“Will try again soon”

Ranked #249 of 667 Restaurants in Isle of Wight
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

So I went with friends for New years lunch it was cheap enough food average service very friendly we caught them at a bad time really the owners had taken over at Xmas which is at best hard work so impressed they did as well as they did will aim to go again once they have settled and made their mark certainly potential

There are newer reviews for Woodmans Arms

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We went here after being disappointed elsewhere, unbooked with a party of eight, but they managed to sort us very quickly by moving some tables around. The food was good, and outrageously huge portions - I've got a pretty big appetite and I struggled to clear my plate. The carbonara that my friend had was monstrously good and I embarrassed myself by clearing her leftovers. So good, we decided to return the following night for another go, and was just as happy then.
The morris dancers were a little overwhelming but certainly enthusiastic (although they came dangerously close to begging for cash at the end), and I was a little disappointed that they couldn't serve me a carbonara as a starter.

So with good rather than outstanding food, slightly over-noisy entertainment, and a dish I couldn't have how I wanted, how come this place got my first ever 5^ review? Easy - the lady who looked after us was simply outstanding. She sorted out our complicated billing split, came over several times to check how we were and if we needed drinks, remembered most of our drinks when we came back the second night and even which dish each of us had had, and had a smile and a friendly demeanor from the beginning to the end. I was amazed at the end of the night to find out she wasn't the landlady but just our waitress. Whatever this pub is paying her, it isn't enough - friendly and helpful staff will overcome any number of minor irritations and this lady did it in spades.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We arrived straight off the ferry from Portsmouth. It was pouring with rain and it was about 3pm so we were hungry!
We ordered fairly fast but the food did take a while to come and we had also ordered a plate of nachos (a main course) to share. So we ordered 8 main courses and there were 7of us - this was confirmed when the waitress took our order. She also was not familiar with the beer the pub served, and I had to go up to the bar to clarify my dad's order.
When the food arrived we were missing my father's meal. He needs to eat regularly so the additional 20 minutes wait for his meal did not help. There was little in the way of apology which was disappointing.
The food was fine and the portions were generous, it was just the service that let it down. A large table next to us seem to get their food much faster than we did.

1  Thank Sybersal
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stopped here for lunch after a recommendation and yes the portions were very generous but sad to say that the flavour of my fried fish was a bit poor. Lots of good chunky chips and a bowl of salad....um. Having said this about the food, may I say the staff very welcoming and accommodating even though quite busy with a continuous flow of people through the door. Great beer on offer. It is obviously popular and maybe we were just unlucky?

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We found the Woodmans Arms on Tripadvisor, and planned our day out accordingly. What a great find!
It was easy to find on our way from Ryde to Newport, and had plenty of parking when we visited on a Tuesday at lunchtime.
The staff were extremely welcoming, and attentive throughout.
We had Cheese Chilli Nachos, and Lambs Liver and Bacon with mashed potato and vegetables. Both were a good portion.
The nachos were spread completely with chilli beef, kidney beans and cheese. The pots of sour cream and guacamole were just the right size.
Hubby had the Liver and Bacon - a huge meal! Creamy mash, lovely onion gravy and plenty of it. Three veg - carrots, brocolli, and cabbage...lovely!