“Not as expected”

TACKLETART1974
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Not as expected”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a suite with a balcony and asked for two cots for my children.
The suite was more of a large hotel room than a suite and the balcony opened out onto an overgrown tree so it never served its purpose. One of the cots had holes in the mesh. Room service food was dreadfull, "comes with chunky chips" was how it was described, im not kidding, we paid £5 for a bowl of frozen chips that cost £1 a bag from local supermarkets. Room service breakfast didnt include all ordered items and our order of four bottles of mineral water had been no where near a fridge, they were warm. We also had problems getting a table for lunch and it wasnt until i asked to speak to the manager that they finaly "found" us a table. The spa was ok allthough we have been to much better spas. However there was a blonde lady who was working there saturday morning that was absolutely amazing and really went out of her way to help us. I hope the management read this and find out who this lady was as it was one of only two occasions we received the treatment one expects in quality hotels. The other person was the young congierge who also gave great service. Overall the place is a nice hotel, but for me it only rated at average for this type of establishment, had the room bern marketed as a larger room rather than a suite then maybe the score would have been higher

1 Thank TACKLETART1974

Watford, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“spa day with daughters”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

it was my daughters eighteenth birthday present combined with end of uni treat for my other two daughters aged 21 and 23. we had a lovely day and made full use of the facilities. we started of with the gym which is well equiped and also had welcoming cold flannels in a fridge for guests. the changing rooms could do with a redesign. cramped and not enough seat room surrounding the lockers which were awkward to lock and unlock. staff very polite and helpful and were willing to give us extra towels and dressing gowns when the others were wet. jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were good. didnt use the pool as it was very busy and I wanted to swim not mingle in the pool. lunch was included in the cost of spa day and was extrememly impressive. three courses all very tasty and fresh!! my daughters loved the food and had double helpings. lastly we had a full body salt scrub in energising oils...this was slightly rushed which is a shame as it was a wonderful experience.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Tracey J
A TripAdvisor Member
“Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We spent the night at Sopwell house as we were joining some friends at their wedding reception they were having there. We got there early and was able to check in an hour early. The staff were helpful and polite, the grounds were clean and very well kept. A lovely location. Plenty of parking.
Room we had was a superior, quite expensive but the nicest room I've ever stayed in and the bed was the biggest I've ever seen not too mention the most comfortable bed ever with fresh good quality sheets etc
Spa was okay, expected a little bit more but was relaxing enough. We didn't have a treatment as they were way overpriced which was disappointing. Breakfast was amazing. The only moan I have was that of the staff let us down when he took our order and then never turned up with it, after 25 mins of waiting for a cream tea we realised he had changed shift with someone and went home, so had to re order. The manager did offer us a free cup of coffee which by then was too late as we had just had one but hopefully he took the feedback on board. Over all a very relaxing experience just wish we could have had a treatment to finish a relaxing stay off.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Relaxing weekend with my Sisters”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location and amenities were lovely and enabled me and my sister-in-laws to fully relax and unwind. The sauna, steam rooms and jacuzzi were ideally placed near the treatments section so we all thought the layout was perfect. The staffing team especially Denver Jeffrey, ensured our overnight stay was a delight and one that we would definitely recommend.

I can honestly say of the many spa centres that we have all tried, this would be rated one of the best.

Visited May 2014
London, UK
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Noisy, overcrowded”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

As with the other reviewers on here, we were really looking forward to it but were very disappointed. I wouldn't really call it a spa in the traditional sense (ie, relaxing, peaceful, serene), it's more of a hotel swimming pool.

Good bits
- Very nice decor
- Lovely staff, who really tried to resolve the problems
- Good massage
- Food was fine - not sophisticated but not bad at all and worth the money
- Gym was very nice indeed.

Bad bits
- Sooooooo unbelievably noisy. All facilities are based in a large echoey room around a jacuzzi - which is loud. Every other spa I've been to has a jacuzzi in a separate area so there is somewhere peaceful to relax. As a result of this constant noise of the generator, people have to shout to be heard and there are no hushed voices. And the screaming children (though few) add to the noise. Was so thankful for the peace of London after the spa!
- As in other reviews, there are simply not enough places to sit down, let alone lie down and relax. When we first arrived there were no seats, no where to hang our towels - staff had to bring chairs in for us after we complained, which was very kind of them. Then we spent the rest of the time watching for someone to leave their lounger so we could grab it - again, not relaxing.

I would say it's good if you want to have a noisy spa experience - such as a day with the girls, because it's very informal and screeching seems to be allowed and the price is good. If you actually want to relax, go somewhere else.

Visited March 2014