“Speak as you find, we say”
Review of The Dolphin

The Dolphin
Ranked #50 of 382 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Interesting to see the previous couple of reviews. We visited on the 23rd July during a very busy lunch period. We have visited before to drink but never to dine. I'm sure that you will have read the reviews and made your own observations but our comments seem to differ with previous recent posts. We only know the owner by sight and I had never spoken to him nor observed him in action until this visit. From 2pm a private gathering had booked in to drink and eat. Sufficient staff on to deal with everything . Our observation was that the owner stepped in to assist getting the food out quickly and efficiently. He did so politely and with a smile on his face even joking with some of the group. I spoke to him when we went to settle up. He was cheerful, chatty and very pleasant. No sign of rudeness. In fact the personification of the perfect host. Our food, pulled pork ciabata for me and the Salmon and crab fishcakes for Carol were superb, delivered within a very reasonable time frame and with a polite disposition. Drinks were served to perfection (TT Landlord and Pimms). Prices are acceptable due to the quality of food delivered, the garden and service standards. We speak as we find and we will definitely find the Dolphin again.

1  Thank johnandcarol_8

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We took our pre-dinner drinks into the garden which was lovely, but elected to eat indoors as the only available tables were refectory style and so lacked privacy. The staff behind the bar and waiting on were welcoming, friendly and efficient but the menu has slimmed a lot since we last visited (admittedly some time ago) and it lacked anything to make it different to other pub grub. The rib-eye steak was well-cooked and flavoursome but the chicken and cranberry pie (made by an award-winning local producer according to the waitress) was disappointing as the pastry was brittle on top and soggy underneath and at £10:95 was a little over-priced. A reasonable meal out, but nothing to tempt us back in a hurry.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here numerous times and have had several excellent nights here too. Yes, the owner is rude to his staff in front of customers (I don't know why they put up with it to be honest). However, the beer is normally excellent and the food is great - good sizes too.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Went here last night. Very vibrant. Food snd service excellent despite being very busy. Lovely big garden with ample seating. Would recommend. Lauren behind the bar was particularly helpful.

2  Thank Andrewgp1
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I use to love this pub but will never go again as the owner is rude and unfriendly. I ordered my friend a drink and the bar maid told she would bring it out for us as she needed to get more from the cellar. This is my friend's favourite drink yet it didn't taste right. We asked for another one and the owner came out basically told us we were wrong and he was right. He even suggested that we should leave! I guess "the customers always right" doesn't exist in this pub.

3  Thank Abby W