“Excellent special Sunday lunch”

The Restaurant at Sopwell House
Ranked #68 of 347 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$49 - US$83
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at Sopwell House is located in a stunning Georgian country house in St Albans. With its high ceilings and classic, sleek decor and AA Rosette award-winning status, The Restaurant serves modern British and European cuisine. Opening Hours: Lunch: 12:30pm to 3:00pm on Sunday, Wednesday & Friday. Dinner: 7:00pm to 9.30Pm on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Eight of us took my mother here this Sunday to celebrate her 80th birthday. The service was excellent, the bar very comfortable and the restaurant very accommodating. the food was good, if not great, but they made Mum a fabulous birthday cake and made us all feel very welcome and special. Recommended.

1  Thank roy43

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I had taken our cousin who came to visit from Australia. I had booked the reservation over the phone and had specified that we are all vegetarians and eat no meat or fish. The lady I had spoke to said she had made a note and that they would cateer for our dietary requirements. Again, when we were seated I repeated this to our waiteress who said she will inform the chef. Then the waiteress brings us a stand with our afternoon tea with chicken and salmon fillings. We had then called her over again and she did not apologise and said she will send a replacement. By this point, we had finished our scones and were ready to have something savoury. She bought out another plate with sandwiches. My husband had tried them first and we had soon realised there was chicken in the sandwiches. We called the waitress over again and asked what was in the sandwiches to which she replied chicken. I then said to her that i had already mentioned we do not eat meat. She took the plate away and finally bought over a plate of vegetarian sandwiches as we had completed all the cakes. I could not believe we did not get any apologies and for a mistake to happen twice! Very bad service! Definitely will not return here!

2  Thank Nisha69
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Well it wasnt great, but I guess it wasnt awful either. Just very average. The sandwiches were quite bland, but the cakes and scones were lovely. The bill came out wrong and the waitress maintained she was correct until she eventually went and checked.
Considering the price, I expected alot more of an experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I took a friend here for her 50th Birthday on Saturday 19th July 2014, and we had a lovely afternoon. I had explained dietary requirements when booking and they were as requested. I had informed staff that it was my friend's birthday and they brought out a cake with a candle in it. The staff were all polite and helpful.
The only reason I have not given it 5/5 is that it was very humid on Saturday and there were no fans or air con and when I requested chicken sandwiches I was told this was not possible and yet they were available in the gluten free afternoon tea.
I must stress that these were only minor issues and we truly did have a lovely afternoon. I have had afternoon at many different locations and I would recommend afternoon tea here.

1  Thank RachelA86
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were there for a few days had a lovely meal in the restaurant some of the meals were very pricey we had the steak meal for just under £20 it was very nice and you would pay that in most places . The staff were very helpful and polite i would eat there again .