“Ok, not great ”

House of Agnes
Ranked #2 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
“Ok, not great ”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I came here with my girlfriend for our anniversary, as we hadn't been to Canterbury before and thought we'd go and treat ourselves. The website was very inviting, and first impressions were great. We had the Tokyo room which looked like it had just been done up and it was very clean. Unfortunately that was the extent of the positives for our stay in the hotel. The bed was at an angle, by which I mean it wasn't completely horizontal, so rolling to one edge of the bed was a bit odd. We were there in the middle of winter and the room would not cool off, at all. And I had a bath on the first night and the plug got stuck, I told the woman on reception (who was less than happy to help, bit too much of a sense of worth for my liking) who reported that her man who fixes things was taking his daughter swimming and it's a new bath so shouldn't be broken. Note: excuses and no apologies. When we got back later that day, the plug had been removed entirely so we couldn't have a bath with "nothing to be done about it".

There were some nice staff there, the younger ones, who were polite and eager to advise us on things to do and see, and the breakfast was ace. But the room and service from one of the ladies in particular ( possibly the owner, and perhaps being a couple in our late 20's we weren't supposed to feel welcome...) spoiled our stay in what was a very beautiful and charming town

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D
HOAgnes, Owner at House of Agnes, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hi Tom,
I'm sorry that you had such a completely miserable stay. I apologise that the Tokyo room was warm in midwinter however your room had been fitted with a very efficient and quiet air conditioner that is very easy to use.
Thank you for bringing to my attention that the bed was slightly uneven. The house is very old (600yrs) so everything is a bit lopsided. I try to keep up with the swaying and sinking but sometimes it gets ahead of me!

Since your stay we have re-leveled the bed and its once again on an even keel.

The bathroom and bedroom, as you guessed, had only just been entirely refitted, so yes, I was a bit frustrated that (a) the bathplug has broken and (b) my maintenance man was not there. I did remove the complicated plug mechanics in order to take it to a plumbing suppliers. After two hours of searching I confess I gave up and ordered the replacement online. Even though I bought an old-fashioned plug, it unfortunately didn't fit. Luckily though, you had a brand new shower in the bathroom too. So I hope that you were able to use that instead.
I'm so sorry that you thought I didn't care. I care very, very much about each and every guest; old, young and middle aged.
In fact I remembered that it was your anniversary, so on arrival as a little treat I had put an Anniversary card and chocolates in your room. So you see, I really did try my best to make you comfortable but unfortunately it was not successful for which I apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Turkish first
Gloucestershire, UK
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Just had 3 nights here in one of the Stable rooms. It is hard to fault it!
The room was clean and comfortable with an excellent shower. It was too hot for duvets but no problem getting some blankets instead. (NB to all hotels - a 10 tog duvet is crazy in the summer!)
Breakfast was excellent and the lounge and 'honour' bar were comfortable and convenient.

Most amazing is the quiet and peaceful garden which belies the fact that the front of the hotel is on a main road and about 200m from the gates of Canterbury. An oasis of calm.

ALL the staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for you.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All the information you need is on the excellent website.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have just returned from a three day stay at the House of Agnes and can honestly say we had a great time. The staff are welcoming and friendly, the rooms spotlessly clean and most surprising of all is the large and peaceful garden tucked away behind. Our room was Venice which was lovely with a Jacuzzi bath in the room and French doors leading into the garden.
Parking is a little tricky, especially navigating the narrow archway but there appeared to be room for all the guests.
There are nice touches like luxurious bath towels and flannels, thick toilet paper and up market toiletries.
The honesty bar is wonderful - you help yourself and just write down what you have taken, they add it to your bill at the end of your stay.
There are DVD players in the rooms and a small library of DVDs to chose from .
Breakfast is good with a selection of cereals and choice of cooked food with locally sourced sausages and bacon
The B&B is located just outside the west gate and is within easy walking distance of Canterbury attractions, restaurants and pubs.
All in all an excellent B&B and a great find

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quitter than those at the front
1 Thank SparkyMark56
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My room in the main house was very comfortable and well equipped. Bathroom a little small but again well supplied with good shampoo etc. Public spaces and gardens a big plus. Breakfast was very good indeed and ingredients of a high quality. Elegantly presented. Portion was not massive but more than enough. Reception staff very helpful and polite. I would very much like to stay here again. Value for money was good.

Room Tip: Select your room carefully as all rooms in main building are unique.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

A perfect setting in Canterbury with lovely touches to make you feel at home and want to come back. The honesty bar and the DVD library is an adult way to treat guest. The bed was not too soft and breakfast plentiful. We will return.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank pne1pne1
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Love this quaint B&B and the feeling of history. Not weighed down by age, there are some fun furnishings located around and about. The gear clock, the glowing electric chair (must see it at night), wifi (not always great but it was free), honor bar, silver gilt throne chair all fit in funkaly with the exposed beams, brick walls and crooked stair case. I can't believe they even fit in bathrooms in the rooms. True the shower in my room, the Mumbai was tiny but this building is FIVE HUNDRED years old, the is not a lot of wiggle room available.
Nice touches in the room a plenty, tea service, cookies, water bottles, heated towel rack.

If you have large heavy luggage, bad knees or can't climb stairs don't stay on the top floor. I love the leaning staircase that magically leveled out after a trip to the local pub. Also watch your head, the ceilings up stairs can be a hazard for us modern giants.

Breakfast was tasty. Fresh local products that started the day off with a cheer.

Walking distance to everywhere, the train station, the west gate into the walled city and of course the reason everyone goes to Canterbury - the Canterbury Tales exhibit, oh and of course the cathedral.

Stay here if you want to be a stay in a real piece history and a non standard hotel that you will remember. If you want a large soaking tub, a sink that will float a yacht, a bed the size of a 747 and impersonal staff then find the nearest chain hotel.

Oh and for the record, never heard or saw any ghosts. I am sure they must have been on holiday.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs ask to stay downstairs.
1 Thank Carol232b
Sheffield, england
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stable block room was clean, roomy and well equipped. Breakfast was good, apart from the tea. Staff very helpful and friendly. Furnishings in dining room different! Easy walk to the heart of Canterbury. Only downside was that the train line was nearer to the rooms than we had expected and although the trains stop around 11pm they start again at 6am and some people might be disturbed by the rumble as they pass, despite the measures taken to try and soundproof the rooms. Useful to have on-site parking though we had to pull our mirrors in when going through the entrance.

Room Tip: Look carefully at the website and choose what suits you.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple