“Very average afternoon tea”

The Restaurant at Sopwell House
Ranked #62 of 366 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$46 - US$79
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at Sopwell House is located in a stunning Georgian country house in St Albans. With its high ceilings and classic, sleek decor and AA Rosette award-winning status, The Restaurant serves modern British and European cuisine. Opening Hours: Lunch: 12:30pm to 3:00pm on Sunday, Wednesday & Friday. Dinner: 7:00pm to 9.30Pm on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Well it wasnt great, but I guess it wasnt awful either. Just very average. The sandwiches were quite bland, but the cakes and scones were lovely. The bill came out wrong and the waitress maintained she was correct until she eventually went and checked.
Considering the price, I expected alot more of an experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I took a friend here for her 50th Birthday on Saturday 19th July 2014, and we had a lovely afternoon. I had explained dietary requirements when booking and they were as requested. I had informed staff that it was my friend's birthday and they brought out a cake with a candle in it. The staff were all polite and helpful.
The only reason I have not given it 5/5 is that it was very humid on Saturday and there were no fans or air con and when I requested chicken sandwiches I was told this was not possible and yet they were available in the gluten free afternoon tea.
I must stress that these were only minor issues and we truly did have a lovely afternoon. I have had afternoon at many different locations and I would recommend afternoon tea here.

1  Thank RachelA86
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were there for a few days had a lovely meal in the restaurant some of the meals were very pricey we had the steak meal for just under £20 it was very nice and you would pay that in most places . The staff were very helpful and polite i would eat there again .

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We took 25 friends and family here to celebrate our silver wedding. Afternoon tea was fabulous, staff were very attentive, we could stay as long as we liked. Have since been back with other friends and it was equally as good. Recommend to everyone, very good value for money.

1  Thank Gill D
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sopwell House overnight and we had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant. The service was attentive but not overbearing and the a la carte food was of a high standard, beautifully presented and tasty. We enjoyed our meal very much and would return. Similarly the buffet breakfast in the restaurant was very good, a lively buzzy atmosphere and plenty of choice.