The White Hart Hotel
Official Site
Ardmore House(St Albans)
US$134
US$108
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$88
Priceline
US$82
US$88
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Restaurant
All reviewssloping floorsghost tourtudor buildingblade of beefhistoric hotelholywell hilllow ceilingsresidents loungelovely old buildinglisted buildingfull englishsunday lunchfamily roomlarge roommodern bathroomfour poster bedcar park
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The building is wonderfully full of character with slopping floors, beams and huge amounts of oldy worldy charm. Our room was very clean and comfortable, if rather noisey as there was a funtion in full swing below and we were fairly early to bed. We had an evening meal in the upstairs resturant and the food was delicious,but the evening was made extra special by the superb waiting staff, especially David and Adam who were so helpful, friendly and entertaining. St Albans is a very nice town and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Number 7 had a four poster bed and a wonderful bathroom, it was very clean and comfortable but check there is no fuction on in the room below if your early to bed!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I entered the hotel for a meal with some trepidation after seeing the hotel on television on the Hotel Inspector. The hotel is a 600 year old half timbered coaching inn with an archway for horse drawn coaches to enter the building on their way from London. It was dark so I did not see the view of the Abbey. There is a car park inside the building.

I just came in for a meal. There was an open fire inside. On entering the waiter took my coat and asked me where I wanted to sit. I ordered some tomato soup, white wine and fish. These were served promptly and tasted wonderful. My only criticism was that the handle on the coffee cup was too small to hold.

Room Tip: Just came for a meal. I should think a room with a view of the Abbey would be nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoyalWessex
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is a very decent, full of character pub. Although not the cheapest place in St Albans its character and decent beer make up for it.

They do a great Sunday lunch so well worth a visit. Never stated there (as I live in St Albans) but have heard guests talking about how much they like the place.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed here for my wife's birthday prior to visiting Harry Potter World, and to be honest we didn't spend much time in the hotel as there was so much to see and do in St Albans, a lovely town, with a beautiful park and a famous Abbey that we could see from the window of our room. The hotel is on one of the main roads right in the centre, and there was some traffic noise outside but nothing major. There is a big car park through the arch at the rear of the hotel which was very welcome.
After booking I found out the hotel had been the subject of "The Hotel Inspector" TV program and although I haven't seen that episode on entering the room I am willing to bet that the lime green runners details in the room were the idea of Alexi Polizi.
Personally we would have preferred more of a traditional look in a genuine Tudor building but what do I know?! However whoever installed the en-suite deserves a medal. I've never used a better shower (like something I would expect to see in Dubai) or seen a cannier bit of design in a small space. The room itself was spotless and this being a real Tudor building we were fascinated by the uphill walk, (I'm not kidding), from one side of the room to the other.
We ate out at Jamie's Italian that night which is but a short walk away (celebrity chef restaurants aren't common in the frozen North) and then spent most of the rest of the evening at the place where CAMRA held their first meeting, The Farriers Arms, so it wasn't until the next day we got to use the dining room for a grand breakfast. What a lovely dining room it is, and we had a great breakfast we enjoyed too.
Staff were great throughout, and falling over themselves to help at all times, but what a great place St. Albans is, and in this hotel you are right in the centre of it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

OK, last time we went to St Albans we stayed down the hill at The Comfort....and it was not....comfortable that is.

So this time we thought we would spend a night at the older place next door, and we are glad we did. £103 for B & B for one double for a night is not cheap....but this was really nice.

We were "upgraded" free of charge to a superior room (Room 8) which faced the front and sure we could hear SOME traffic noise, but it was by no means a problem. The room was massive with a (say) 42" TV set, sofa, table, tea/coffee and a full BATH room en-suite. The bed was massive and the one radiator by the bathroom kept us as warm as toast. The building is very old and the floors are not level, which kinda adds to the fun!!

The only thing I was going to mark the room down on was the bedside lights not being bright enough, then I discovered the lampshades just slide up...and thus off!!!

We spent several hours in the bar where there were several real ales and where it was not busy but "just nice" and the staff could not do enough for us.

We had a very nice freshly cooked breakfast, but did not dine in the restaurant.

Will we go back? You bet!!!

Room Tip: Room 8 was massive, but the only one we saw.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple