“Good Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Johns Court Guest House

St Johns Court Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canterbury
St Johns Court Guest House
Ranked #57 of 81 Canterbury B&B and Inns
California
“Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. Liz and her daughter Jess were very helpful. Liz kindly helped to get the wrinkles out of my dress and my husband's dress shirt by using her dryer. Our room was large, and the shared bathrooms/showers were clean. The location was excellent, a few minutes walk to the sights in Canterbury, so we could leave our car in the private parking area and walk around the city center.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at St John's Court for nine nights in July 201, with Mrs Rowe (Liz) as our hostess. She did everything possible to make us feel so incredibly welcome and was so very helpful and informative - giving us great ideas as to how we could best explore the Kent area. St John's is absolutely spotless and Mrs Rowe's breakfasts were to die for (especially the fantastic mushrooms). There were twelve cereals to choose from (and porridge was definitely available if anyone wanted it!), and the cooked breakfasts were awesome too. St John's is very central to attractions, bus and train stations (we used public transport and found it a great location to start from). We would highly recommend it to anyone, and feel envious of those who have the opportunity to visit.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

I stayed on a Monday night while in the city on business. Although I'd booked an inexpensive single room I was moved to a family room. The bed was comfortable but note that the rooms are not en suite, although the family room I was in did have basin and toilet en suite. The shower was good.
The landlady is business-like. This suited me just fine - others it may not.
Breakfast was good (I had the full English), and shared a table with the other single occupants as the dining room is small. While this may not be to everybody's liking, I met an interesting lady and had an enjoyable chat.
The location is brilliant. 5mins walk to the City Centre, and located in a quiet street.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidUK567
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for one night and had a light, airy room, which was very clean, with a TV on the wall and a sink in the corner. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast really good. I don't think there are any ensuite rooms, but there are plenty of toilets and several shower or bath rooms - I never had to wait.
The location is brilliant - right in the centre of town - and it is first class value for money. I dropped in on two friends staying in a different B+B ten minutes walk away and had a look at their room, and I definitely had the better deal!
Liz is certainly chatty and I think this would make or break your experience; however, if you are willing to chat she can't do enough for you. She really knows the area and has lots of suggestions. I found her helpful and friendly, but as some have suggested, if you want to be left alone, this isn't the B+B for you. But If I ever come back to Canterbury I wil be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

And so I read the reviews about Liz and braced myself for the worst. Yes she's a character, yes she refused to have any other guests to stay for fear they were attending one of the many balls on that weekend (as we were) and yes she could talk the hind leg off a donkey.
However, as long as you can put up with five minutes of inane chat, this B&B is really good value.
It's two seconds from the high street and cathedral (which by the way costs £9 to enter...), the rooms are good, and as there was only one other room occupied I never saw anyone else, let alone had to queue for one of the bathrooms.
Breakfast was brief as we arrived five minutes late. Of course it was noted by Liz but we were forgiven as she knew we'd been out the night before. To prove that she is human, she offered for us to leave our car in the parking space after checking out so that we could visit the town...
All in all if your room isn't the purpose of your visit to Canterbury, this is ideal.

Room Tip: Rm1 has 3beds but overlooks the road
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

I stayed for several nights and was put in a top floor room. It got rather cold and I looked to see if there was any supplementary heating. There was a cupboard and i opened it to find an electric heater. which I put on for 20 minutes. I mentioned this to Liz (the owner) next morning and in front of all of the guests she embarrassed me by saying loudly "youv'e been snooping in the cupboards have you' I went cold with shock and was dreadfully upset. It was the only breakfast i ate there, preferring to go out rather than risk another rude and unpleasant experience. There was a good deal of hair and detritus under the matress - I was not pleased

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank unnerved
Old Colwyn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Me and my boyfriend went to Canterbury for his birthday and decided to stay at St.Johns court guesthouse. We chose here because of the good location and the price for a double room with breakfast was about what we were looking to

pay (£40 per night).

The drive to Canterbury is very long from North Wales and I had spoken to Liz (the proprieter) on the phone to let

her know when we would be arriving. When I told her I was just going past Milton Keynes she was shocked as to why I had driven this way. She was convinced that the TOMTOM was wrong and that driving down the M6 then onto the M1 was not the fastest way. She believed that going down through Wales and across was much faster. She said she had driven from Hereford to Canterbury in an hour (even though there is over 200 miles between the two cities.) So before we ever arrived we had experienced Liz's attitude. When we finally arrived at about 9pm she showed us around the guesthouse, complaining about the shower and some of her guests during the tour. We paid and she showed us to our room which we were very relieved to get into after a whole day driving.

We stayed in room number 9 which was nicely decorated with a cream carpet and white walls. Some of the other rooms were garishly decorated, I think ours was the nicest. The room was spacious and had a small tv which had bad reception for most channels and there was also a little sink in the corner. The bathroom is shared with other guests which I thought was not reflected in the price. Overall our room was very clean and light and airy. Each day I woke up with insect bites all over my legs that itched like crazy. I am sure they were from bed bugs (even the cleanest of hotels can have bed bugs). This obviously put a bit of a dampener on our stay.

The breakfast supplied was fantastic, the best breakfast we have had anywhere. You can have full english, breakfast items with toast or cereals. We aren't vegetarian but some of the other guests were and she catered very well for them. The breakfast came with tea, coffee or orange juice. Liz managed to make us feel uncomfortable though and she moaned about a few of her guests over breakfast.

She asked what our plans were as she did every morning and I said we were going to Canterbury Tales. I had already been when I was younger and wanted to take my boyfriend to show him. Liz said how it was a terrible waste of money and that we would be better off going to visit Dover Castle (even though this is a half hour drive out of the city).

The overall stay was good but a few things really did let it down.

The GOOD - The location, 2 streets away from the city center. The breaskfast. The rooms.
The BAD - The price for a room without a private bathroom. The bed bugs! and Lizs attitude.

My boyfriend and I have both said we would stay here again but I would take some insecticide. I would recommend here as somewhere to stay in Canterbury for the location and breakfast alone. Just hope you aren't as unlucky with me with bed bugs and try not to pay attention to Lizs attitude.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple