City and District of St Albans Tour Guides
Open today: 10:00 - 16:30
Review Highlights
Wonderful private walking tour

My sister and I booked a private walking tour with Christine, as a special treat. A really... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
Karen L
Halloween Ghosts and Ghouls

Reviewed 7 November 2017
Mirandac81
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews walking tour our tour guide roman theatre diana overview learning information
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

It was a pleasure to be shown round the city by our tour guide, Bernard, on the evening of halloween. The Ghosts and Ghouls tour is fantastic on a dark evening around this time of year. If you are familiar with the area it makes this tour even more interesting to hear all of the history and to appreciate what some of the buildings used to be and the sightings that have occurred there. The information Bernard shared with the group that night has stayed with me and I think about it everytime I walk past somewhere we visited that night. I will definitely look out for future tours to learn more about St Albans and its fantastic history and would highly recommend to others.

1  Thank Mirandac81
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I have been to St Albans several times. This time we chose to do the walking tour. It was very much worth it! The lady guide was lovely and knowledgeable, and we enjoyed ourselves very much, walking around the town and learning about its medieval history.

1  Thank Aris D
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Having previously visited the Verulamium Museum, I was surprised at how little I knew about St Albans during the Roman period. Our tour guide was so knowledgeable and was happy to answer any questions we had. The pace was suitable for all walking abilities and gave time to reflect and absorb information, without hanging around too long at each stop. The walk was just £5 though an additional £2 was paid to enter the Roman theatre (just a point to note as I did not take much cash). Excellent value for money.

2  Thank Kate L
Link64, St Albans tour guides committee at City and District of St Albans Tour Guides, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Really pleased to hear you enjoyed the walk. We are very fortunate to have such a rich heritage on our doorstep in St Albans. The tour guides are passionate about our city and we hope to see you on one of our other walks!

Reviewed 20 September 2016

This small medieval town is well worth a visit. There is so much to see such as the Abbey, the medieval streets and the remains of the Roman town called Verulamium. The park is also beautiful which also features part of the Roman wall and a big lake. There are some interesting shops and lots of restaurants. On Wednesdays and Saturdays there is a very good open air market. A walk down the medieval streets takes you back in time. There is also an interesting museum.

1  Thank CindyB L
Reviewed 31 July 2016

We took the Historic St Albans tour today and it was fabulous. Our guide, Bernard, took us through the histories of several prominent buildings, several of which enjoyed notorious pasts for one reason or another! The stories of Queen Eleanor, and of Lord Grimthorpe, the controversial architect of the re-design of the West front of St Albans Abbey, were particularly interesting. "I am the only architect with whom I have never quarrelled", stated Grimthorpe! The entire tour took nearly two hours but the time flew by, thanks to the fascinating facts and amusing anecdotes delivered from our guide. For just £4 each, it's highly recommended!

3  Thank Andy-S60