“Abode Canterbury lovely hotel.”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The rooms were lovely , very clean, modern and spacious. The hotel itself was very stylish and the breakfast was superb. The service was brilliant. The only fault I had was that there was a wedding at the hotel on the Saturday and the place was full of wedding guests, every lounge area and seating area had guests in throughout most of the day and night, and there was no where for our family to sit and relax. As we had several rooms booked we all had to pile into the biggest of the rooms to sit and chill out after a long day shopping and sightseeing. The rooms could do with some sofas or easy chairs in them.

Room Tip: Twin rooms are much bigger rooms than the doubles.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed here recently, and have done several times in over the past years. Really like the hotel- it's central, friendly, good food, and comfortable but this time it just seemed a bit 'off'. As the car park was full I was directed to the nearest one that the hotel uses - a good ten minutes walk. Fine as I dropped the bags off before moving the car on arrival but not so good at 8am the next morning when I had to walk with full luggage back to the car. Requested a double room, as sharing with daughter, but was told I would have to pay extra £20 as they didnot have 'twins' in standard rooms. The room was fine but a bit 'tired'- silly things like cleaning and cracks and loose hooks - at these prices they should attend be on top of the maintenance. I suppose the main issue for both of us was lack of sleep - daughter's bed had really bad problem with broken springs sticking out and both of us suffered with pillow problems. Each bed had two pillows but the pillows were only half the width of the bed and really hard and lumpy. Daughter slept without any and I use one but this meant that if I moved either way in the single bed I was off of the central pillow. Why supply pillows that you either have to have side by side or in the middle - and even then only if the pillows are not too hard and lumpy to use? I mentioned this to the receptionist whilst checking out and she expressed surprise as 'no one elsehad said about the pillows' but looking through the reviews I see several other guests have. Time to get it sorted. Some serious thinking is needed to bring this hotel back to the good one it used to be - the prices are rising quickly but the standards are slipping.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stayed in this hotel on two occasion,in both a standard room and a suite. Both rooms where fantastic and have great bath rooms. The suite was absolutely stunning with a glass bathroom and the roof terrace was a great treat with views over the roof tops of Canterbury. Staff where friendly and extremely helpful. Have eaten in the restaurant and also the other restaurant at the back of the hotel which is slightly better value but less fancy. My only criticism was the portion size in the restaurant for the money you pay for it. Another big plus for this hotel is that it is directly on the high street and also has off road parking.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

We were invited to a friends 50th birthday meal. We were greeted on arrival with attentive staff in the bar area. We were then directed to have Champagne in the cathedral room. The waitress was lovely. Taking photos for us and nothing seemed too much trouble. After drinks we were taken to "The Chefs Table" a lovely room with a beautifully laid table. We had a viewing widow so we could see the chefs in the kitchen who were all smiley, not easy being watched whilst you work! I think I can speak for our whole party of 12 in saying we could not fault the meal. 6 courses. The flavours were Devine. Presentation was very tasteful. Our waitress ( Gemma) was consistent throughout the whole afternoon. Always with a smile on her face and professional at all times. As we're the other waiters delivering our meals. Explaining each and every one of them. We had a wonderful afternoon and would recommend to our friends. I own a restaurant and look for certain things and I was totally wowed! Well done abode and staff.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at this top priced hotel in the very central area of Canterbury with the cathedral only 150 m away . The location is excellent .....although it is probably best to avoid street front rooms as the area is noisy. Our room was at the back overlooking a bleak car parking area. The room was quite large enough but amazingly in such an expensive hotel it had only one chair ...upright desk type...and nowhere to sit and relax. However we slept well.

The real disappointment arose at breakfast . This is taken in a ground floor room which is far too small . The policy is obvious. When one room fills up then a second one behind it is opened. However, there is an inadequate transfer of staff and as a result the service is extremely poor .

The breakfast starts with a buffet but tables are jammed in so tightly that queues form to squeeze around those seated at tables nearest to the buffet. We saw how uncomfortable this made seated guests and so we insisted on going into the back room where we were greeted but then ignored for 10 15 minutes.

We were finally served coffee and cold limp toast and our order taken...but a friend with us waited so long for his cooked breakfast that he did not have time to eat it. In addition it is disgraceful that a hotel of this standard is serving what appeared to be pasteurised fruit juice.

The staff at the reception were very nice and extremely helpful in sorting out an excursion for us but overall this hotel was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Avoid those overlooking the street
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BudapestDavidandKim
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy breakfast. The restaurant can accommodate 75 guests which I do feel is sufficient for breakfast but I do accept that at weekends from 9am the restaurant can become busy.

I have discussed your comments relating to the quality of the toast and with the restaurant manger.

Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team.

Regards

Declan

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I went here with friend for my birthday last year, it was quite posh but quality all the way. Very friendly staff and although small portions the food was divine. Will certainly be returning. A little expensive but well worth the prices, if you're on a budget perhaps try the lunch 'taster' menu.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday treat! Fantastic room spotlessly clean. Staff were lovely and complimentary toiletries and sundries galore. Very swanky and could not of asked for more! Breakfast was great with a wide variety and my fiances poached eggs were cooked to perfection. Looking forward to getting married here next year :-)

• Stayed: April 2013