“very nice :)”

Price range: US$21 - US$83
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a family run restuarant serving traditional homecooked Italian food cooked from fresh with passion. We also have montly specials including desserts.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

First time we tried this place, yes it does not have the decor to the new modern restaurant in st albans but we thought it added to the charm and made it very cosy.

The service was good and what you should expect when dining out which is hard to find these days in st albans

The food was excellent and would say it deserves to be no1 on trip advisor. The reviews of this place being overpriced is far from the truth, we found very reasonable , so if your going out for the food and not the decor i would recommend this place.

1  Thank 19Bubble79

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I decided to visit Bar Espresso due to the masses of glowing reviews in it favours. I understood it was a little rough round the edges and that was part of its charm. I was expecting a fairly priced establishment reflective of its rudimentary interiors. This wasn't the case.

I went for my girlfriend's birthday and it ruined the celebration. The dishes are priced at other expensive restaurant prices, despite being pretty basic in flavour and the restaurant offering very basic comforts. That would be fine if the food made up for it, but it was all flavourless and standard food.

The waiter was rude and abrupt with us. He showered attention on other tables, i guess he didn't think he could get a good tip out of us so there was no point. We weren't told specials either. The toilets were pretty shabby too.

I'm really disappointed, i thought the food would at least be good but my salami pizza literally had sliced basic sausages on it. the king prawn starter wasn't special either, despite being £8! there was just no real flavour. The same for my partners pasta dish. It was sauce with a basic tomato sauce and pieces of bacon fat.

I don't see how they can charge premium prices for basic food in such shabby settings. Other restaurants charge these prices for good food in comfortable surroundings.

It was just a shame to spoil a night. highlight was the good parking space we got outside the front. Other diners loved it so maybe we were REALLY unlucky. Parting with the £30 for 2 mains, 1 starter and 2 soft drinks was painful because I enjoyed it so little.

13  Thank HelenGaz
Ross A, Owner at Bar Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thanks for your review, you describe your experience as being disappointing, I would like to apologise for this. You describe the food as being basic. you had king prawns which are cooked in a white wine lemon garlic and chilly sauce hardly bland. You describe your pizza as having sliced basic sausage. The sausage is actually home made using best British pork salt pepper and fennel seeds from our village in Sicily and made by our fathers from a traditional recipe (hardly basic) the salami is from Napoli and yes it is sliced. you describe our pasta with a basic sauce and pieces of bacon fat. The pasta you are describing is the ala matriciana ingredients tomato sauce pancetta onions touch of chilly. Our tomato sauce takes 3-4 hours to make and again to a authentic traditional recipe which is enjoyed by many regular italian customers. £30 for a starter 2 mains and 2 drinks is very good value for money and I challenge you to find cheaper

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had a brilliant meal last night at Bar Espresso after a recommendation and was not disappointed.

I was a bit surprised when I looked up the location as I'd often walked by and assumed that it was simply a lunch-time sandwich bar, but at night it transforms into the best restaurant in St Albans.

I went for the Lobster special with spaghetti and was amazed by the size of the portion and quite how delicious the tomato sauce was.

Top tip - maybe book ahead if you can as we assumed that we could just walk in at 2030 on a Wednesday but were waiting on the terrace for 15 mins for a table (in the sunshine with a drink!)

1  Thank markyd72
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Went here with my partner and another couple on the 30th... one guys i was with is italian and had suggested this place so i had a idea that it would be good.. the food was out of this world and the portions huge... i had the calamari to start followed by the lobster/seafood spaghetti... i was so full i had to take some home... the owners Nick and Ross made us feel so welcome... we will be coming back...

2  Thank pinderlina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just had to do a second review, why because its that good.I had a plate of lobster king prawns and calmari as good as it gets. the others mains were paster and grilled fish again first class. This is a family run place great service nothing is to much for them what ever you want you get! So if you are in St Albans you must give it a try you will be pleased you did.

3  Thank Trevor F