“We felt at home immediately”
Review of House of Agnes

House of Agnes
Ranked #1 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The House of Agnes was the first stop on our holiday in England. We got a warm welcome by Steve and felt immediately at home. We stayed in the Boston room which was fresh and inviting. The bed was very comfortable and the Kentish breakfast was delicious. The hotel is conveniently located, just a five minute walk from the cathedral. Yes, the entrance to the parking area is very narrow, but we managed to squeeze through without any problems. The hotel is very good value for money and we look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Like previous reviewers, we were welcomed by very friendly staff and shown to our room despite being nearly two hours earlier than the 3pm check-in. We stayed in the Boston room, which was extremely comfortable and very quiet, overlooking the garden.
One concern had been mentions of very tight car parking but, in fact, it is just the entrance to the car park that is extremely narrow, once you are in there is plenty of space.
The honesty bar is a lovely touch (unfortunately our bill was rather large due to lack of self control!) and the garden is lovely to sit in after walking around the sights of Canterbury. If I had to complain about anything it would be that our cooked breakfasts were not quite what we ordered on both mornings but the staff were extremely busy and this did not detract from our enjoyment of our stay at all. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Terrific little hotel with wonderful staff, thanks Tracey & Alan

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stayed at the hotel as my friend had her wedding there. It was very handy for sight seeing in Canterbury, and did an excellent vegetarian breakfast.
My only complaint would be that the spirits served in the bar were a bit generic, and didn't cater for a younger taste.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
HOAgnes, Owner at House of Agnes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

We aim to please here at the House of Agnes so its always great to receive a compliment. The fact that we can also please our vegetarian guests is a real boost to our comfidence! Thank you!

Our Honesty Bar is stocked with an ample selection of local Kentish beers, ciders, wines, soda and juices but in the case of 'Exclusive Use' weddings (as in your case) provisions for the bar are arranged directly with the bride and groom.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

I spent 2 nights at the "House of Agnes" in Canterbury this week, on a visit to see the city. I discovered it online when I was looking for somewhere to stay close to the city centre, Cathedral, etc. The booking experience was a pleasure, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, especially as I arrived much later than planned due to electrical storms mucking up the rail network.

The HoA was a 2 minute walk from Canterbury West station. I was warmly welcomed, and shown around the place. Lovely breakfast room, a library/quiet/reading room, a games room and a well stocked "honesty bar" with exceptionally reasonable prices - lovely! To boot, an extensive and beautiful garden, perfect for reading the paper in the morning after breakfast.

My room was the Mumbai room on the top floor - I'd checked it out on the website beforehand, knew it wasn't massive, but ideal for me. It was on the top floor of the property, overlooking a busy main road. The secondary glazing and superb (and unexpected) air-conditioning did their job with aplomb. The room had everything I needed, including a most comfortable bed. Full Freeview digital television, speedy (and free) WiFi and a compact but superb bathroom, with a very powerful shower.

Breakfast was excellent - a selection of yoghurts, cereals and (freshly prepared) fruit salad. This was then exceeded by the locally-sourced and delicious Kentish Breakfast (full English). Service was swift, and the coffee decent and restorative.

Canterbury is a marvellous city, and in my experience this is an ideal place to base yourself for a visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night, joining my sister and her husband. Our room was quite small, but had everything we could want, and was very comfortable. The staff were so welcoming and friendly, and the service was excellent. We especially liked the gardern, the honesty bar ( we had it to ourselves, and, compared with London prices, the bar bill was very small!) and the breakfast. My sister and I are vegetarian, so were very happy with the fruit salad, muffins and yoghurts on offer, whereas my husband enjoyed the cooked breakfast. The hotel is so close to the lovely centre of the town that you can easily walk everywhere, and, since we had come by train, the proximity of the station was a plus. ( We didn't hear any trains during the night!) I would happily return again!

Reviewed 18 June 2011

The welcome was great and the rooms were lovely. Everything you could possibly want with lots of extra thoughtful touches. Nothing was too much trouble. Close enough to Canterbury to walk and explore the lovely town, so nice not to have to use the car.

Would highly recommend to family and friends and hope to return.