“Another Lovely Meal at the Dragon Pearl”
Review of The Dragon Pearl

The Dragon Pearl
Ranked #132 of 739 Restaurants in Isle of Wight
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 February 2019

This time we decided on the set dinner for two. It was served very quickly and all the dishes were piping hot.

The details of the meal for two are set out below..

Mixed Starter (Sesame Prawn on Toast, Spare Ribs (Dry) Mixed Vegetable Spring Rolls, Crispy Samosas & Crispy Seaweed)

Crispy Aromatic Duck (Served with Pancakes, Cucumber, Spring Onion & Hoi Sin Sauce)

King Prawns with Bamboo Shoots & Chinese Straw Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce

Chicken in Light Batter with Salt & Peppercorn (Hot)

Double Cooked Pork

Young Chow Fried Rice

I have never seen so much crispy aromatic duck for two and all of it was good quality meat accompanied by a generous helping of cucumber, spring onion and hoisin sauce.

We booked our table for 6:30pm and the place was very quiet but it is advisable to book as the restaurant does a brisk "take-away" trade and, even if they don't look busy in the seating area, they may be rushed in the kitchens.

The restaurant is clean and spacious and easily reached from all parts of Shanklin.

We will be back when we return for our next holiday on the Diamond Isle.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed 12 February 2019

Having worked all day no one wanted to cook just grab something nice for tea so with so many choices in Shanklin we opted for a Chinese and were so glad. We picked the meal up twentyfive minutes after phoning through the order and enjoyed every morsel very satisfied indeed.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 31 December 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is deservedly the top of the list of Chinese restaurants on the Isle of Wight. The standard of cooking is a “notch up” on the usual Chinese restaurants on the Island. We started with the salt and pepper chicken and dry spare ribs. Both were superb! I then had their brilliant Kung Poh Chicken and a Yung Chow fried rice - both beautifully made as usual. If you visit do try their double cooked pork. You will be hard pushed to find better food outside of China Town in London.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 31 December 2018 via mobile

I hope things improve, this truly was the best Chinese on the Island, but sadly no longer, it has changed chefs/hands not very good at all. Used to eat in or have a take away quite a lot. Kung Po and Crispy chilli beef served in soggy batter. Will leave a while and try again hopefully teething problems ☹️

4  Thank happynotPlayaBlanca
Reviewed 18 December 2018 via mobile

As a family we have been coming here for many years and as we had more family down from the mainland we thought it would be a nice treat.

I think the restaurant has changed hands recently as I do not recognise many of the staff there now(?) My Mixed Meat Curry was somehow sweet & not very savoury in my view, I asked for it hot but it was not & I paid for it. As a table we ordered x3 portions of ribs but all had to be returned, refused to pay for them as they were possibly cut wrong, very, very gristly (pictured) My lad is a fussy eater but always liked the ribs here, not this time.

Its a real shame it has gone 'down hill' as it was the best Chinese Food on the island I thought. I will not be rushing back but will keep an eye on reviews & speak to friends who eat there before returning.

Per Ardua 96