“sometimes its good, other times not”

Terry's Fish & Chips
Ranked #353 of 666 Restaurants in Isle of Wight
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have had food from here alot in the past , usually on the way home from somewhere as I pass this place to my house. Sometimes I find the food is preety good, other times its like its been sat there a while and alot of the chips are all the crunchy bits left over. Also portion sizes are quite small, compared with other chip shops I use, like the one over pan estate, or a couple in newport town. A small portion from pan, is about as big as 2 large from here. Average chippy, there are better ones though.

There are newer reviews for Terry's Fish & Chips

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Lucky find pure gem Fish and Chip shop in Very nice small town high street wootton bridge only chip shop in village but don't worry it would be the best no matter if it wasn't. The people who run it are a great couple and staff very friendly smiley face no matter the weather but most of all excellent providers of food every item checked for prefect temperature and written down like a science lab and it works the food is always AAA and always hot when you get home, So give it a try for your carry out Fish and Chips p.s. steak pie is to die for scrumptious writing this is making me hungry I'm off to Terry's now ,

1  Thank 1lorimer
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Had cod and chips takeaway; the service was polite and quite friendly (must have been a different person to the last review) - pretty expensive for a chippy in a run-down area (£1.85 for a normal sized portion of chips). Nice quality fish but batter a little-bit too greasy and overcooked, chips nice but had been left hanging a bit too long so didn't taste overly fresh. Not bad but would look at other options before going back again.

1  Thank JonandJane186273
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This place was brightly lit, exceptionally clean but had staff with the worst customer service in the UK.

There was no welcome, I stood there for nearly four minutes before anyone actually acknowledged I was there.

No salutation, no welcome just "what do you want?". Two cod and chips please I replied. "Ten pounds ten" came the reply.

When the money was offered a voice said "I'm not reaching over for that". Being as the place has the construction similar to a railway carriage you are forced to push past the six or seven waiting people to get to the vertically challenged woman who could hardly be seen behind the counter.

I immediately recognised her as the "voice" given that a smile was nowhere near her countenance. I handed over the money and waited with my hand out for the receipt which was not forthcoming. I did ask as she turned away "may I have the receipt please" to which I was given a look as if I had just defecated on the counter.

A receipt was printed and it was casually tossed on the top of the hot display rather than into my still outstretched hand. I promptly asked for my money back and left the receipt on top of the display to which I received the reply " how much do you want?" Having reminded the indolent individual of the cost I rescued my money - from the top of the hot display and beat a hasty retreat.

Now whilst it is clearly quite uncommon for customers to demand their money back given the ease with which it was provided, it is apparent that the fatal mistakes many businesses make are clearly evident at Terry's Fish & Chips.

Bad service consists of long waits, poor attention and inexperienced customer focused staff.

61% of customers take their business to a competitor after a poor customer service experience - not that Terry's seem to care.

71% of consumers end a business relationship due to a poor customer service experience - I did and will not ever be back.

The food service sector lost £44 million last year alone solely because of bad customer service!

The Isle of Wight is an island which relies on its tourist trade for these businesses to make money. There is a chinese and an indian take away next door, they profited well from my money that night so if you are desperate to have a fish supper whilst you are in Wootten Bridge, best use another one to prevent disappointment.

10  Thank Jox222