“Excellent location and (small) private car park.”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Putte, Belgium
“Excellent location and (small) private car park.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The last three years, we've travelled a lot to Canterbury, mainly in support of our daughter who was studying at the Univ. of Kent. We often stayed in a B&B ( "The York Lodge" is a good choice) or we stayed somewhere in Sussex while visiting the countryside. We went mostly during spring or autumn. This was our first summer visit and therefore we were looking for a place with airco, in case it would be a hot July. Since it was also graduation for our daughter in the cathedral, we were looking for a central location, close to the cathedral. The Abode offers both: a very well working airco, and sitting in the middle of High street: the best central location you can find. As mentioned in the title, there is also a private, at night closed, car park: it is not large-12 to 15 cars- and a bit tricky to find, driving through narrow streets, but it's a big plus and the closest you can “centrum”-park your car at only a cost of 5£ per 24 hours...if you come not too late (by noon), you're probably lucky to have a spot, but otherwise car park can be full.
When arriving, welcome was very friendly and helpful. Since we were early, our room was not ready at the time of check-in but we could leave our bags secure in the hotel and they were even brought to our room when we returned to the hotel after lunch. Our room was on the second floor at the back of the hotel: it’s not a beautiful view but you’re sure to have a quite room with no street noise. Our room was a most desirable: the room is not very spacious but large enough with a good bed, desk and chair but no other seat or couches which is strange for a room of that price. The additional tuck box and free water and coffee making facilities are a plus. Bathroom is large, modern and clean.
In the past, we have visited the restaurant for dining and food is good, without being extraordinary, but portions are small and price is high when eating “a la carte”, but in the city it’s the best fine dining place you’ll find although there are of course many other dining options in Canterbury. For breakfast, you can opt for the hotel or choose to go outside –which we did: we tried the breakfast at “Café rouge” and at “Patisserie Valerie” and found it both times very good (and cheaper but of course less luxurious than the Abode).
The Abode is a very good hotel with a fantastic location but this comes at a price and during graduation week, it is clearly overpriced. Nevertheless, I would go back.

2 Thank leuzon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Abode in Canterbury. The hotel is in an excellent location being in the heart of the city centre, great for all the shops and restaurants.
I was travelling with my teenage daughter and requested a twin room - there was unfortunately a mix up and we were shown to a rather small double - this was however rectified and were eventually given a twin room which , I think, must have been recently redecorated or something as the smell in there was pretty noxious. Having been told there was nothing else available we decided that we could live with it.
The breakfast was good and of a good standard with a good choice. We did not eat in the restaurant but did have cream tea in the lounge/bar area. Overall good experience would go back if need to be in Canterbury again.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Lisa A
Canterbury, Kent
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Travelled hundreds of miles from Scotland to visit friends and was advised that this was "The" place to stay. Off to a good start, friendly reception, bar area looked posh.. Paid £135 via booking.com for executive room.. One point to mention, ! ive stayed in hotels around the world ranging from £29 to £1000 per night so im a good judge of value and expectation. The bed was comfy.... other than that, the room reminded me of a self contained flat in the days of Jack the Ripper and ive seen better baths in Butlins.

Breakfast was ok and fresh but overall prices need to lowered, or a total refit is needed with attention to the creeky floorboards.

In the lift there was a restraunt advertisement for £90 per head for dinner in the legendary Michael Caines Restraunt. My wife is a huge fan, she has all the films including Jaws 4 and The Italian Job, so may return for that.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie F
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy the design and finish of our most desirable room. Not sure I can make comments on your comparisons.
If you are returning to Canterbury we do offer rooms from £99 depending on availability.
Regards
Declan
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have stayed at the Abode hotel many times and have mostly enjoyed all my stays there. The lunches are well worth the money and are presented very well by both the chefs and the waiters. Usually when we visit Canterbury we eat out in the evenings to one of the cities restaurants but always return to the Abode and the Champagne Bar for there wonderful made cocktails. I have to admit that I know of no other bar that serves up such good cocktails. Service in the bar is good alll round and if you do get the chance then it is worth paying them a visit just to go to the Champagne Bar.

Room Tip: Choose the 'Comfortable Room'.
Sunndalsora, Norway
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Most tourists visit Canterbury for a few days. We (my wife and I) stayed for 8 days in July 2012.

The Abode is located right in the middle of high street. Everything is within walking distance.
The hotel is nice, with (mostly) a welcoming staff, clean rooms, and an excellent breakfast in Michael Caines restaurant.

Room Service did a good job, and the overall experience is good. Very good.
As with most English hotels, the building is old, and there are creaky floors under the carpets.
Being allergic, I would prefer if the room had wooden floors instead of carpets, but thatæs rare in England.

Service was superb, several waiters in the breakfast room, and a choice of cooked breakfast in addition to an ok buffet. (Full English, eggs benedict and so on).

If I HAVE to mention things I was not too pleased with: Bad plumbing (what else is new?). Water using a LOONG time to go down from the sink in our room.
Low water pressure in the shower. And: a wi-fi solution that works, but bad signal in a few of the rooms, and you need to register with a company (u2/dell?) to get access. If you register on your laptop, and log on with your iPhone as well, you get logged off the wi-fi on your laptop. So you need to register a new name/password for every device.
You also have to log back on if you go for a walk, and com back to your rooom.
With bad eyesight and wi-fi on the iPhone, this was something I grew tired of after a few days...

All in all: YES, I would definitely stay again, as service was excellent. But I hope they change their wi-fi solution, and that a plumber fixes the drain...

Clean, cozy, elegant, good experience. I recommend it!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
staffordshire
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stayed here again as there really isnt too much choice in Canterbury and my son has been at Uni here ......he has finished now so wont have to stay again!
The rooms are small and just not great.....rubbish wardrobes that look like a really bad DIY'er made them and you cant hang much in them as they are so small. Reception are nice and friendly but the bar service was really poor this visit...... was better on previous visits. The breakfast is always good freshly made and service is really very good.....shame the rooms let this place down as the location is great.........but you may not have much choice but to stay here!

Room Tip: Get a room on the back of the hotel....drunken students at 3am coming out of bars and clubs...
1 Thank STRINGERS
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am sorry that you don’t like our bedrooms. We offer 6 category of bedroom from our comfortable rooms all the way to our most enviable (junior suite) and the fabulous suites which has a roof terrace overlooking the Cathedral.
Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team and the quality of breakfast.
Regards
Declan
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My daughter and I recently spent two nights at the Abode Hotel, which is in the centre of the high street. The staff were extremely warm and friendly. The car park is very small and was full by the time we checked in. The staff were very helpful and gave us directions to a nearby public car park, which was also very secure. Our room was just lovely and had everything we needed. Coffee/tea making facilities, including some scrummy cookies (not the dreaded shortbread you get in most hotels). An iron and board! The beds were like giant marshmallows! Heaven! The bathroom was spacious and the shower was great. I loved the bar of soap so much, that I took it home with me!
We had a cocktail in the champagne bar, which is located just off the lobby. It's a lovely, comfortable room. Big leather sofas and a nice, relaxing atmosphere. We chose the continental breakfast, which we enjoyed. On the second evening, we had dinner at Michael Caines (the chef, not the actor) restaurant, which is in the hotel. The meal and service was exceptionally good. The Abode is a hotel I would feel very comfortable staying at if I was travelling alone. The staff made me feel at ease. It's also centrally located. It's the perfect hotel in the perfect spot!!!