“What a shame!”
Review of Chez Mumtaj

Chez Mumtaj
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Mumtaj is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 344 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$36 - US$144
Cuisines: Asian, French
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I went to this well known restaurant for the first time last night.
After reading all the reviews, we were slightly apprehensive regarding the potentially slow service, but hoped the food would be something special.
As it tuns out, we were correct on both accounts.

Woefully "over attentive" service during the first five minutes, followed by a complete lack of it for the entire duration of the evening.
The 30 minute wait for the starter might be acceptable on a Saturday night at 9.00 pm, but not the 60 minutes between finishing the starter and the main course arriving.
Absolute chaos in staff management ( there were loads of staff, but clearly the majority are simply untrained!) and in the end we decided to learn from the couple next to us, who waited nearly 45 minutes for the bill, and got up and walked to the bar to pay there.
The owner/manager (?) rather grumpily took our payment, made very little effort to enquire if we had enjoyed the food, and clearly felt any apology for the slow service was unnecessary ( perhaps because Saturday nights are always like this?) .

What a crying shame, as the food was spectacular. I think my wife and I know Indian/ Asian food better than most, and have eaten in all the best places in the UK, and many in India too, and this was right up with the best.
I suspect with the correct management they could even obtain a Michelin Star if the food was all you were judged on, but unless management accept this ( and if you read the countless other reviews saying pretty much the same thing, they clearly have issues in this area) then it's going to be difficult for us to choose risking a return visit, which, as I say, is a great shame!

1  Thank John S

Reviewed 19 July 2014

For me the menu here is a disaster. Indian food has hundreds of years of mixing beautiful spices together and they work not sure why you would tamper with that? An Amuse bouche tasted like a piece of chicken with barbecue sauce more chicken but definetly a chicken dipper type batter. The menu was neither one thing or another - not real Indian or french cuisine and failed on both accounts. I struggled to identify anything where I thought the flavour mix would work and in the end settled for chicken tikka and lamb shanks. The chicken tikka was on wasabi mash - the chunks of chicken were too big in comparison for the mash and too dry on their own, added to this was a mint coulis which firstly tasted like mint sauce from the jar and to my taste did not go at all with the rest. I followed with a main course which was lamb shanks with curry sauce french beans carrot and spinach rice. The food was only tepid which on a very hot day was surprising, whilst this was okay for the vegetables and the rice, lamb served tepid is not great and I felt I could not eat it. Apart from being cold the vegetables were fine but did not go with rogan josh sauce - with this Aloo gobi would have worked. I would not go here again but I was in a minority the rest of the group liked what they had. If you want the blend and slices of India developed over years go to an Indian restaurant there are loads of fabulous places everywhere. if you want french cuisine made modern go to Cliveden where you can have amazing mixes that work - Andre Garrett knows what he is doing and you have a 3 course market menu for £28, getting a better meal, setting and level of service that is in a different league and less expensive.

2  Thank Annette C
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We travelled up from London to meet friends not expecting anything special. How wrong we were. The food was presented beautifully, the choice was excellent, the service was attentive without being rushed, the wine list had a good choice and reasonably priced. The food throughout the evening was lovely, there was a good ambience to the place and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

One of the best meals and certainly the best Indian meal I have had. Food was wonderful and service could not be faulted. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody and will definitely be going back!

1  Thank Beth B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visited yesterday, very well worth it! Food is well prepared and fresh, innovative. The service was excellent and very flexible. Would definitely recommend going here and would go again. It's a little more pricey than a regular Indian restaurant, but then, it's not a 'regular' Indian! Very upscale, impressive nice decor as well.