“21st Birthday Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 St Albans B&B and Inns
St Albans, United Kingdom
“21st Birthday Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

on the 1st March (2014) I invited 22 family and friends to celebrate my 21st at the White Hart Hotel for a evening meal, we had a great time. The food and service was fantastic, there was always someone around if we needed something and drinks kept toped up!! I thought they did very well as there was a large number of us.
We had our own private area with sliding doors to separate us from the rest of the restaurant, which was lovely. Everything was all set up before we got there and we could decorate the room how we liked :) The tables were set out well and we could all see each other! also had two separate tables for wine and birthday cake.

I would definitely recommend The WHH for a fabulous meal for any occasion.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Grace L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Visited on Sunday 23/2/14 with a TravelZoo voucher.

The food was superb and served in generous portions. The homemade beef and mushroom pie would rank as one of the best I've ever tasted.

Service was attentive and relaxed, allowing us time between courses. This was particularly relevant as we were only diners after about an hour. The dining room is lovely and really does seem to be many hundreds of years old. We didn't experience the ghosts, but I can believe they are there.

Prices aren't low, but it's 30 seconds walk from the city centre, with ample parking and well worth the cost. Including service and drinks you're looking at just over £40 per head (we don't drink much!)

I recommend a try if you're in St Albans, maybe try another night rather than Sunday for a few more diners!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We decided to treat ourselves to a night away in this conveniently located hotel for our requirements. We were shown to our room. Full of character which we would expect but the bathroom we had was very shabby and in need of decorating. The bed was two beds put together but with two single duvets. The mattresses were very soft and I felt like I was going to slip out of bed as the floor was sloped due to the age of the building. Also, I could not put a glass of water on the bedside table as it was so tilted. We had a lovely meal out at a local restaurant and finished the evening having a few drinks in the bar. The staff in the bar were very friendly and helpful. We went to bed eventually and hardly slept all night because of the noise outside. I am guessing it was from guests that were outside smoking or maybe staff, which was even worse if this was the case. They were in and out the building and the door kept banging and they were talking and laughing loudly until 4.30 am. We woke the next morning and managed to get up for breakfast which was very nice, quick and the service was good. I know it is an old building but there things that could have been put in place with regards to the furniture and there should be signs up to ask guests/staff to respect other guests and be quite after a certain time. The building was lovely and I know it was only 2 star but I would not stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cookies44
J M, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
First of all, thank you for staying and making the effort to give us your feedback.

This was an exceptionally busy week-end and, with a lot of lively guests, it is difficult sometimes to keep the noise down. Normally we achieve a reasonable balance. We agree with our guests' comments about asking other customers to be respectful to other guests.

With respect to the room, most of our beds are king size beds that can be divided in two so they are not just single beds put together.

This room does have a very uneven floor and we are planning to refurbish it soon.
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I went back to England after 3 years away and staying at the White Hart on my first night was one of the best parts of the trip. I'm a little thrown to read some of these reviews. The building and ambience is truly and deeply historic. The bedroom was large, comfortable and traditional but with a superb modern bathroom, perfect. The service was very good and the bar well stocked with English bitter and also whiskeys. Breakfast was great, everything I could want. As an historic hotel, it is located on one of the old roads close to the centre of St Albans, so there is traffic outside. However I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. After my night at the White Hart, I realised how much I miss England. I'll happily stay again but clearly visitors need to want a unique experience.

Russell

Room Tip: Ensuite bathroom. Call the hotel first to discuss what you want.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Once booked in and being shown and helped to our family room on top floor we felt at home with a big welcome. The Hotel is over 500 years old so narrow stair cases and low door ways but all adds to the character and charm of the building. Breakfast is extremely filling and couldn't fault the food or staff for our duration.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just returned form a terrible nights stay at the White Hart St Albans. It is a lovely looking hotel but don't be fooled. I stayed for work so that I could get a good nights sleep and be close to work the next morning at 6am. I was awake till 3am as the bar was full and the music was on. There was coming and going all night long. When I spoke to the manager the next day he was very grumpy indeed and said 'WHat do you expect it is an Inn'.
Not impressed at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lucienne P
J M, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
This group of people were all in rooms either towards the back of the hotel or on the top floor so I think there is a fair bit of exaggeration going on to make their point.

I suppose this is to be expected as they were filming an advert just opposite at the Cathedral so this must have had something to do with why they chose to stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was 'greeted', and I use the term very loosely, at reception by possibly the most disinterested man I've ever met, who showed me to my room. It was 9pm and I had been at work all day and had not eaten, so I asked if they were still serving food. I was told they were not, so I asked if he could recommend anywhere to eat, to which he just said 'I don't know, you'll have to go look', so not the best of customer service starts.

Upon entering the room the light did not work. I saw the tv remote so put the tv on for ambient light to look for another light source, which I could not find. In the end I put the bathroom light on with the door open to illuminate the room, where I was greeted with a sink full of dirty water and an un-flushed toilet full of waste. Nice touch.

I went downstairs to raise this with the 'greeter' but again, he was incredibly indifferent and just kept muttering something about it being Valentines day, so I admitted defeat and set out to find somewhere to eat in town.

I returned to the hotel at about 10pm, and when I walked in to the reception area I was glared at by a male member of staff I had dared to walk in front of, as he had had to stop to let me past, for which I thanked him.

Then the real fun started. There was quite a lot of noise from the bar/restaraunt area below as I was on the first floor, but I assumed it would die down around midnight, but how wrong I was. It got progressively worse, the highlight of which was when someone started to clunk the keys of a piano at 2:00am while all their friends roared with laughter. This went on for about 20 minutes. Finally the noise of the bar quietened down, but then what I assume was the staff clearing up started and that in itself was quite something to behold, as for the next 45 minutes or so all I got was a repeatedly slamming door which made my bed shake and very loud voices. I was still awake at 4:00am, my alarm was set for 6:20am as I was leaving for work at 7:00am, so all told I had about 2 hours sleep maximum.

If the staff need to use a door a lot that slams whenever they go through it, fit a soft door closer.

I had the booking made for me by the company I was working for, so fortunately I was not personally out of pocket, but had I been paying personally I would have demanded a refund. There were a few of us all booked in by the same company, and every one of us had had an issue of some description, so they decided to call the hotel and see what had gone wrong.

One of the most saddening things was when the company rang to complain, as every single issue they raised was blamed on the cleaners, or the fact it was Valentines day (no, me neither), or some other area outside of their control. At no point did they accept any responsibility, apologise or offer any kind of resolution, which was all it would have taken to restore some goodwill. Instead, it was all someone else's fault.

Yes, it is an old building, and as such you are always going to get some noise, but this really was so incredibly excessive, and you could argue that 'you get what you pay for', but this place is not cheap either. This is not a 'Hotel', it is a pub with rooms.

You have to be a 'people person' to work in the hospitality industry, so it saddens me greatly when people work in it who just don't seem to care. The day you stop caring about your paying guests maybe is the day you should think about doing something else for a living.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Joel S
J M, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
This person was obviously not entering into the spirit of the day!

As anyone will know, Valentines day is incredibly busy for everyone in the trade. This doesn't excuse bad behaviour of course and we would apologise if the staff were slightly stressed and conveyed the wrong message to our guest.

We have always made it clear that we are proud to be a Coaching Inn and on being able to provide good food, hospitality and accommodation at a reasonable price.

The town centre on a busy weekend night is not the quietest place in the world...