“dissapointing.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 St Albans B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“dissapointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

the location of this place is wonderful.we had view of the cathedral from our room.the bar and restaurant are very nice to look at and the breakfast was good.the staff do need to improve there people skills.not very professional even rude.would not stay again because of this.its a shame as its a little piece of history in central st albans.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank maria b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I booked this hotel for clients of mine for a murder mystery dinner. It was a special occasion for them celebrating a 25th anniversary and they wanted somewhere local for their party. Nothing was too much trouble in setting it up and they were hugely accommodating liaising with both myself and my client. The staff have an amazing can do attitude, on a busy Saturday night with a full hotel nothing was a problem and they really went the extra mile to make sure all was OK. The venue is a gorgeous building dating back over 600 years with beams and wood panelling galore. The food looked lovely with very few empty plates which is always a good sign. I will recommend this to any of my future clients as not only did they make our clients welcome but our actors as well. Small is most definitely beautiful in this case. Charm character and good value. What's not to like?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Auchenblae, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

we stayed at the White Heart St Albans as a family of 5, 2 adults, and 3 kids 16,10 and 8. worth knowing that the large room is in the hotel annex and is not to the same standard as the rest of the hotel. reasonably good value but should be made clear that the standard is significantly lower.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MLACT
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the White Hart Hotel in St. Albans and it was great. The food was good, and the staff went above and beyond. The rooms were very clean. We would stay there again and we would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a room that isn't at the front of the building. When the windows are open in the front it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Mary W
Harpenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked this hotel as it is local to us for a celebration of our wedding anniversary. The hostess was really lovely, nothing was too much trouble. The staff were very friendly. Our room was at the back of the hotel, clean and very quiet. We would have preferred a room with a bath but will remember to request that for future reference. I would recommend anyone to stay here. Right in the heart of the town so no taxi fares to worry about. The food was really good too.

Room Tip: We had room 6 which is a superior double with en suite. No bath though if you prefer that to a showe...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Jenna159
Crosby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you want a standard, corporate, cloned hotel, then this is certainly not for you. If, however, you want a hotel with character, history and something different, then I recommend the White Hart.

I was on a business trip and stayed for 2 nights bed and breakfast. I was warmly welcomed by 2 very friendly receptionists, one who showed me to my room. The room was great. It had an old four poster bed, uneven creaky floors, and period furniture. The bed was really comfy. It was hot when I stayed so I had my windows open. There was a little road noise, but not too bed, and I could hear the cathedral bells chiming, which added to the atmosphere.

I ate both of my evening meals in the hotel, but stayed in the bar area. Again the service was great, with very polite staff. The food is wholesome with good portions. I can recommend the sticky toffee pudding! The staff were also happy to answer my questions about the history of the hotel, and its reputation for being haunted. A few locals came into the bar, which was not a problem; after all, it is an Inn.

Breakfast was full English; very well cooked and very tasty.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the White Hart. i could not fault any of the staff or the service. If I am in St Albans again, I will certainly be staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank John O
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Booked ghost tour for husbands birthday, 3rd July good food £25 p head and tour included. First Thursday of every month highly recommend. Good value. Great night out. Very interesting history and architecture. Some lovely stories, paintings, spooked out in the cellar and down the windy stairs and beautiful rickety corridors ... Super tour guide full of energy for the town and history. Hidden Shakespeare related painting revealed and stunning artefact ! Highly recommend !

Room Tip: 1, 7 or 15 haunted rooms ! Good luck
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple