent the weekend with the wife here. The location is very quiet and nice. The food from the beefeaters restaurant is nice as well. My only problem was the temperature in the room, it was quite cold that the staff had to provide extra heating by giving me an electric heater. The furniture in the room looked quite old too.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Cold room insufficient heating for size of room, given a portable radiator, visited friends for four hours, upon return found many empty spaces in car park, room still hadnt reached above 16C.
Am glad I asked for a second duvet! I dont suffer from the cold, but my wife is quite intolerant to it.
Poor choice of healthy options in restaurant for early evening dining, location is superb, working waterwheel, fed the ducks, restaurant is popular for locals.
Fantastic service for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

we arrived to spend one night, the hotel was easy to find and the area was lovely, the mill was very attractive. My husband was taken poorly on the drive down however and collapsed into bed the moment we arrived
The girl on reception was extremely helpful. She advised that I could get a meal for myself and have it in our room which was most helpful, she even went back to the restaurant when we realised I had not been given all of the food I had ordered which saved me going back for it. My poor husband managed to recover sufficiently for breakfast and that was good too. The beefeater restaurant was lovely and close by and it was very attractive.

Have to say the bed was awful wouldn't mind seeing lenny Henry spending a night here. we hardly slept a wink, when we checked we were not asked how things had been so we just left, VERY DISSAPOINTING
Bathroom was ok we really thought were getting an accessible shower as I am disabled but we got a shallow bath, I enquired if there were any rooms with showers and was told they only had rooms with baths, not very disabled friendly,

Overall it was not a very nice stay at all.

Room Tip: Not disabled friendly atall
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for three nights over February half term so that we could visit Harry Potter and sight see in London.

Pros...
Easy to find
Friendly staff
We could see the M25 from our window but couldn't hear it at any time.
Beefeater restaurant good possibly with over generous breakfast portions (we saw a lot of waste)
Clean and tidy
Our two children (8 & 11) had a single bed each in our room which is much better than the sofa bed they have to share in a Travel lodge.

Cons...
Stayed in room 17 which was cold even when I set the thermostat to it max setting of 23.5 degrees.
Poor double glazing
Bathroom door latch damaged
Toilet seat broken

All in all this was a good base for a short stay at a reasonable price. This was our first time at a Premier Inn and I did think if this was their standard across all Inns then I would possibly look for an alternative (I am picky) but then we moved on to Premier Inn at Havant which was excellent and restored my opinion.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here last November, I booked here for me and my partner, for his 30th Birthday main reason for visit was to see the Harry Potter studios and London sight seeing.
On arrival at check in, we were checked in by a girl called Mona, she wasn't overly friendly, plus the housekeeper was also present sitting on her mobile phone and eating at front desk..... their seems to be an addiction at this hotel sitting at front desk with your mobile out, as every time we walked by they were txtin etc.... Anyhow we were given our room key, we had just arrived from Ireland so we wanted a quick shower before we headed to Harry Potter for our Tour, all was ok in room as we were thankful it was ready so that we freshen up so we didn't get looking round it much. On returning at tea time, we had a much friendlier receptionist who asked us how we got on at harry potter etc, when we got back into room, there were lady bugs all over the window sill, the blinds/curtains and under duvet... they don't bother us, however you don't want to spend 4 nights putting them out the window and removing them from the sheets, so we packed up and moved rooms after speaking to the girl at front desk, who did state there seems to be a problem with lady bugs in that part of the building... (get it sorted then)...., next room was cold, but it was late at this stage, we had been up since 5am so we stuck it out, got up in morning to find hot water tap didn't work in shower/bath so we told Mona as she was on the morning shift, who said maintenance would have it fixed later that day, we returned that evening after a long day in London sight seeing, to find tap still wasn't working, my partner went down to front desk to see what was happening again the lovely girl was on from the night before who was so apologetic, but unfortunately Mona hadn't told anyone about the Tap, or her colleague, so she didn't know anything about this either, (you would think haven't already moved from our 1st room they would have got this sorted for us plus being a special occasion) as it was late in the evening nothing could be done, we wanted showers etc, so it was pack up and move again.... so we did. This was so frustrating as it was my partners birthday treat and it was just an annoyance! and made us both a bit moody with the situation!
Another girl on the desk one morning called Joanne/a, was very rude to us, we handed in our key to be minded for us as we were heading into London again, before we even spoke she took the key and said thank you for staying good bye.... we weren't even checking out... after we said we were back later she just said 'oh OK' so no customer service there, nor friendly personality. All in all the only one that made us feel welcome was the lovely girl on the desk at night, i think her name is Tanya... she has brown curly light hair, quite tall and very bubbly, she was very helpful and apologetic for the room moves, and we did get 2 nights refunded because of the bedroom issues, however sometimes money back doesn't make up for the rude staff who clearly don't want to help and need serious training on customer service skills. I'm putting this down to bad experience.... I have worked on front desk in hotels for 15 years and i would be highly embarrassed if my staff didn't know how to greet/thank a customer etc, Mona, Joanne and the Housekeeper are clearly just there to eat, txt, and chat be hide the desk as that's all they seemed to do when we were there, and not only that we got chatting to other guests in the Beefeater restaurant (which is fab) who agreed at the lack of service (not including Tanya) i hope i have her name right. she is an asset to the Hotel, shame her team don't work the same way......

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colls1983
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations. We are however, pleased to learn that you were refunded in line with our Good Night Guarantee. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Thank you once again for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Albans
#4 of 10 in St Albans
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!