“Needs a makeover”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
UK
“Needs a makeover”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Great location and free parking. Room in the woodmill was quiet apart from creaky floorboards upstairs. Went for a drink in the bar and the settee was so worn out and dirty we didnt want to sit on it. Please buy a new one. The breakfast was the worst I've ever had. Tinned fruit for a start! I ordered just a fried egg, bacon and sausage instead of the full English. I got a poached egg, one very small rasher of bacon and a grey sausage. I wish I'd taken a photo it looked so unappetising and pathetic.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank loversofgrandturk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Tasmania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

5 minutes walk from the station,(West), and I found the reception very easy and helpful. Kristina (?) wasvery helpful with any information that I asked for. My room was on a main road so there was plenty of traffic, and also a lot of young people going home after a night out, but the bed was great and comfortable, also a double. The room was a good size room also, with a very spacious bathroom as well. The shower was also nice and hot. Did not have breeakfast but opted for room service on one evening and I had no problems with the pizza that I ordered.
My luggage was held for me on the morning of my departure and I witnessed very good banter with other guests who were either checking in or out. Would recommend it as it is very central to a lot of things in Canterbury.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
St Albans, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

I've stayed at the Falstaff once before and not had any problems, even had a lovely four poster room over looking the main street. However, this time around we weren't so lucky, I was severely disappointed and sadly I won't be going back.

It started off badly when I realised we had the rooms on the ground floor that look right out onto the car park. (I was room 21). I felt like we'd been given the leftovers. People arriving and walking through to reception could stare straight into our room. Obviously I closed the blinds, which meant that we had no natural light in our room at all.

The room was outdated and the bathroom dingy and a bit dirty. The bed was also uncomfortable.

Breakfast was a disaster. The hotel was almost fully booked so they had to run a buffet breakfast. There were only two members of staff on duty, rushing around a very packed dining room. I went up to get a full english. There were no sausages or bacon, so I waited. The sausages and bacon finally came out, but then there was no eggs or beans and so on...

The worst bit was by far the shower. My mum's shower wasn't functional at all as there was a split in the pipe. The pipe was replaced after we complained but the shower still didn't have enough water pressure for her to wash her hair properly. We were considering a wedding in Canterbury, and recommending guests stay here but you just wouldn't be able to get ready in one of the rooms.

Also - after I finally managed to wash my hair, I had to dry it. Check out the photos for a hair dryer from the 50s - I had to go out to dinner with WET hair!

If you're looking for accommodation around this price, or a little cheaper check out the Clare Ellen Guest house - a friendly family run B&B where we've stayed several times. It's a short walk from the top of the high street. Otherwise, if you're happy to pay a little more it's definitely worth the extra pounds to stay at the Abode.

I've also uploaded a few pictures.

Room Tip: Don't go for rooms 21 or 23
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank J0C1985
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is a lovely hotel, full of history and character. It was clean, we'll located and a really interesting place to stay.
Our four poster room was absolutely fantastic, roomy and well equipped.
Breakfast was excellent with a huge choice of cereal, fruit, breads and full English.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
The hotel is perfectly located for sightseeing as it is right in front of the historic Westgate Towers.
We really enjoyed our stay thank you

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorthumberlandSimon
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

This is a hotel full of character from the ground floor to the very top. The staff are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area in and around Canterbury. It was an absolute pleasure staying within its walls. The hotel is clean with comfortable beds and lovely breakfasts. The sausages were the best I had tasted! So well done everyone at the Falstaff. The only small downside was the noisy revellers walking past in the early hours of Saturday morning but everything that i have said above outweighs this very small inconvience.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel as less noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

We happened upon the Falstaff and as Australians we were totally blown away that we were staying in a hotel that was 600 years old! It's a 15th century coaching inn ... So yes, the building is chock full of character. Also in a great spot close to West Gate Tower and walking distance to great sights and shopping. We were greeted by friendly desk staff and parking was free which was great. There's also free wifi but it was pretty patchy from our room but worked ok in the lobby and beer garden. My first impression of our room was wow! But on closer inspection, the carpet was worn, dusty and the chair upholstery even had worn holes on the arm rests. No air conditioning but there was a fan which we used as it was quite warm in the room. There's a beautiful old iron window that faced the street, that we had to leave open for some fresh air. The street noise wasn't too bad though. The bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was smallish and it took a while to work out the shower, I thought the hot water wasn't working. What it turned out to be was the hot water was marked cold and vise versa. Could be quite dangerous as the hot water was pretty hot! Later in the afternoon, my husband tried to buy a drink in the bar downstairs but no one was tending the bar so he didn't buy anything. There are a few good restaurants close by. For the price, it was a good hotel choice for its character, location and free parking. But the decor needs some desperate refurbishing!!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

My Husband & I have just spent 1 night in this gorgeous hotel for my 40th birthday and we would highly recommend it!!
It's so full of character, it's just adorable!! The building is very old so there are creaky floorboards but this just adds to the whole experience!!
The location is perfect and in walking distance to everything with plenty of on site parking which we were allowed to use in the morning, although we couldn't check in till 3pm!!
The staff are great and very helpful, advising and even booking a restaurant for us!!
Also breakfast was buffet style, hot & cold and we couldn't fault it!!
We will without doubt be staying here again!!

• Stayed October 2012