“Let Down By Poor Customer Service.”

Lussmanns - St Albans
Ranked #7 of 347 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$17 - US$49
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in leafy St Albans, just off the High Street and next to the Cathedral and Abbey Church, Lussmanns Fish and Grill is a chic brasserie-style restaurant that has won over the hearts of the local gourmet set and established itself as the locals' favourite fish and grill restaurant. Spread out over three floors, Lussmanns restaurant combines polished oak, steel-and-leather seating and a sculptural glass ceiling to create a stylish dining room flooded with natural light. Lussmanns champions artisan food producers and is passionate about sourcing their produce ethically from independent and sustainable farms. Situated within walking distance of Verulamiam Park with its Roman remains and St Albans' town centre, this is an ideal spot for business meetings, dates and family get-togethers.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I made a reservation for four people for dinner 6 weeks in advance of visiting Lussmanns which was not my first choice of restaurant as believe me, there are many great restaurants in St. Albans, however, I was tempted by the good reviews on TripAdvisor. Our party are well traveled and visitors to various restaurants and understand the definition of excellent food and customer service.

When I made the reservation, and I now understand it is the manager with whom I made the reservation, I requested a window table on the third level and was told that this would not be a problem although as it was dark we would not see anything anyway. The view was not the issue for me but this was my request and at no point was I told during this conversation that my seating request was not possible or that it could not be guaranteed.

I confirmed my booking on the morning of our visit. We arrived at Lussmans on time only to be offered a small pokey table (suitable for 2 people) in a very busy thoroughfare to and from the kitchen. I enquired about my request for a table table upstairs and was told by the female maitre d' that the last table upstairs had just been give to an elderly couple who had complained about the cramped table we were now being offered. So, in essence our requested table had been given away which was denied by the maitre d' as she maintained requests for reservations were never guaranteed... not something ever explained to me when I made the reservation. We declined the pokey table in the busy thorougfare and as there were no other free tables were asked to take a seat downstairs whereupon we asked for a drink whilst we waited and were brought a carafe of tap water. We asked to speak to the manager and asked how he intended to sort this matter out. He stated that reservations were never guaranteed although he recalled making my reservation where he at no point explained this.

When we were eventually seated at a larger table for 4 on the middle level we were able to finally order drinks other than tap water, although we do feel that complimentary drinks for the inconvenience could have been offered.

Lussmans saving grace on this particular evening was the waiter who attended to us. He was courteous, swift without being intrusive or without leaving us too long with no service.Due to our dissappointment in Lussmans, it would not have been fair to not reward him for his service and so after dinner we paid our bill and tipped him well. On leaving we were met by the manager at the door who apologised for any misunderstanding... I believe he was referring to his misunderstandings and I assured him that it was the waiter had turned our evening around.

In terms of the food, it was good but not outstanding and we are certainly not in any hurry to return to or recommend this restaurant.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Andrei L, Owner at Lussmanns - St Albans, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

(extract from email sent privately to reviewer) Hello Tracey. Thank you for your valued feedback. I have since had time to speak with Tom the restaurant manager and Tim our operations manager who took your original booking. We do not guarantee tables and have never done so since opening in 2004. There was obviously a misunderstanding at some point only worsened by your intended table being passed over to an elderly foursome who were hard of hearing. Thankfully the service received and food cooked was good but I appreciate that the dye had been cast with the confusion surrounding where you were to be sat. (email continues privately)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 9 March 2013

I eat here often. It is a great varied menu with seasonal changes. The open kitchen is a great concept. Easily the nicest food in St Albans. The service is great and all the staff have good memories for their clients.
Andre and his team happily accommodate private dining too which is a plus for business meetings.

5  Thank Sean L
Andrei L, Owner at Lussmanns - St Albans, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Many thanks for your valued feedback. We are very fortunate to have such terrific support from so many regular diners in St Albans and it’s great to hear that you feel so well looked after by the team here. Do let us know if there’s anything that you think we can improve. We look forward to seeing you again soon. With best wishes, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 11 Mar 13

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Popped in for an early supper before a show at the Alban Arena. It was Saturday night and the place was busy when we arrived at 6pm and rammed by the time we left 90 minutes later. Had the special, early menu which was excellent value at £12. Tasty starters (pate/chicory,stilton and walnut salad) followed by steak and (lots of) fries washed down with a carafe of French red and loads of free water (Dubai restaurants take note). Atmosphere was noisy but relaxed and the service was very friendly and efficient. Very good place for a pre-show supper but I look forward to exploring the wider menu at more leisure in future.

7  Thank Simon S
Andrei L, Owner at Lussmanns - St Albans, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Lovely to know that our value-driven (and very popular) 12-7pm daily set menu with a carafe of Corney & Barrow red hit the spot before the evening’s entertainment. Look forward to seeing you again when you return for a more leisurely meal with us. Many thanks and regards, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 4 Mar 13

Reviewed 28 February 2013

This could almost be a destination restaurant. Great value, good experience. In London this would certainly be at least twice the price. High quality food, professional European service and a congenial athmosphere. Everyone wears Chef Whites and the kitchen is on view.The modern building design works well. Lots of light.
Came in for Sunday lunch last week without a reservation. 3 adults and a 3yr old. I liked the professional thoughful way the Manager considered the timing and looked at the plan to decide where to seat us.
The lunch menu special is excellent value with good choice. A la carte is very interesting. Ordered Fish Cake, Vegetarian Hotpot and Steak. My hotpot was wonderfully delicately flavoured and (unusually) I took some home. Next time its Fish Pie for me -looks very good. Large choice of interesting deserts. Breads were flavouful and fresh, good butter. Like the Service all the other little details were thought out. Linen napkins. Good kids choices.

8  Thank brianbluebird

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback. As an independent ‘locals’ restaurant’, we aim to deliver the best quality food at value-for-money prices with friendly and professional service so it’s great to hear that you enjoy dining here. Also encouraging to learn that our recycled ‘doggy box’ came in handy on your last visit. Do let us know if we can do anything to improve our offering. Best wishes, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 4 Mar 13

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We have eaten here often and have never been disappointed. It is good fresh food which is organic and very tasty. It has great atmosphere and would def recommend.

4  Thank Fionafitz

Lovely to learn that you visit often and find us to be consistently reliable in relation to our sourcing, food and atmosphere. Hope that we can continue to look after you. Many thanks and regards, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 4 Mar 13