“Perfect B&B the complete package”
Review of The Millers Arms

The Millers Arms
Ranked #4 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect B&B the complete package”
Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here four nights On the top floor overlooking the water feature . The room had everything plenty of space a large bathroom and everything you need for a comfortable stay . Great staff and a lovely choice of hot breakfasts.
Went to sleep with the sound of the water cascading down the mill like a gentle water fall, a perfect way to fall asleep.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank islae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I am originally from Canterbury and having visited the Millers Arms many times for food and drinks over the years, we decided to stay the night there when visiting family in the area. We were hugely dissappointed. We stayed in the Millers room which had a four poster bed and a jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately, the furniture, curtains, sofa etc were all very shabby and worn out. The bathroom also had a very distinct smell of mould and the jacuzzi bath had seen better days to say the least. The general feeling overall of the room was that it was "grubby". The cost of the room was £95, which we felt was a lot considering the condition of the room, however to be so close to the City Centre, we felt this was decent value for location alone. We wouldn't stay in the accommodation again, however the food is good here and we will continue to go back for that.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank O_D_Reed
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

~~~THE REVIEWER'S TALE~~~

~~IS THERE ANY ROOM AT THE INN?~~

I knew the date of my son and his fiancée's graduation ceremony, to be held in Canterbury Cathedral, but the time of the ceremony wasn’t announced until the date drew near.

My husband, myself and the graduands, decided we’d like to stay the night in Canterbury after the ceremony. It would be January so weather conditions could be bad and we thought it prudent to book rooms. Also, then we could enjoy a meal with my son's girlfriend's parents and my husband could enjoy a glass of champagne to toast the graduates. But we didn't know until near to the time that there’d be so many students and their families filling up Canterbury. Finding somewhere to stay on the Friday night wasn't easy.

I have difficulty walking far and so accommodation close to the cathedral was necessary. We must have looked on-line at every hotel and B&B within a 15 minute walk from the cathedral. Very few had availability.

~~BOOKING~~

We had a limited list of hotels, pubs/inns to phone and double check for vacancies but there didn’t seem to be room at any of the inns.

But we found one possibility:-The Millers Arms. There were a few rooms left.

I could have booked online but as wasn't sure about parking so preferred to telephone and ask for more information. I was told two double rooms were available.

The rooms cost £75 each, including full English breakfasts. Two of us don't eat meat but a vegetarian breakfast was available. The booking process was quick.

~~ANY MORE ROOMS?~~

When full details of the ceremony arrived we found the graduands had to be at their former university to obtain hired gowns and have professional photos taken. We all thought it a good idea to also spend the night prior to the ceremony in Canterbury. But it seemed many others had the same idea and planned to spend two nights in Canterbury. I rang the Miller's Arms asking for rooms for the night before the graduation but was told they only had one room; the more expensive four poster room. I only wanted a bed for the night; nothing fancy. We continued trying to find somewhere else but without success.

Eventually we decided that the younger couple should stay at another hotel (further away) for the first night and I’d see if the four poster room was still available for myself and husband. Fortunately, it was. The price for this room was £98 with breakfast. I asked for a discount and was given a small one. I was told although we’d have to change rooms on Friday morning we could leave luggage securely, if our new room wasn't ready when we had to leave for the ceremony.

~~THE INN ON THE MILL~~

The Millers Arms was built in 1826 for local mill workers.
The inn is old and historical and as the rooms are named from Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales' I feel the effect is even older. But then, Canterbury itself is full of history and for those receptive the past is evident in many a nook and cranny.

~~LOCATION OF THE INN~~

A great location within easy walking distance of university, cathedral, shops, pubs and restaurants.

~~RECEPTION~~

£5 was paid for a car park pass. We signed a registration form and explained that our son and his fiancée would need to leave their luggage in this hotel early the next morning as they would by then be checked out of the other hotel. We were assured that staff would try to get a room ready early; if one wasn't ready then luggage would be kept securely. The receptionist wrote a note requesting that our room for the following day also be prepared early.

We were shown to our room which was up a small flight of stairs, along a narrow corridor. The room looked lovely.

~~ROOMS~~

The Millers Arms has eleven en-suite rooms.

~THE MILLER'S TALE~

I was surprised by the size of the four poster bed-it must have been super king size.

Our room was a large corner room with two windows showing different aspects-one of the road and car park opposite (nicer than it sounds) and one of the weir opposite. It was fairly busy outside with people going about their business but was interesting and charming.

Bedside tables had reading lamps.
The room was furnished with leather sofa, table, chest of drawers/table, dressing table and wardrobe (with further drawer space) which held extra bed covers.

The bed had a mattress topper on, pillows and cushions. The natural fibre duvet felt luxurious but on account of it not being synthetic may not appeal to everyone. It was a little noisy in the early hours of the morning, I think perhaps due to staff arriving and things being moved around.

The room contained a flat screen television and telephone.

The dressing table housed hairdryer, lamp, spotlight lamp and box of tissues.

The hospitality tray offered tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar, milk, biscuits.

To move quietly in the room was impossible; the floorboards creaked. I loved this as it reminded me of the inn’s history and character.

Sash windows were single glazed and could be opened.

The floor was carpeted.

~BATHROOM~

the bathroom was large containing toilet, basin, radiator, heated towel rail, corner Jacuzzi bath with shower above.

A good supply of toiletries included small bottles of shampoo/conditioner, shower/bath gel, shower caps and small soap tablets.

The windowless bathroom had an automatic extractor fan. Next morning the walls and floor were wet with condensation-a drawback of a building as old as this I think.

~THE SQUIRE'S TALE~

The room we moved into next day was The Squire's Tale. We were given a choice between this and The Pardoner but the Pardoner’s was up a further (short) flight of stairs and it was easier to simply walk a few steps with our luggage.

This room was a standard double, markedly smaller than the four poster one but adequate. The view wasn't as nice, showing rooftops, but was as expected.

The bed was comfortable. The room was clean.

The bathroom had a bath with shower over.

Both rooms had a good supply of towels.

~~BREAK YOUR FAST~~

When researching this hotel I was impressed with the vegetarian choice of food on its menu and saw a vegetarian breakfast was supplied. However, when we stayed vegetarian sausages weren’t available on either day. Breakfast was very good though.

From the dining room could be seen a pleasant looking outdoor area with seating.

~~DISABLED GUESTS~~

I asked staff if the hotel could cater for physically disabled guests and was informed because the building was so old it was difficult to accommodate guests needing wheelchairs. There are no lifts and all rooms are accessed by some stairs. However, if walking difficulties are moderate then first floor rooms can be reached by ascending a short flight of stairs. Wheelchairs users, I believe, would find this hotel unsuitable.

~~HELPFULNESS OF STAFF~~

We found reception staff knowledgeable and helpful.
Maids preparing rooms were extremely helpful and as they knew we wanted to move our luggage into our new room before we went out they ensured our next room was prepared quickly.
The room was available for our son at 10.30a.m rather than 2.00p.m. (Normal booking in time)

I felt staff showed a willingness to help and believe they showed pride in this hotel. When we were checking out on Saturday morning we weren't rushed at all.

~~CAR PARKING~~

The Inn doesn't have its own car park but for £5.00 a 24 hour pass is given for the car park opposite. This doesn't guarantee parking if spaces aren't available but does ensure parking is a reasonable option regarding cost.

~~PILGRIMAGE TO CANTERBURY~~

(How to get there)

Canterbury is in the county of Kent

By Car:

Canterbury is on junction 7 of the M2 motorway.

By Rail:

Canterbury is served by two rail stations, Canterbury East and Canterbury West. The Miller's Arms is nearest to Canterbury West.

~~TO END MY TALE~~

I thoroughly enjoyed staying here. I found the food good and rooms comfortable. I was a little worried about staying here when reading a few unfavourable reviews, but know that people look for different things in accommodation. Of course we didn't have much choice in where we stayed as the city was full, but I would stay here again.
I cannot understand how anyone could find it dirty.

It was worth paying the extra for the four poster room yet I felt the Squire's was comfortable and perfectly adequate for a short stay.

This inn is not best suited for those wanting ultra-modern accommodation that perhaps lacks character. Yes, the floors did creak but this is a very old building. For me, well, I prefer to stay in inns and hotels that have something more than sterile rooms on offer. Give me the history anytime.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank anne1105_11
manchester
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed at the Milllers Arms for a night, while visiting the city on a Business trip. My experience was overall very positive. I stayed a the Cooks Room (single), which was fairly spacious for a single, had ensuite shower, tea tray/ hairdryer and TV and enjoyed a nice view over the cathedral (however, the room is situated right above the pub's patio which means that if busy it could become a bit noisy before 11 or so). Decor is a bit dated but it's more charming than anything and the room was fairly clean, although I am sure could do better. Breakfast was lovely and the pub area very nicely put together. Service was excellent! Overall, a very positive experience, albeit a bit overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I highly recommend this lovely B&B/pub to anyone looking to stay in Canterbury.It is centrally located and is a few minutes stroll to the high street. The staff were extremely friendly and very accommodating. They would go out of their way to ensure you were comfortable. The breakfast is included in the room rate and is delicious! Would suggest trying the English breakfast or for something lighter, try the porridge with honey. The rooms are warm, comfortable and clean and include a lovely bathroom with toiletries. There is a wardrobe to hang your clothes and a desk with a large mirror and hairdryer. Tea and coffee making facilities are also included in the room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Michelle S
kent
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Six of us went to canterbury for girls weekend.We stayed at the millers arms.Our room was extreemly clean warm and comfortable.We went to a show and finished the evening of in the bar of the millers.The staff were friendly and helpful.Breakfast was good.The position is great to see the city really central ideal for visit to the Marlowe.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Location was amazing and the breakfast was delicious- I highly recommend this quaint hotel. We stayed here the last week in November and really enjoyed it. The floors were pretty squeaky, but everything was nice and tidy. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011