“my stay at this great hotel”

The Falstaff in Canterbury
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 29 May 2014

the falstaff is in a very central postion with canterbury west raliway station minutes away and the city centre on your doorstep . helpful , friendly staff make your stay a good one , nice rooms at very good prices and a decent breakfast too .... highly recommended

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank peter b
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

A perfectly acceptable 3* hotel in Canterbury. Good location with parking ( wonderful) and well placed to visit the city. Staff are efficient and friendly. As previous reviews have stated, and I had requested, but did not get unfortunately, ask for a room in 'the back'. My room was street side and I did not sleep well--at all. Once the traffic slows, you then deal with the passing pedestrian traffic as well as groups of 'homeless' who seem to gather outside, especially when raining--non-stop chatting, coughing, 'spitting' etc. A real shame as the room was a good size. I would stay again--but only if away from main road.

Room Tip: NOT near road--ask to stay in back!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently stayed at The Falstaff during a short break in Canterbury. We were welcomed by an efficient, friendly receptionist who promptly checked us in even though we were early. We were allocated a room in the Old Woodmill, a quiet part of the hotel just across the car park. We were able to park our car right outside our room for ease of unloading. The room was clean and very well equipped with tea & coffee making facilities, iron & ironing board, hair dryer, free wifi, toiletries and a huge amount of space. Having a Juliet balcony made it perfect for relaxing in the late afternoon sun. The bar was a great area for a nightcap with the friendly bar staff and the superb breakfast served by professional, efficient staff didn't disappoint! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff of the hotel and we would have no hesitation in recommending a stay here!

Room Tip: Main hotel has more character but Woodmill great for peace and quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The first thing to say about the Falstaff is that while they provide a pretty good buffet breakfast there is no lunch or dinner service - this is made clear before and when you arrive, despite exterior signage that gives the contrary impression. Not sure why (staffing? lack of demand?) but it did at least afford us the opportunity to try two exceptionally good local restaurants, Michael Caines at the Abode Hotel and the Goods Shed.

Our room, located at the front of the hotel, had, shall we say, a charm of its own, with dark wooden panelling on the walls making it feel gloomy even with the lights on, and despite the double-glazing (of sorts) it was susceptible late at night to the noise of drunk people yelling at each other in the street below. Neither of us are prudes in the latter regard but my wife and I found it prevented us from getting to sleep.

Good points include the Falstaff's location at the heart of Canterbury and close to Canterbury West railway station, the friendly and helpful staff. and good on-site parking facilities.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Room: The room was OK. I've seen some of the other hotel rooms and they all have their own charm and carachter. The room I stayed in in "The Tap", however, felt a bit like I was staying in someone else's house (not even a guest house). The bathroom had a very cold feel about it and the shower was terrible - which I reported and was assured would be sorted.

Staff: The staff were very friendly from arrival to departure, though my colleague struggled to communicate well with them throughout the booking. The breakfast staff were nice - though they did not really handle single guests well... I felt a little awkward where they sat me.

Breakfast: Lovely sausages! Very tasty! The whole buffet-style breakfast was very nice and fresh.

I would go back to the Falstaff - the price is good for the central location, the breakfast and service were good. I think I would ask for a different room, however.

Room Tip: Didn't really like'The Tap' rooms, they were converted houses and just lacked the qualit...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stopped off at this hotel on our way north from France as it's only 30 minutes from Dover. The Falstaff is a charming inn with lots of character, I was somewhat concerned after reading the reviews but I shouldn't have been. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the breakfast waiter had no problem when we asked if my wife could use her own gluten free bread. Even offering a new toaster when he enquired if she were a coeliac. Thr room was in the woodmill, it was fine, spacious and clean with slightly dated decor. It did get a little hot but there was a fan, it was also on ground floor next to entrance to the building and the exterior door did bang if allowed to. All in all a pleasant stay with a good selection at breakfast.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

First impressions, before arriving, were mixed - told that the hotel could only provide evening meals if we took a fixed menu option. Instead, we were referred to one of the nearby restaurants which proved to be t=great and once I got used to the idea of popping out to get my diner, i began to like the hotel a little more. Breakfast was just right - the choice was limited compared to some hotels but in fact, there was enough for most tastes and it saved me eve-eating! Again, the bar had a limited range but included something for everyone in our party, so I couldn't r early complain. My only real problem was the fact that my room was at ground floor, facing the road, which meant a stream of people passing the window and a lot of noise form the pub until late at night. I really should have asked to be moved, so have myself to blame in part.

All things considered, I think that once you accept that this is not a hotel trying to be a destination in itself (no pool, no gym, no corona bleu chef) you begin to see that for anyone wanting a use to explore Canterbury and the surrounding area, it really is pretty good and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the Woodmill annexe at the back - avoid the pub noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends