“Expensive, but the staff made it worth while”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 19 May 2011

This hotel is expensive, the rooms are small and can be noisy (city centre). However, it does compensate for this in many ways. It has retained a lot of the charm and character of the age of the building both inside and out. Also, the pictures on the walls mean something: images from around Kent or Canterbury which is rare for an hotel, hotels usually opt for souless, pointless pictures of fruit or dull watercolours. It seems odd I draw attention to this but in that sense the hotel goes for an international standard with a local feel. The staff are amazing, the majority are local, truly local so they know the area and can advise accordingly (a rarity in SE England where turnover is high and they get anyone in to do the basic job, usually). They couldn't do enough to accommodate us, moving rooms when the fools next door were noisy; helping us park the car, welcoming us, asking us if we were ok every time they saw us. Yes, it is expensive for a city hotel outside London. But the staff were brilliant and the overall ambience warm and welcoming, the food and service were top-notch. I'd recommend (with a warning on the price) and return. Oh, and the beds - the most comfortable I have slept on, ever.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2011

Thank you for your positive review I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and thank you for your lovely comments relating to the team. The beds are hand made Vi-Spring beds and I agree they are fantastic.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

I dont understand some of the bad reviews on here! I've stayed in many hotels in the UK and abroad and abode is certainly up with the best of them!! The room was a good size (a standard room was big enough!) it was perfectly clean, nice branded toiletries/teas/coffees unlike the cheap standards of some other hotels. Dinner in the main reastaurant was definitly amazing, was probably the nicest 5 courses I have ever had and such good service too! The breakfast was good and unlike other hotels, the abode offered to make me a vegetarian breakfast. Very good hotel overall!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review, the toiletries are bespoke to the hotel and are made by Arran Aromatic. I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable dinner, we have just introduce a wine match for each course which is proving to be a great success and adds to the overall experience.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

Booked two rooms here for myself and parents as meeting daughter who is still at Uni. All I will say about this place is that the staff are consistently great, the champagne bar is a lovely place to chill or relax during the day and people watching is always interesting in this place. We had a great weekend and parents loved it too. Its not cheap but then neither am I. (We did not enjoy 12.30am fire alarm experience - but at least we now know they work!!)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your positive review and kind comments relating to the team, I have to agree with you the champagne bar is my favourite area of the hotel.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I took my wife here for our Wedding Anniversary and we were very disappointed.
Front of house, reception and the guys in the Champagne Bar were very attentive, but it was downhill from there. For the money the room was small, tired and we had to boil the kettle three times just to get hot water for the bath. We had choosen to do the taster menu with wine, having got called to our table we were plonked in the furthest corner and left for 40 minutes with a jug of water. This caused confusion as different menus came over and eventually we got asked what we'd like. On the first course the Dry Sherry arrived twenty minutes before the course on other courses we had to keep asking where the wine to accompany the food was! The Maitre'd was clueless,food was plonked down without being explained what had arrived, anything that was explained seemed to be parrot fashion and none of the staff in the restaurant had any passion about there job.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mdp1

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you chose to spend such a special occasion with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed the service at the front desk and the champagne bar. I have of course discussed your feedback relating to the restaurant with the team.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

We were there on Saturday evening. Location is excellent. Staff professional and very thorough. Food was generally excellent and we enjoyed the evening meal in the restaurant very much. However, the rooms really weren't up to scratch, or at least ours wasn't. We upgraded from their entry-level Comfortable room to their Desirable room. Room was fine but nothing memorable. Bathroom had nasty black mildew all around the taps/bath panel which isn't terribly 'Desirable'. Showerhead wasn't terribly clean. Room 232. And the hot water pressure on Sunday morning was dreadful. Not much more than a trickle. Admittedly at 9.30 in the morning when everyone must have been showering but even so, for a boutique hotel or any decent hotel, this shouldn't be the case. And for the price paid for the room, I think more should have been expected.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write the review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening meal in the restaurant and found the staff to be professional and thorough. Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping standards within the room, I have rectified this today after reading your review, the maintenance department have re-grouted the bathroom.

Reviewed 17 February 2011

When you arrive, you are welcomed with a smile. The lunch service in the lounge or dinner service in the restaurant is dealt with professionally and with warmth. One particular gentleman (sorry, don't know his name) looked after us perfectly each night on this and previous occasions and is a great asset to this hotel, as is the famous Oscar. The rooms were cleaned spotlessly each day, and if you met the staff in the corridor they beat you to it with a hello and a smile. There was a fair bit of street noise at night, but if you want to stay in the city centre, what do you expect? The late-night revelry keeping us awake was not an issue when you consider the excellent hotel location.
The restaurant food is good quality, but it isn’t fine dining as claimed. The same dishes served at the same time looked different, the main courses didn’t arrive all together (there were enough staff willing to help) so the conclusion is a flustered kitchen. Also, the plates were barely warm, sometimes cold, and the food not hot enough in the first place - or at least when it arrived - such a shame and so easy to get right. My wife & I have eaten at other establishments in Kent for similar prices and they are in a different league. When all said and done though, the food did not let the Abode Canterbury down, but just wasn’t as good at the publicity would have you believe.
This hotel is good value for money if you stay on one of the deals being offered on the website.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and for your very kind comments relating to the team and Oscar. I am sorry for the inconsistency with your evening meal in the restaurant we do strive to exceed our guest’s expectations. I will discuss your comments with the restaurant manager and executive chef. I really appreciate your comments, customer feedback is vital in order for me to monitor and improve the product and service delivery within the hotel. I do take all feedback both positive and negative extremely seriously.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stayed at Abode this weekend, and I was very impressed with the standard of the hotel.

The room was lovely, it was very large, clean and we had a view over the highstreet, and the bed was the most comfortable one I have ever slept on.

Checking in was easy, there were lots of staff on reception, and someone immediately took our bags up to the room.

The only faults with our stay were:

1) the car park is a long walk away from the hotel, especially when you have lots of bags to carry.

2) The key to our room appeared to be faulty. Everytime I tried to get in to the room the key wouldnt work and I had to go to reception to get it reset.

These two points aside, I would definately recommend it and hope to be staying in the hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. The beds are hand made vi-spring beds and are a wonderful product. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.