“VERY GOOD RELATIOHSHIP PRICE QUALITY-PRICE” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Falstaff in Canterbury

The Falstaff in Canterbury
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
Madrid, Spain
“VERY GOOD RELATIOHSHIP PRICE QUALITY-PRICE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

A Charming hotel. Very well located, very clean, with interesting historical references. The rooms have different layouts and very interesting. Litle details could be improved: the asistance to the traveller (I like to be accompanied to the room, and nigth doors), and maybe the quality of single beds (my son's was not very good).
I highly recommend this hotel

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I choose this hotel as the one I regularly stay in was running full and this one had a last minute cancellation. The hotel is very centrally located along the main street near the west gate just 2mts from the canterbury west station and 5 mts walking to the tourist attractions including the Canterbury cathedral.
The room was very comfortable and had everything my usual hotel gave me and it was 70 pounds cheaper per night(including full English breakfast) which meant more shopping :-)))
I was in room 31 which over looks the street and you could hear the occasional conversations of people passing by. If you want a quieter room you might want to mention that at the time of booking. The rooms are in small cottages behind the main building.
Although the hotel doesnt serve lunch and dinner there are lots restaurant places to eat around. It worked out really well for me and I would look at this hotel again when I'm back in canterbury next .

• Stayed March 2012
Harshaw, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

A beautiful facility with modern conveniences tucked in to an timbered building which has been an Inn since Chaucer's days. A great location - easy walking from Canterbury West train station and from the Cathedral. The full British Breakfast (included in room rate) was amazing and served in a beautiful dining room. The inn's bar area is inviting and accomadating and serves a light meal selection until 11:00 pm.

Room Tip: Consturction is happening on the Hight Street in front of the Inn beginning now (March 2012 and exte...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Falstaff for 3 nights in Feb 2012, during the coldest week of the year. We had a room on the ground floor of the annexe, in the interior courtyard of the hotel. It is not the old part of the hotel but is quiet, being sheltered from the road. The room was clean, comfortable and warm, with adequate space. Lights were a bit on the dim side. On another occasion, we may try a room the old part of the hotel, but for us, this is not a main attraction. The value for money of the hotel is! Freshly cooked English breakfast was excellent, and the cold breakfast was more than adequate. Both were included in the room rate. Free wi-fi was available everywhere in the hotel.

The big advantage of the hotel is its location, at 30 yards from the entry into the city through the Westgate, and the free private parking. We left the car there all day when we strolled into the city. We ate in many restaurants in the city but Chapmans fish restaurant across the road was the best.

Room Tip: There is nothing wrong with the annexe!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
hartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is a wonderful choice for travelers who want a charming hotel located within walking distance of the cathedral and downtown attractions. The rates are excellent, especially if one is able to take advantage of internet special offers. I paid 59 pounds for a single room that included a full English breakfast. On each of the three days of my stay I was able to choose from a menu that featured eggs cooked to order, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage, and ham. In addition, there was a buffet that included yogurt, cereal, toasts, croissants, pastries, juice, and fruit.

I loved my single room in the turret of this 15th century building. The space was cozy and intimate, and just the right size for someone who doesn't need a lot of space. My daughter referred to the room as the "hobbit room" because neither the bedroom nor bathroom door seemed to be much higher than 66 inches. That worked out just fine for me, but a traveler taller than 5'7" might leave with knots on the forehead. Another caveat: if you are a light sleeper, request a room that does not look out on the busy street. I was awakened several times well before 6:00 a.m. by the noise of trucks and construction. In addition, there is a very popular bus stop directly across from the hotel.

The staff at the front desk and in the breakfast room were welcoming and gracious throughout my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the street are very noisy.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My daughter, and I chose to stay at the Falstaff Hotel for various reasons. We wanted a motel that was convenient to the downtown so when my two year old granddaughter got tired we could easily let her nap. We did not want to have to deal with public transportation or parking. The full breakfast sounded very good to us.
When we arrived we found our spacious room was situated on the third floor and included a pac n play sleeping area for the baby. I had not requested a lower floor and was willing to accept it if need be but since I am in my sixties and my daughter had a baby to carry upstairs we requested to be moved if possible. Within five minutes we were given the option of moving to the ground floor (#47 handicapped accessible) and someone came and assisted us with the move. Anytime we had a need they responded immediately.
The room was very clean, the breakfast was excellent, there was on-site parking for most vehicles and nearby parking if they did not have space. We appreciated the wi-fi and yes, our towels were simply hung up to dry. That is the first time I have seen that done but perhaps they just need to inform you of that practice to save on laundry/environment. That way you can be sure you are getting your own towel by placing it on the bar yourself. I know they were ours because I marked them.
We had a delicious dinner at the Champion Restaurant directly across the street. Our room was in the back portion of the motel and was very quiet.
There were few cons for us. I think I would be leary in the summertime because it is not air conditioned. That is the price you pay for the opportunity to stay in a 600 year old motel that is full of history. Also, they had regular tvs and just a few channels
but I did not come to watch tv so that did not matter to me.
Finding the parking area was a bit tricky. I believe you pass the Falstaff, turn left, go to first red light and turn left at the parking arm that will automatically open. Do not go into the far back area if you have a larger car because it is very tight. My daughter did that and we had a tough time getting the car out. The first parking lots you come to are OK for larger cars, use the back only if you have a smaller car.
Canterbury was a great place to vacation-it quickly became one of our favorites! I would
definitely return to the Falstaff and Canterbury. There is much to do and we were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Be specific about your wants and needs. Such as, "I need a room that is on the bottom floor, I...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed for two nights with my elderly, disabled and confused parents for a family event. The staff could not have been more helpful or patient. Their double room was on the ground floor, with only two steps involved. (I'm not sure if there are any wheelchair accessible rooms.) My single (no. 11) was spacious and extremely comfortable.
Yes, the Flastaff is a little worn in places, but that is its charm. We payed less than the published price and it was great value - particularly for the double.
The location is perfect and the breakfasts wonderful - everything from the full English though something on toast to a continental, with loads of fruit and juices.
I'd also highly recommend the local fish and chip shop (Marinos) just up the road. The hotel was happy to let us eat ours in our rooms.
The Falstaff also has free wifi access, although that doesn't appear anywhere on their website. There is only analogue TV at present, but I guess you don't go to Canterbury to watch TV.