“New name, same staff”

Dining options: Breakfast
Deal
“New name, same staff”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This restaurant was part of the Poppins chain but went independent with the same staff. Appropriately for 2014 it is now called Poppies and has a poppy on the menu card. The menu is much the same, with all day breakfasts, jacket potatoes and burger meals the staple diet. The coffee is generously supplied in mugs. A selection of sweets with a choice of ice cream, cream or custard is on offer. The interior seemed much as I remember it, and the service was quite prompt. Jackets come with some side salad and a choice of fillings. Handy for the High Street shops and Marlowe theatre. It was an incredibly wet day with the river almost over topping, but later in the year more tourists would make up the mix. ,

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Martin T

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Cheap an cheerful”
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

During a trip to Canterbury, I decided to take lunch here as I have eaten here a few times. Due to having a newborn, we ate outside as I didn't want my little one to disturb other customers.
Our food and coffees arrived quickly and the meal was very enjoyable.
The decor and toilets inside the restaurant are pretty poor but this is a still a good place to get a cheap hot meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank lel1978
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“No frills meals and snacks”
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have eaten here several times and although the food isn't amazing, I always enjoy what I order.
Last time we visited, my partner needed the toilet and wasn't impressed. The toilets are up a really steep flight of stairs and he said there are random wires everywhere. I'm sure in an inspection, this will cause the owner a few issues as it's unsafe and a disabled person wouldn't be able to climb those stairs. I'm heavily pregnant and I would have struggled too!
Back to the food though, it's a no frills experience, relatively cheap and cheerful. If you want more than that - go elsewhere.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank lel1978
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
“very good value”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

a lovely place to go for good food and a cup of tea. Very clean and staff lovely, could not be more helpful

Visited July 2012
2 Thank kathryn C
suffolk
“Enjoyed our meal.......Stairs are like Mount Everest!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My son and I had our lunch here recently. It was served quickly and we enjoyed it. The stairs going up and down to the toilet are like climbing Mount Everest. If i eat there again i will make sure i go to the toilet beforehand!

• Visited February 2013