“Good Value”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I have been here twice now using it as a base for work. I can not fault the staff or the food. The building is atmospheric and it is an ideal place to relax after the working day. I would definitely recommend it as a place to stay. Especially when you consider the price of generic travelodge type places. PS Nice breakfast too.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Antony E

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We hired a room for refreshments after my mother's funeral. Fabio, the manager, could not have been more helpful. There were more people than expected but there was more than enough delicious food.

The room was lovely with plenty of seating for the twenty - five people.

We would highly recommend 'The White Hart' for those trying to arrange functions of similar size.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The excellent Carl Palmer Band performing at the St. Albans Arena was the reason for our overnight stay here. The White Hart is a very charming 600 year old building ( almost as old as me !!! ) which sports two bar areas, a hotel, a restaurant and a designated reception for guests to check in.
We liked our room very much. We would suspect that there are even better rooms, but as we booked only earlier that day, we were more than happy. Check in was flawless and friendly ( and handled by the owner who seemed very palatable ).

The other customers were varied and pleasant and the aspalls cider very nicely chilled and quaffable. At £4.95 a pint we were a little shocked until we found out it is not the White Hart being particularly expensive but a feature of St. Albans in general. I would also like to thank one barmaid in particular ( a tall lady with quite a generous amount of hair ) who cottoned on to my odd and eclectic humour very quickly and responded very well. ( Not everybody does...Arf arf ! ).
Also full marks to the chap who took care of the late night bar. What a great guy.

We particularly liked the style of our bathroom especially the green tiles which we felt complimented the building rather well. Mrs.Electric slept well. I didn't but I have sleep issues so this was not a reflection on the quality of our bed.

We had booked breakfast and it was very good, especially the sausages ( an area that so many hotels scrimp on ). The lady who did most of our serving was a lovely person and was also instrumental in enabling two slightly hungover people to prepare for our journey home.

Would we return? Yes. Well done :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Electricwarrior
Reviewed 2 March 2014

on the 1st March (2014) I invited 22 family and friends to celebrate my 21st at the White Hart Hotel for a evening meal, we had a great time. The food and service was fantastic, there was always someone around if we needed something and drinks kept toped up!! I thought they did very well as there was a large number of us.
We had our own private area with sliding doors to separate us from the rest of the restaurant, which was lovely. Everything was all set up before we got there and we could decorate the room how we liked :) The tables were set out well and we could all see each other! also had two separate tables for wine and birthday cake.

I would definitely recommend The WHH for a fabulous meal for any occasion.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Grace L
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Visited on Sunday 23/2/14 with a TravelZoo voucher.

The food was superb and served in generous portions. The homemade beef and mushroom pie would rank as one of the best I've ever tasted.

Service was attentive and relaxed, allowing us time between courses. This was particularly relevant as we were only diners after about an hour. The dining room is lovely and really does seem to be many hundreds of years old. We didn't experience the ghosts, but I can believe they are there.

Prices aren't low, but it's 30 seconds walk from the city centre, with ample parking and well worth the cost. Including service and drinks you're looking at just over £40 per head (we don't drink much!)

I recommend a try if you're in St Albans, maybe try another night rather than Sunday for a few more diners!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We decided to treat ourselves to a night away in this conveniently located hotel for our requirements. We were shown to our room. Full of character which we would expect but the bathroom we had was very shabby and in need of decorating. The bed was two beds put together but with two single duvets. The mattresses were very soft and I felt like I was going to slip out of bed as the floor was sloped due to the age of the building. Also, I could not put a glass of water on the bedside table as it was so tilted. We had a lovely meal out at a local restaurant and finished the evening having a few drinks in the bar. The staff in the bar were very friendly and helpful. We went to bed eventually and hardly slept all night because of the noise outside. I am guessing it was from guests that were outside smoking or maybe staff, which was even worse if this was the case. They were in and out the building and the door kept banging and they were talking and laughing loudly until 4.30 am. We woke the next morning and managed to get up for breakfast which was very nice, quick and the service was good. I know it is an old building but there things that could have been put in place with regards to the furniture and there should be signs up to ask guests/staff to respect other guests and be quite after a certain time. The building was lovely and I know it was only 2 star but I would not stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cookies44
J M, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

First of all, thank you for staying and making the effort to give us your feedback.

This was an exceptionally busy week-end and, with a lot of lively guests, it is difficult sometimes to keep the noise down. Normally we achieve a reasonable balance. We agree with our guests' comments about asking other customers to be respectful to other guests.

With respect to the room, most of our beds are king size beds that can be divided in two so they are not just single beds put together.

This room does have a very uneven floor and we are planning to refurbish it soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I went back to England after 3 years away and staying at the White Hart on my first night was one of the best parts of the trip. I'm a little thrown to read some of these reviews. The building and ambience is truly and deeply historic. The bedroom was large, comfortable and traditional but with a superb modern bathroom, perfect. The service was very good and the bar well stocked with English bitter and also whiskeys. Breakfast was great, everything I could want. As an historic hotel, it is located on one of the old roads close to the centre of St Albans, so there is traffic outside. However I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. After my night at the White Hart, I realised how much I miss England. I'll happily stay again but clearly visitors need to want a unique experience.

Russell

Room Tip: Ensuite bathroom. Call the hotel first to discuss what you want.