The Millers Arms
  • Bar/Lounge
Castle House Hotel(Canterbury)
The Victoria Hotel(Canterbury)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubshepherd neamecar parkfull englishcity centre and cathedralbreakfast was excellentexcellent locationfew minutes walkdefinitely stay here againrooms are smalllovely roomeggs benedicta great place to stayconvenient locationper dayshort strollmarlowe theatre
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I took my girlfriend here for our anniversary. I wanted to see Canterbury but wanted to make the accomodation quite a big feature of the weekend as well.

As it was a romantic weekend, I rang the hotel in advance and they arranged flowers and a bottle of wine in the room for when we arrived - I was grateful as the girlfriend was very impressed!

Easy enough to find using a SatNav - you kind of stumble upon the place! Parking simple across the road (tickets bought for £5 a day at the hotel cover you - good value and you can almost see your car from the hotel).

We stayed in the Miller's Tale Room, which is the one with the four-poster bed and jacuzzi bath. The room was, on the whole, very good - it was spacious, the bed was big but cosy, the shower had incredibly powerful water (TIP: keep the curtain inside the tub!). There was a bit of grot around the old windows, and the furnishings weren't what you could call modern, but this added to the charm.

Incidentally, the jacuzzi element of the bathtub is as scary as the power shower. My girlfriend tried to use it and the water went everywhere so it wasn't touched again. I'd suggest care when approaching!

The sofa was cosy as well, and it was great to be able to park in the big old sofa and watch the world outside go by while waiting for the lady to get dressed.

Two minor issues to watch out for: One, the corridor to the rooms is very narrow - my bags were bashing both walls as we trotted up and back, and Two, the floor is incredibly creaky! If you feel self-conscious about creaks on the floor, be prepared for a large dose of it! We didn't really mind it too much to be honest - it's kind of funny really!

The view out of the room was lovely. There is the river and a small lock, you can hear the running water all day but it's not distracting in the least. The pub / hotel appears to also be in the prime spot for sun worshippers as we were lucky enough to have the sun beating on down through the windows all weekend!

The pub is quite small and charming. The manager Declan is very chatty and kind, he is only too willing to help out and we were made to feel very welcome. I was able to chat with Declan and the bar staff at the end of the night, which was a little unusual but a nice surprise for me (how often can you stand and chat with the bar staff at midnight on a Friday night?). The bonus of course is that I was also able to take my drink up to my room - a treat not to be sniffed at!

Food in the pub was delicious. The restaurant area is around the side and the menu a mixture of pub grub and modern dishes. Service was a little slow on the Saturday night, but it was quite busy (advise to book!). As the food was really great, I have no complaints at all!

Declan was able to suggest a local restaurant for me before we arrived, and he was only too interested to hear how the restaurant was when we got back. I guess the comment I want to make here is that although he runs his own restaurant / pub, it was heartening to see that he was only too happy to suggest others! Word of mouth appears to be the rule in Kent! The restaurant I went to is called Deesons - it's a short walk from the Millers and really very nice, as well as reasonably priced. Check out the website if you are heading to Canterbury!

Anyway, we really enjoyed our stay in The Millers Arms. The staff, as were all the people we met in the town, were incredibly pleasant and polite, the accomodation was very good (if a teeny bit overpriced), and the whole experience really satisfying. I would certainly recommend the hotel to other couples looking for a getaway weekend. Canterbury itself won't keep you busy for very long, so it's definitely the right place to relax.

2  Thank RobKedge
Reviewed 23 April 2009

The hotel is located very near to station with a very good scenic beauty around. The hotel rooms are clean and the staff very friendly. I would recommed this hotel if you are not planning to spend more or have a plan to stay in 5 star. The rooms are not too big but clean and from some roons you can have a view of the Canterbury Cathedral.
Breakfast was 1st class too. The city center is near to the hotel and is about a 10 mins walk.

1  Thank Ranadeep
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Staying at the Millers Arms you get a real taste of Canterbury - all the rooms are named after the famous Canterbury Tales and are beautifully presented. The staff were very friendly and helpful, while the food was excellent and great value for the quality. Town is barely 5 minutes away, making the hotel in the perfect situation for everyone either on business or just wanting to explore Canterbury.

Will definitely be using this place again! 10/10

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank charlie2112
Reviewed 23 April 2009

The Millers Arms is the picture perfect English hotel, beautiful location set by the River, overlooking a lovely garden. Nothing was too much trouble for the manager and his staff. The room was a good size with plenty of cupboard and drawer space. Bathroom was beautifully decorated and the shower was fantastic! Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. Had dinner in the restaurant which was also really lovely. The hotels location is good, close to the west station and very walkable to town centre. Would certainly go there again.

1  Thank GourmetTravellers
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Spent a night at the Millers Arms, arriving Saturday and leaving on Sunday. Received a very warm welcome from Declan who had only been there for a few weeks. Booked into the Millers Tale which has a four poster and has a lovely aspect over the river. Although you can hear the rushing water we found it an ideal place to stay. It is only a few minutes walk from the town centre and was great for our first visit to Canterbury. Parking is £5 for 24 hours in the public car park less than a 100 yards away. Breakfast including full English if required was included in the price. We will return for sure.

1  Thank CaroleS