“good location”

The Falstaff in Canterbury
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 14 August 2013

room was right on the street ground floor very very hot and stuffy, no windows could be opened ,lots of ducted tape holding the carpets together,left my name in dust on the bedside table.Had no breakfast as we left early to go to a wedding,but staff would not let me take a cup off the pre set table so had a paper cup of coffee,dont know what the breakfast was like !!!!

Room Tip: pick another hotel
2  Thank evvy l
John A, Manager at The Falstaff in Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear evvy I,

Thank you for staying with us and appreciating our great location. I am sorry however that the team were not able to meet your expectations with the options that were on offer to you for an earlier breakfast. We do always try our best to meet all guest requirements and are disappointed you felt let down.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here a couple of times now. The rooms are very old but unique. Kind of quirky with with dark wood panelling. Room for my latest visit was smaller than before and although I appreciate the windows are very old the double glazing needs some maintenance. The previous room I had was great. Big 4 poster bed, spacious area and a separate bathroom up some steps.
Breakfast has been very good both times. Service also has been very good. This time a guy called Gavin stood out as providing great service. I will definitely book this hotel again next time I'm staying in Canterbury.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank garyward1274
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Right in the centre of things you can walk just about anywhere. Rooms fairly small and dusty. Would have liked to have sat on the terrace and had a drink, but apart from Guiness they only had German lagers. Staff very friendly and breakfast good.

1  Thank keithmallen
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Whats Good First:
1/The Location is good.Right in the Centre of Canterbury.
Two Minutes walk from everything.
2/On entering I received Friendly service at the Reception.
3/ During my stay I found my two different rooms to be fairly quiet.
4/The Breakfast was ok although fairly average coffee is that is important to you.

Then the not so good.
1/The Rooms Decor that I was in were very simple and getting tired.
2/Bathroom clean but very poor water stream from the shower.

Then the Worst part.
Having spent two nights at the Hotel,I booked another night online in the afternoon.
I received confirmation of my booking but:
On arrival back to the Hotel at midnight,I was told there was no room for me after all.

So the reception contacted another hotel some distance away who said they had a room.
Having disappointed me with the mistake that their system had made with my booking they sent me off at 12.45 with a google map to the Hotel.

I would have thought that someone at the reception may have dropped me off in a car seeing as I had already stayed with them for two nights and they had made this mistake but no.

The map they gave me was Wrong and led me down a road with No Hotel.
Why the people at the Reception did not check the address correctly ,I do not know especially considering what time of night it was.

Anyway I finally found the hotel to be told no they didnt have a room but had a Sister Hotel with a room and they gave me a key to let my self in,although this place was another ten minutes away and very overpriced for what it was which was a tiny room at the top of a building with no reception.
Falstaff I am Not Impressed !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PaulWimbledon

Dear PaulWimbledon,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that the staff were friendly, the location great and that you found the breakfast to be fine and the rooms quiet. We will look into the issue with the shower as a number of rooms have been fitted with a water pump and the remaining ones have not been a problem in the past so we will investigate this.
Do please feel free to call me directly anytime to discuss the issue with your online booking for the extra third night as this seems very odd and I would be happy to talk to you about it.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were unfortunate in that we stayed for two nights when the weather was very hot. The hotel has no air conditioning (apparently due to it being a listed building) . This meant that the windows had to be open in our room. We had the 'superior' four poster bedroom. The mattress was uncomfortable and you could feel the coil springs. When the windows were open they allowed noise and even worse cigarette smoke to come into the room from the courtyard immediately below. The second night there was a wedding party. We were kept up until late due to talking in the courtyard. We were woken (even though we had ear plugs) at 1 am by loud drunken guests, talking to the receptionist, and again at 3 am. Another guest was woken at 5 am by the same ignorant dunks. When I complained in the morning the reception made no comment. The staff and food in the restaurant were very good at breakfast time, but the restaurant was subjected to annoying rock music. The décor in many corridors was tired and the carpets often repaired with duct tape. However, but for the noise and cigarette smoke I would have given the place a good rating.

2  Thank Peter C
John A, Manager at The Falstaff in Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Peter C,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other guests. We always have a manager on duty and they do their best to resolve any issues or problems at the time to the best of their ability. I do understand however that being woken up is certainly not appreciated by anyone when it is un-necessary and not an easy issue to fix.

We will of course look at all the issues you have raised and see what further improvements can be made and are grateful for your comments. Without which it is harder to know if we are addressing the right areas.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 5 August 2013

A very charming and quirky hotel with lots of character. Staff are welcoming, polite and very helpful. Our room was warm and comfortable with a well equipped bathroom, including bath and shower. The breakfast buffet offered lots of choice for both continental and full English breakfasts - the sausages were particularly excellent!
The hotel, which offers very secure parking, is very well situated well within easy walking distance of main tourist destinations including the cathedral and Canterbury Tales. There are a wide variety of restaurants catering to all tastes close by and a lovely shopping centre with an old fashioned sweetshop.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gill28860
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I won a competition on Facebook to stay here. I feel so lucky as it was one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. The staff were super friendly and really helpful. Check in was not meant to be until 3, however we arrived at 12 and our room was ready so we were able to book i straight away. Our room was lovely. My son had a double bed and so did we. There was plenty of room for the travel cot that they supplied. The room was clean and had everything we needed. The hotel is in an ideal location. You literally cross over the road and you are in the heart of Canterbury. I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family