“Nice treat”

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
“Nice treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I wanted to pay for my room a month in advance. They method for this was very strange and very unsafe. I had to write a letter stating that I wanted to pay in advance and send a copy of both sides of my debit card. They advised me this was to stop people from using stolen cards to pay for a room. I was told that this information was kept for 7 years and then destroyed.
I have never heard of this method and this needs to be addressed as it nearly put me off staying here.

However, the stay in the hotel was wonderful. We had a massive bed, which was very soft. So soft in fact that I texted my friends to say that if they don't find me again I will be stuck in it!! The room was very clean and the basket of complimentary goodies was a great treat.

Can't say anything about the service as we didn't have a meal or breakfast.

Only issue was the wifi, which only lasted about 2 mins until we had to log on again, grrr very annoying.

It was a lovely post-wedding treat and we would happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

Hotel is very nice. Relaxed atmosphere and the bar area is welcoming. the staff are all really friendly and professional.
The bed was the softest and lumpiest bed I have ever stayed on though and as a result it was a terrible night's sleep.
We paid the bill the next day and left and it was only when we got home that we saw they had charged us 17 pounds for bringing drinks to our table twice for my husbandm myself, our son who is in university there and his friend. We ordered at the bar and were asked to sit down as they would bring the drinks across - they failed to mention they would charge us over £8 a time for this service.
This left a sour taste in my mouth.
I would not stay here again - mainly as a result of the quality of the beds

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not find the bed comfortable. I did check the mattress on receipt of your review and can confirm that a section of the springs within the mattress had collapsed resulting in limited support. We have purchased a new vi-spring mattress for the bedroom.

We do charge a discretionary 12% service charge within the champagne bar, and our service standard is to offer waiter service. The service charge would have been removed if requested to do so. I can assure you we do not attempt to mislead our guests and I apologise if you feel this was the case.

Thank you for your feedback.

rochester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Great hotel, wth excellent locaton to the centre of canterbury wthout sufferng from to much nose from the hgh street below. Staff were all helpful, informatve and well turned out. Room was great, free standng bath a nice touch and plenty of space in our room for an old building.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I love this venue because it is so old on the outside (fitting perfectly with Canterbury) but is lovely and modern on the inside. The staff are amazing, so helpful and polite. The rooms are a good size, the food is fabulous and it could not be in a better location - right on the High Street and yet we barely heard any noise at all. We will definaltey be staying here again and would definatley reccomend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Canterbury.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sphynxy1983
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed at the Abode on a Friday night for a change of scenery from the hustle and bustle of London.

The staff at the Abode are great, all very polite and chatty and keen to help out where possible. The rooms are reasonably sized, and the rooms we saw were all very clean and modern, furnished with Arran Aromatics toiletries.

We ate breakfast on the Saturday morning in Michael Caines restaurant which was very good, nicely cooked and a decent supply of toast and tea/coffee. Breakfast is not included in the room price.

The hotel is in a great location, a few minutes walk from the Westgate.

However, a few things were a little disappointing with our stay:

- The hotel wasn't full, yet we got lumped with a room at the back of the hotel looking out over the Foundry nightclub (we found this out at 2am in the morning when trying to get to sleep). Suffice to say on a Friday night this was pretty noisy until it kicked out at the early hours of Saturday morning. I appreciate that this is a central city hotel, but a little warning wouldn't have gone amiss BEFORE being allocated the room, to give us a chance to request being moved at some time other than 2am in the morning. The manager agreed this was a bit daft and gave us a discount off of our room bill, but I'm slightly perplexed why they don't allocate the rooms on a location-priority basis. Surely people have complained about this before?!

- The bathroom was pretty lethal to get ready in. Angle the shower head too high and it soaks the whole room, too low and you're risking slipping on the back of the bath and cracking your head open. I spent more time than I'd have liked clearing water off of the bathroom floor!

- The lighting in our room was insufficient once the natural light disappeared. Very pretty yes, but irritating to get ready in. The one ceiling light above the mirror did nothing to light the room when switched on.

The bar seemed to have a lot of people working on the Friday night, but still took an age to prepare drinks. At one point I got sent away from the bar so that they could serve us at our table, 20 minutes later we were still waiting for our drinks until I went and collected them from the bar myself! (I pointed this out to the manager the following day, who took this round of drinks off our bill)

- This is totally personal preference, but the beds were way too soft with rock hard pillows. I had a terrible night's sleep.

Overall for the money, I'd have expected more; to not have to pay extra for breakfast, and a room that was designed to be functional rather than just nice looking.

Room Tip: One that doesn't overlook the nightclub at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ripuk
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you for your review and for your lovely comments relating to the team.

I am sorry for the noise disturbance from the local bar, this should not happen. I have informed the manager of the bar to ensure this does not happen again.

I have spoken to the champagne bar manager following your comments and apologise for the slow service on the night.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed in Kent to visit friends in the area and decided to stay here.

It is fairly pricy but the standard of rooms you get are very high and the staff are very professional! The food is excellent here and we are considering coming back for their hotel and theatre package soon that they run with the Marlowe!

The staff were friendly and helpful with luggage (I don't travel light!)

You must stay here at some point if you ever visit Canterbury, it's a beautiful place, the real gem of Kent. We were told it was one of the nicest hotels in the area and although we were not disappointed, the only thing was that we wondered if we could get the same standard for a slightly lesser price?

Room Tip: I have not rated the pool or childrens activities badly because they were bad - but because I am not...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Thank you for posting your review and for the kind comments relating to the team.

With regards the price, we are currently offering a dinner bed and breakfast promotion for £99 per room per night. The prices do change based on occupancy I would advise the earlier you book the better chance of a great rate.

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have no qualms with the staff, who are polite and efficient and the general standard of the hotel is good.

However there are some fundamental things wrong with the room we stayed in – Room 221:

Temperature – the room was so hot. The air conditioning did not work. It was set at 17 degrees and was kicking out warm air. We had to try and sleep on top of the bed without covers.

Noise – in an attempt to cool the room to a comfortable temperature we opened the inner window and the outer sash window, only to be greeted by a god awful noise from a heating duct and fan outside. This made it harder to get any sleep – we had to resort to stuffing our ears with toilet paper.

Bed / Mattress – this was a really soft, unsupportive mattress which was also lumpy. We both have sore backs today.

Shower – we had a shower after we checked-in in the afternoon with no problems. In the morning however the shower had turned to a dribble. We went without a shower..

The abode is meant to be a “boutique” 4 star hotel… Our experiences are not what we expected for the price we paid and it is unlikely that we will be back at an Abode any time soon.

Room Tip: Room 221 is VERY hot and the AC does not work. Open the window to get some air in to the room and yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikaela W
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for giving you cause to complain.

With regards the temperature, the room is set on heating at the moment. To cool the room the setting would need to be changed to air conditioning, the instructions to do this are in the bedroom directory.

The beds are all hand made vi-spring beds which are soft by design, but should not be uncomfortable. I have checked the mattress and I have also reported your comments to the manufacturer and asked that the account manager for our area visits the hotel to inspect the mattress. We have had feedback in the past from guests preferring a firm mattress and we have bed boards available that change the spring in the base resulting in a firmer feel to the bed.

I am very sorry for the issue with water pressure with your shower on the morning of the 17th. I am pleased to advise you that this has been corrected.