“Awkward......”

Canterbury Ghost Tour
Ranked #6 of 16 Tours in Canterbury
More attraction details
Owner description: A darkly entertaining blend of history, humour and haunting on the streets of Canterbury, suitable for all ages , conducted by your jovial host John Hippisley - Kent's Premier Award Winning Ghost Hunter. Join a tour to discover some chilling tales that will haunt your dreams and leave you hair tingling. No harm can come as long as you travel with the Ghost Hunter!
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have taken many ghost tours in my time, and to be honest I'm not sure how to describe this one. I feel like I was tricked into going on tour that was put together to show off John's "jokes", which were not funny and almost offensive(I'm sure very offensive to some). Knowing that Canterbury has so much history and having read reviews I had high expectations of this tour. We barely even walked anywhere, and just stood most of the time listening to a couple of stories that went on far too long. Needless to say I was disappointed from start to finish!

6  Thank collinsmiss
Ghosthunter1, Owner at Canterbury Ghost Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

All I can do is apologise, its very odd some people love it and others like you aparantly feel "Awkward", so maybe I better place a warning not suitable for some - perhaps it should be Marmite - Love it or Hate it?
Not my intention to make it awkward, sorry again that you had to write here rather than giving me feedback at the end of the tour, as I always say if you have not enjoyed it for any reason then let me know - I guess you have in this case. I feel I have let you down.
The night you came I was on my way to perform stand-up so maybe I was off my game.
I have to thank you for giving honest feedback however hard it is to read.
Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Canterbury Ghost Tour

Reviewed 22 April 2012

John is a funny guy who delivers ghost stories and history in a fun way. I have been in Canterbury visiting for over a week now and he showed me details on buildings that I never noticed before. I love history and the stories were very interesting. his humor is appropriate for children as there were two in our tour that were laughing the whole time. He gets you to participate in a non pushy way and overall its a wonderful tour. At less than 10 pounds it is well worth the money!!
As a history buff I would LOVE a longer tour with more historical stories....but i know ghost stories are more glamorous and a strictly historic tour would not appeal to many.

Ghosthunter1, Owner at Canterbury Ghost Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Great to receive an excellent review after the previous one who may not have understood the conept, you enjoyed it so maybe I am doing something right. Thank you for taking the time to write a positive helpful review. Remember to tell your friends you enjoyed it too.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Can't understand how this has had so many good reviews? We think perhaps it is marketed at foreign tourists who may not know better and feel involved because the tour guide speaks a little of their language. A couple of stories about how people came to a sticky end and the history of some carved corbels hardly denotes an intriguing tour, and shouting every now and then and banging your foot on Debenhams back door at the finish doesn't exactly make your hair stand on end!
Perhaps John had an off evening as a few of the people that we spoke to afterwards, that were also on the same tour, were of the same opinion.
That all said, it provided a source of amusement when having a drink with our friends afterwards.

3  Thank Meaning42
Ghosthunter1, Owner at Canterbury Ghost Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Oh dear, sorry to read your review, maybe I did have an off night, I was very dissapointed to read your review, sorry we could not have discussed it on the night as I always ask for feedback after the event, as I did that night. I generally look forward to each review in the hope it is a good/positive review, but as you said it's not to everyones taste, I do hope my reputation does not slide as a result of your review, but bad reviews make just as good reading as good, feedback good or bad is the only way I can hope to continue to strive to improve and saty focused.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

An excellent way to spend a very funny evening full of great humor and steeped in local history . Your host John will entertain you from the very beginning of the tour until the end . We learnt a lot about the historic town of Canterbury. If you are in the area give it a go you'll love it.

Ghosthunter1, Owner at Canterbury Ghost Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you for the great review I am always pleased to receive praise for the work I love doing.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Had a lovely cold march evening with my wife and dog.Great to find a dog friendly activity.Great fun, John is very good would recommend and good value.

So pleased to read your review, always happy to welcome dog owners, and your little one was a treat. So glad you took the time to review.