“Two Night Stay”

Ranked #3 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Two Night Stay”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Once booked in and being shown and helped to our family room on top floor we felt at home with a big welcome. The Hotel is over 500 years old so narrow stair cases and low door ways but all adds to the character and charm of the building. Breakfast is extremely filling and couldn't fault the food or staff for our duration.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just returned form a terrible nights stay at the White Hart St Albans. It is a lovely looking hotel but don't be fooled. I stayed for work so that I could get a good nights sleep and be close to work the next morning at 6am. I was awake till 3am as the bar was full and the music was on. There was coming and going all night long. When I spoke to the manager the next day he was very grumpy indeed and said 'WHat do you expect it is an Inn'.
Not impressed at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lucienne P
J M, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
This group of people were all in rooms either towards the back of the hotel or on the top floor so I think there is a fair bit of exaggeration going on to make their point.

I suppose this is to be expected as they were filming an advert just opposite at the Cathedral so this must have had something to do with why they chose to stay with us.
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was 'greeted', and I use the term very loosely, at reception by possibly the most disinterested man I've ever met, who showed me to my room. It was 9pm and I had been at work all day and had not eaten, so I asked if they were still serving food. I was told they were not, so I asked if he could recommend anywhere to eat, to which he just said 'I don't know, you'll have to go look', so not the best of customer service starts.

Upon entering the room the light did not work. I saw the tv remote so put the tv on for ambient light to look for another light source, which I could not find. In the end I put the bathroom light on with the door open to illuminate the room, where I was greeted with a sink full of dirty water and an un-flushed toilet full of waste. Nice touch.

I went downstairs to raise this with the 'greeter' but again, he was incredibly indifferent and just kept muttering something about it being Valentines day, so I admitted defeat and set out to find somewhere to eat in town.

I returned to the hotel at about 10pm, and when I walked in to the reception area I was glared at by a male member of staff I had dared to walk in front of, as he had had to stop to let me past, for which I thanked him.

Then the real fun started. There was quite a lot of noise from the bar/restaraunt area below as I was on the first floor, but I assumed it would die down around midnight, but how wrong I was. It got progressively worse, the highlight of which was when someone started to clunk the keys of a piano at 2:00am while all their friends roared with laughter. This went on for about 20 minutes. Finally the noise of the bar quietened down, but then what I assume was the staff clearing up started and that in itself was quite something to behold, as for the next 45 minutes or so all I got was a repeatedly slamming door which made my bed shake and very loud voices. I was still awake at 4:00am, my alarm was set for 6:20am as I was leaving for work at 7:00am, so all told I had about 2 hours sleep maximum.

If the staff need to use a door a lot that slams whenever they go through it, fit a soft door closer.

I had the booking made for me by the company I was working for, so fortunately I was not personally out of pocket, but had I been paying personally I would have demanded a refund. There were a few of us all booked in by the same company, and every one of us had had an issue of some description, so they decided to call the hotel and see what had gone wrong.

One of the most saddening things was when the company rang to complain, as every single issue they raised was blamed on the cleaners, or the fact it was Valentines day (no, me neither), or some other area outside of their control. At no point did they accept any responsibility, apologise or offer any kind of resolution, which was all it would have taken to restore some goodwill. Instead, it was all someone else's fault.

Yes, it is an old building, and as such you are always going to get some noise, but this really was so incredibly excessive, and you could argue that 'you get what you pay for', but this place is not cheap either. This is not a 'Hotel', it is a pub with rooms.

You have to be a 'people person' to work in the hospitality industry, so it saddens me greatly when people work in it who just don't seem to care. The day you stop caring about your paying guests maybe is the day you should think about doing something else for a living.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Joel S
J M, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
This person was obviously not entering into the spirit of the day!

As anyone will know, Valentines day is incredibly busy for everyone in the trade. This doesn't excuse bad behaviour of course and we would apologise if the staff were slightly stressed and conveyed the wrong message to our guest.

We have always made it clear that we are proud to be a Coaching Inn and on being able to provide good food, hospitality and accommodation at a reasonable price.

The town centre on a busy weekend night is not the quietest place in the world...
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Took my son and daughter in law here for a treat. Struggled to get through on the phone, although the manager was very apologetics about there being problems with the phones that night. A warm welcome on arrival then we we're fairly much left until we asked for service. Not a brilliant experience but the food was good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alderess
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed here in room 4 for one night following a friend's wedding.
I was impressed by the size of the room considering it's such an old building. Lovely comfortable bed, clean room and bathroom with a very powerful shower. The bathroom fittings were modern without detracting from the history of the building.
Some people have marked this hotel down because the floors are uneven, there is no double glazing and the corridors are narrow...well, it is a 500 year old building so what do you expect? It adds to the character and makes it a more memorable stay than most modern hotels around.
Very well located in the centre of the town, with free parking available.
Staff at the check-in desk were pleasant enough and efficient although as some other reviews have pointed out, not particularly friendly.
We did not eat breakfast here so can't comment on this but the dining room looked very comfortable.
We were here as part of a function and the service was adequate.
Would probably stay here again and for £99 for the night I suppose it's on par with most other hotels around.
Look out for the ghosts :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne P
Kingston upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We have been many times to St.Albans and love the city, but this was our first stay at the White Hart Inn, which we chose because of it's history and character, as well as second-to -none location opposite the cathedral. We were not disappointed- we arrived in the afternoon to find a log fire in the gorgeous 15th century beamed inn. It didn't get off to a terribly good start though - we were left standing about waiting to check in for a very long time although there were hardly any customers around, and when the man on duty finally did acknowledge us the welcome was less than enthusiastic. No other comlaints though - the room was very comfortable and clean with tasteful furnishings and a fabulous bathroom. I have become so used to even expensive hotels having utterly rubbish showers that I was thrilled to find one with proper high pressure! We later ate in the restaurant, 'Tudor's', which unfortunately had a rather limited menu but we had an enjoyable meal.We had heard that the inn was haunted but dissapointingly didn't come across any ghosts!. If you want somewhere to stay in St.Alban's that's atmospheric & historical and isn't a bland chain hotel, this is the place. We really enjoyed our 2 nights and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Lots of character in this quirky and interesting place. Room 4 was really spacious with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was small but not a problem, it had a great shower.
The check in was not the most welcoming I have ever received but ... hey ho!
Wished we'd booked breakfast but sadly we didn't because we thought we wouldn't be up in time.
Good value for money and the location is perfect for an event in central St Albans.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends