“Great cycling path”

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Great cycling path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I hired a bicycle at Ken's in Margate (a good source) and heads west toward Reculver. My intnetion was to do the entire loop, but I could not tell from the map whether it was possible to ride all the way around, so I headed south on a footpath toward Minster and once I got there I rejoined the Coastal path and road the rest of it around through Ramsgate and Broadstairs and back to Margate. My daughter lives in Margate, so I have done this many times. I was lucky enough to have a rain-free, wind-free day, which does not happend very oftern. I agree with one of the reviewers that the riding is difficult on a windy day to the extent that you are riding into the wind. There are nice places to stop for coffee or lunch close to the trail in Ramsgate and Broadstairs. The bike hire shops have maps. It is a good idea to take one in case you want to ride off the trail.

1 Thank tinaindenver

United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“A fantastic walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I only walked part of this 27 mile loop walk. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.
What a great way to see the coast and you're never far from public toilets (so many on the route) and beach cafes. And of course you walk through many towns too, so you can stop for lunch whenever you're hungry!

3 Thank MagicDawn
Kent, UK
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Reculver: Dog poo ally”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Hello all,

I have just returned from the country park at Reculver near to Herne Bay in Kent.

May I suggest that if ytou ever have the opportunity to visit that place you grab the chance to wash your hair or watch paint dry instead.

This wind swept, desolate & derelict tourist trap is situated on the north Kent coast. It is a raised foot path high up on the sea wall with a shingle beach on one side and a swampy wasteland on the other. The concrete path along which one walks is used as a cycle speedway track with dozens of MAMILs (Middle Aged Men In Lycra) racing along the path swerving around the dog walkers and ramblers. For your delectation and enjoyment the thoughtful dog walkers have strewn the beach and path with dozens of bags of dog poo. Maybe it is a local game for the children to spot how many different coloured plastic bags can be seen in a given distance.

Close to the car park there is a cafe or may be it is a kennel and I was mistaken. I went in to get a bite to eat and a hot tea to warm up after the stroll o the sea wall. Sadly it was more like a kennel inside. There were several dogs inside the cafe sitting close to their owners. As I sat down one of the dogs thought it was a good idea to try to sniff round me. MISTAKE!!!!!! I pushed it away and told it to sod off. The owner was most indignant at my actions. I told the dog owner that I did not agree with dogs in cafes as I feel that it is unhygenic. I got up to leave, at the door noticed that there was a sign that rates the cafe as 4 stars for hygine. I wonder, was it Crufts that gave the award? Surely it could not be the local council environmental health department.

Will I go again? NO, Would I reccomend it, Yes, but only as a place to avoid.

7 Thank sladest2
Canterbury, United Kingdom
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Great way to spend an afternoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

This is a lovely coastal cycle route running around the Isle Of Thanet, very easy as it's mostly flat and very safe as it's almost entirely off-road. I did the section between Reculver and Broadstairs. You have superb coastal scenery the whole way and countryside views too between Reculver and Minnis Bay. Bikes can be hired at Minnis Bay car park. Much of the route is a shared foot & cycle path so you have to take care especially on the sea wall between Reculver and Minnis Bay which is popular with dog walkers and between Westgate and Margate you must get off your bike past the beach huts during summer. There are many train stations along the route if you want to cycle one way and return by train, and plenty of seaside cafes along the way. The sea breezes can be strong here so I would advise to check the weather and wind direction before setting out.

Visited May 2011