“Fine place to stay (and eat!) in Canterbury”
Review of The Millers Arms

The Millers Arms
Ranked #4 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This is a lively local eatery as well as hotel. The food is excellent! We ate supper here as well as the delicious included breakfast. Staff were extremely helpful with map and directions as well as luggage. Location is great with an easy walk to the Cathedral.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Millers Arms

Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Well, having stayed in Canterbury some four times now, I found this little gem and am I glad I did. Probably the nicest staff I have come across in many a while.

It's an Inn, not a full blown hotel so don't expect a 5 star hotel. What you get is well worth the money. You walk into a proper pub to be greeted by smiley helpful people who cannot do too much to make your stay an enjoyable experience.

Our room was way above our expectations, everything neat, clean and we'll appointed.

We enjoyed the late afternoon sunshine with an excellent beer and a Chardonnay for herself. OK, Here's the downside - the menu is a bit limited but everything we ordered was very well cooked. The breakfast was as good, no, much better than I have had in any hotel anywhere; so thanks to the chef (s) for your efforts. In fact thanks to all the staff for a great experience. We will be back. Alan Sanders.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 2 September 2014

A quick overnight stay before heading off to Europe this place did just the trick. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was perfectly functional and clean. I had lived in Canterbury previously for 9 years and thought I might be difficult to please but the Millers did not disappoint.
Eating in the restaurant was pleasant enough everyone enjoyed their and if I had to be picky the mash was a little lumpy and had perhaps been microwaved, the sausages however were tasty and the others were very pleased with their steaks.
A liitle note if you're tall turn on the bedroom light if going to the loo in the night as the door to the bathroom [Clerk's Room] is slanted and quite low. Another thing to consider is the fact that the pub/hotel sits by a lock in the river (it is the Miller's Arms afterall!) and if you'e a light sleeper the noise of the water might be something to consider. I hasten to add these are not critiscisms IN ANY WAY, purely observations of the some of the idiosyncracies of this lovely old building.
I would happily stay there again and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: As per my review.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel close to the centre of Canterbury. I chose a double room as it was the same price as a single, it would have been a bit small for 2 for more than a couple of nights. It was clean and nicely decorated. The shower lacked much water pressure. Breakfast was lovely with good choice and quality. It's a shame the 24 hour reduced price parking is not mentioned in the hotel details, I'd already paid in the car park opposite before I checked in and found out about it. It would have saved me money and I'd have had a more leisurely morning too. I'll definitely go back if I need to stay in Canterbury again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dolly321
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a one night getaway on a Monday to see Canterbury and the cathedral. This turned out to be a great choice. We found in via various on-line searches and it did not disappoint. On the map it looked like it was a bit out of town, and it was away from a lot of the tourist traffic. Still, Canterbury is not that large and it was less than a 5 minute walk to the cathedral, either through lovely side streets or along the river. We stayed in the "Millers Tale" room - all names are themed around Chaucer. The room was very comfortable and quiet. We went out elsewhere for dinner, but had a nice quiet drink in the pub before going to bed for the night. The selection for breakfast is pretty good although we both opted for the full English breakfast - not very creative, but we do like a big breakfast when we are away from home. The full English was fine - not special, we don't think the Fry Up Inspector (look him up!) would give it a 10, but it was a solid 7. Overall, a great choice for a short stay: the staff were all friendly and helpful and the place itself was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmasb
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I walked into Millers Arms after another hotel lost my reservation, and wow, what a happy turn of circumstance! Paul and his wife were so very accommodating, roundly meeting my expectations and more. The room I was given turned out to have a plumbing problem but no worries––I was given the big, beautiful suite at the end of the hall as recompense (and truly, it was lovely). I loved my time down at the bar, sipping brews, chatting with the warm, genial staff, eating what turned out to be one of the best veggie burgers of my life, and when I went upstairs I slept like a baby. Breakfast was amazing, the location perfect, everything just completely awesome.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Ideal place for a visit to Canterbury accommodation though a little small was very clean the Breakfast was of excellent quality. Car parking nearby for a small charge.Very friendly staff what more can you ask?

Room Tip: Back rooms overlook Cathedral but also rear pub garden might be noisy before 11 pm It was for us bu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple