“Nice old school hotel”

The Falstaff in Canterbury
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This was the first of four hotels during this years trip to the UK, touring by car with our 11 year old daughter with us. The short trip to Canterbury from Dover, got us to the easy to find Hotel which is on a pretty busy road. It is best to park shortly in the public carpark opposite the hotel first and then check in. We arrived early as favourable wind had found us getting re-booked on the earlier sailing of the brand new Sprit of France. She made the trip in brilliant sunlit seas in good time, so consequently we arrived well prior to the 3 o' clock book-in deadline. The very friendly young lady in reception fully understood and ave us an entry code for the excellent hotel parking. I collected the car from accross the road and left it in the parking.
After a pleasant lunch and a first impression walk in town - the hotel is right on the edge of the city center, very convenient- the friendly lady in reception checked us in in no time and we were allocated to a good size double bed room on the ground floor right opposite the bar entrance and th open space used as a smoking area. That sounds worse than it actually is.
The room was very cosy and of a good size; specially in the bathroom some fittings are rather tired. However: everyting works fine and we did not expect the latest interiour suite anyway, All is well cleaned and very useable which is the ain thing.
The staff are very friendly and all give the impression they actually enjoy their job, it creates the right atmosphere. The do not do meals except for morning breakfast which is a well stocked buffet affair. The staff here are efficient and friendly, the breakfast room is rather crowded and though nice enough here and there a bit worn. There is a hotel bar if you would care for a quick drink before retiring to your room and well stocked it is however if you fancy a nice pint: best shop along the street as there are several nice pubs.
I understand the hotel recently changed hands and the new owners are in the process of setting up plans for a major rethink. It may ewll result in the re-opening of the restaurant which would be good for those who would like to dine at their hotel rather than shop around i the city. The uilding is old but certainly not tired, it has a certain charm, do not expect tremendous luxury. Th estaff make up for a lot and perhaps I can illustrate this best with a small example: one morning I was checking my e-mail on my laptop - there is excellent free Wifi available- in the smoking area catching the morning sun whilst my wife and daughter remained in the room. I had barely set up my laptop when a very nice gent asked me if he could get me some tea or coffee. I thought this was rather excellent and sums up this friendly place well: will definately use this hotel again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room in either the annexe or the rear of the building; rooms on the street side are...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed 11 September 2012

My husband and I stayed for four nights/ five days, each member of staff were very pleasant and efficient. The room was spotless(if a little warm), the breakfasts were so good, we wished the restaurant had been open for evening meals. The hotel is situated in an excellent position to get to the city centre or bus station. We would certainly recommend to any friends or family and come again ourselves if we are in that part of the country.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I stayed in September 2011 with my son when visiting Canterbury for a couple of days. We had experience an early problem with "double-booking" of the room which was sorted out quickly and professionally by hotel management after reporting it - in fact mng't showed much more effective dispute resolution than the average large chain!

Consequently we were pleasantly surprised on arrival by a bottle of red wine and chocolate bar inscribed "sorry" awaiting us in our room and I am sorry myself that I did not submit my positive review earlier!

Location is excellent, the hotel itself has wonderful character - authentic creaky stairs and low ceilings for those of you that enjoy these aspects (we do after the repetition of the usual big chains). We checked in late and reception were friendly and efficient and the room clean and comfortable. I would only suggest for a quieter night's sleep asking for a room not overlooking the main road outside.

Breakfast was very good and the atmosphere throughout the hotel warm and friendly.

For a small local hotel it exceeded expectations and we will be staying again in the future and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Have been visiting Canterbury for many years now, and found this place by far and away the best Canterbury has to offer!. clean rooms, friendly staff, great location (Near the city centre) and many local attractions too.

Can't wait for my next visit ...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My partner booked a surprise weekend away away for us in Canterbury last year. Our hotel to stay in was 'The Falstaff', a 4 poster bed in a lovely warm room facing on to the quiet carpark at the back of the hotel. I have never been to Canterbury and l it was a very dear surprise. A table for supper on one evening had been booked at the gorgeous restaurant opposite The Falstaff - Chapmans (that l cannot recommend highly enough!) The room was in the hotel was divine, the bed sumptuous and crispy clean white linen.
The bathroom could of be a little more updated but hey! The real touching thing was the loo roll being folded to a point on the holder! Lovely. It was clean and free of cobwebs and dust. Tea, coffee etc .. provided and TV. Great place - Thumping good breakfasts in a clean happy dining room. Wonderful stay would dearly go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the kinds of rooms - They vary in size - bed difference, ie four post to ordinary double bed...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had been on a short break holiday down to Dorset, so we had decided to break before getting the 12:00hrs ferry to Dunkirk. As it was my partners Birthday and she had never been to Canterbury. As I had stayed here in January, I suggested the Falstaff as an ideal place to visit the Cathedral and shops. The reception staff are very pleasant, helpful and friendly, we got given a room that is up a winding staircases, this would have been difficult for anyone with a disability, old or infirm, especially as there is no porter visable and no offer of help with the cases. That being said I realise that this is an very old coaching house and that this is part of its charm. We had room No4 and for a short stay was perfect. A television, a reasonable sized bathroom, neat clean and tidy. It even had a trowser press.
The breakfast was not the usual a la cart service but a buffet type, reason was that the hotel was full and so that there was no delays the buffet had been put on, but eggs of choice could be ordered. There was abundant cereals, fresh fruit, juices, milk, and prunes etc. I had ordered 2 poached eggs, they came and were perfect, I had mushrooms, beans, bacon, hash brownies and sausage to go along with them.
I was again satisfied with the hotel in General a few small niggles and a largish one.

small; no porter service offered, the advertised wifi reception in the room was non-existant.
Major niggle: no hot water on Sunday morning, it really shouldn't take 3 hours to get it fixed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smithr668
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and were placed in the Wood mill annex. We enjoyed a lovely clean room with tasteful furnishings, the shower and tiling were slightly in need of modernising but everything functioned perfectly. The historic building had such charming character, and its close proximity to everything we needed or wanted to do and see was a real bonus. Having free car parking enabled us to enjoy a car free holiday for 3 days. Breakfast was buffet style while we were staying because the hotel was full but the standard of food was very high and the staff very efficient and helpful. Outside noise from some revellers disturbed our sleep on one night, but that would not put us off staying again, in fact if visiting Canterbury again I wouldn't even bother researching alternatives I'd just book The Falstaff .

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple