“Great place to stay - Would definately recommend”
Review of The Kings Head

The Kings Head
Ranked #16 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes
“Great place to stay - Would definately recommend”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

As soon as I arrived at the pub - I was made to feel very welcome.
Stayed here for 3 nights - was sad to leave as I had begun to feel at home..........but will certainly come back to visit
Everyone was so friendly - staff, visitors to the pub and not forgetting the cats which were adorable!
Food excellent - Being Vegetarian - it was great to be able to have a yummy veggie breakfast and a choice of non-meat meals in the evening
I stayed in Room 2 which was very clean, full of character and comfortable - Another big plus being the wide choice of drinks available in the room: Breakfast Tea/Fruit Teas/Normal and Decaff Coffee/Hot Chocolate. Biscuits also yummy
This is a great base for exploring Canterbury and I am glad I came across it whilst searching for a reasonable priced bed & breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chatellerault, France
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Planned for a stay en route to the ferry at Dover. Due to traffic, etc we were going to be late for the 9 pm meal deadline. I phoned ahead and was told " no problem, we can rustle up something" In fact we arrived at 9.30 and the full menu was available; fantastic! It's a proper old-fashioned, and very old, pub. Good beer, good food, good, comfortable rooms. Our bathroom was a little tired, but clean with everything necessary. The beds were comfortable, etc. A little problem with road noise in the morning, but that's unavoidable. In the morning we had a great english breakfast. The hosts are frindly and efficient. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I normally stay in hotel chains as I know what to expect. However I had to get a hotel within driving distance of Dover and was not able to book in the normal chain hotel. Found the Kings Arms and thought I would give it a go. Fantastic experience, you can feel the history of the place, room quiet, clean and very comnfortable. A range of drinks on the guest tea tray ( including a big box of drinking chocolate). The ensuite - amazing what you can fit into a small space, but everything worked well with a good shower. Hospitable hosts, and the food- the bes qualityt and at a reasonable price. Locals friendly and welcoming, will stay there again. Down side the car parking is limited so we used the nearby car park.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2010

The pub is a lovely old traditional pub and for the price was very good value. The breakfast was really lovely and being vegetarian was well catered for with veg sausages, mushrooms, baked beans, toast etc.
I was in room 1 at the back and couldn't hear any road noise or noise from the bar. The downside for me was location. Its on a main road and not the prettiest part of Canterbury and as I was a women travelling alone, I wouldn't walk from, town back to the pub at night.. If I went to Canterbury again, I would choose a more central location, but of course if your on a budget and with a travelling partner this pub is a great option.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Pam82trip
Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2008

This was a great find!! This is a very old English Inn/Pub. My room, #1, was small but so charming and lots of personalty. Wood beams, little window looking out over the roof, an old skeleton key to open the door. The en-suite WC/restroom was small but very clean and was just fine for me. My mattress and pillows were heavenly (newly purchased I was told).The people there are wonderful and very helpful. The family pets are there also, which gave it more of a home feeling to me. They are very sweet and never in the way. Even though the rooms are over the pub, you cant hear anything! The food (I couldn't get up in time for breakfast) was fantastic and a lot of it!
The locals go to the pub nightly and are so nice and welcoming. They even invited me over to join them and I had a blast! GREAT beers, ales...etc. too.

The Cathedral is within walking distance as well as other sites and loads of shops in the village. The bus station is not far from the Inn and The Kings Head will call you a taxi if needed.

Overall: I have had a great stay, good food, friendly people, easy to get to what I wanted to see and I felt very safe!

• Liked — I felt safe and very at home here and it was close to what I wanted to see.
  • Disliked — No Lift
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
billericay
Reviewed 13 February 2008

Loved the true and proper essence of the place. The Bar is full of locals and real cask ale is the theme. The place is friendly, food is very reasonable and perfectly acceptable. The rooms are average but the real charm of the place is the History. There’s not many places in the world where you can stay in a 500 + year old building. For value for money and location this charming Inn will be hard to better.

• Liked — Its charm and character
  • Disliked — Limited carpart spaces
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank martinryder1956