“A most pleasant hotel”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 6 July 2008

I liked this hotel very much. I can comment on the accommodation only, as I did not use the restaurant at all. The staff, both at reception and in the bar, were most pleasant and welcoming. The room was lovely. I note the comment from a previous reviewer about the softness of the mattress, and I would concur - perhaps something to be looked at in future, as not everyone likes them that soft. I was a little disappointed in the shower, as I thought it was out of kilter with the rest of the accommodation, i.e. a bit drippy and not very easily adjustable. The overall standard of cleanliness was very high. The location is excellent; could not be better. Will most definitely book again if I find myself in Canterbury again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for ABode Canterbury

Reviewed 6 July 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and they were extremely accommodating. They arranged for a travel cot to be put up in our room on very short notice. The room was really big, modern and nicely decorated. The breakfasts were delicious. The hotel is very central. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 28 May 2008

My partner and I stayed at this hotel over the May Bank Holiday (Whitsun) with some friends for a bit of a reunion.

Some pros and cons:

Pros:

The location could not have been better - right in the middle of the High Street, it was so easy to go shopping and sightseeing and then just "pop back" to our base to drop things off or have a drink.

The communal areas - lobby, bars, restaurant and so on were pristine and modern.

The Cathedral room was very cosy - probably nice to curl up with a magazine or something with the roaring fire in the winter.

The in-room toiletries were very nice....grapefruit hair and body shampoo, coconut body lotion and so on. (But no hair conditioner).

The rooms were modern and functional. Very comfortable bed but may be too soft for some.

They allowed us a late checkout without charge to our room until 2pm.

Breakfast was nice but the cooked selection was not great - full english breakfast or parts thereof - nothing else such as omelettes.

The tavern behind the hotel was very nice indeed.

Cons:

When we arrived, they had us noted as staying for 1 night not two - poor admin but resolved quickly.

The first room we were sent to was unsatisfactory. The carpet was stained and filthy immediately inside the entrance to the room and all the way to the bed. I really don't know how the carpet managed to look so old! It really did not encourage us to kick off our shoes and relax! So we were moved (no argument from the receptionists). The carpet was slightly better (but still had stains on it, probably from housekeeping trolleys, I think) so we stayed put.

Little information in the rooms about anything about the hotel. For example, we had to guess which number to dial for reception - there was no directory, as such. A minor annoyance, but as you can imagine, having been wrongly booked in and then having got to our room to find it to be unacceptable, to then find we couldn't find the number to call reception to complain, this was beginning to get on our nerves somewhat - not a good start to the break.....

When one of our friends asked if she could do something similar to us re: late checkout, she was treated a little snottily - not a very friendly person at the desk at the time.

Parking not good - our friends had to park a 5-10 minute walk away.

and - oh dear - the bar!

A group of seven of us ordered cocktails (plus one rum and coke) at about 10.30pm We waited....and waited... and waited....and then about half an hour later the (junior, I think) barman came out to say that they had to finish getting the ingredients for the cocktails together and apologised for the wait. When the drinks finally came they were awful! Weak, watery, barely any taste of any alcohol at all (not what you expect for £9 a pop!). So we complained to the first barman we saw - who said they had had to improvise as they did not have all the necessary ingredients! We complained that this was not good enough and he agreed to take them off the bill. Fine. Except that the more senior barman came around, with an attitude that said "I don't believe you" and tried all of the cocktails, trying to explain that actually, he didn't know why the first barman had said what he had about the ingredients. After some time, he eventually agreed that the drinks were not right - the alcohol content was there, but had been watered down on most because the ice had been waiting in the glasses with the drink in it while the other poor barman had been rushing round to get the ingredients and had melted!!! Not good. Anyhow, in part redemption of all of this, they gave us a free bottle of rose wine - but not until they were prompted by our suggesting that amends had to be made. It soured the evening somewhat and I think that the bar staff do need more training in customer service, in all seriousness.

They did make some amends but, to be honest, it would have been nicer to get the cocktails we were intending to buy and enjoy them and not have to go through the experience of arguing with the bar staff.

Would we stay there again? Yes, for the right price (it is the nicest hotel in Canterbury) but if there was good competition we would probably try elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank CAJLondon
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Despite booking a deal on the hotel's website the staff seemed suprised by the deal in both the hotel and the restaurant.
To cut a long story short, the 'desirable' room (a higher grade than the basic) was only that because it was larger - I had been led to higher expectations - with no fridge. The staff were largely unaware of anything.
The 'included' meal was off the laughably short and basic table d'hote menu and the food was not good, I had to send my fish back for being too salty. I dont' mind simple food, but in a Michael Caines' restaurant I expected it beautifully cooked. One of the available starters was cod goujons. Which may well have come from a findus bag they were just run of the mill. The service was hopeless, we waited 45 minutes to get our water despite asking 4 people. And there is more....but I shan't write it all in.
THe bill for the restaurant was wrong, and the checkout bill was wrong. The maitre d' and reception staff didn't appear to have much idea of what was going on or care if I was happy or not. One of the waiting staff did, but then took 20 minutes to get coffee. Overall, I am totally disappointed in both the hotel and the restaurant. Luckily, Canterbury is gorgeous and the weather was glorious, given my time again I'd have stayed somewhere else and just eaten in the myriad of other restaurants.

Stayed: May 2008
3  Thank 3Sanges
Reviewed 5 May 2008

The location is fantastic right in the centre of Canterbury, The only issue is that this hotel seems to be used by American business men and women which means they can charge what they like and they do!

The restaurant is a Michael Caines and again is very expensive

Great bedroom although bathroom is impratical with nowhere to even out a wash bag except the floor

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mcaa1
Reviewed 5 May 2008

We stayed one night as a short break over the May bank holiday weekend.

Despite reading reviews on here first, we still ended up with a 1st floor room racing the high street. I was woken at about 5am when they swept the street, but apart from that it wasn't too noisy.

The bed room was fairly small, but not cramped. The bathroom was very modern and spacious. Soap/shampoo etc were all very good.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly. We had no special requests, but they pro-actively offered us maps, theatre guide and lists of attractions in and around Canterbury.

Parking was a problem. We took the last space, which was actually reserved for disabled drivers, so we left my mobile number at reception in case someone that needed it arrived after us.

We could only get a 9pm reservation at the restaurant, which is an hour later than we would normally eat. We started with a half bottle of Champaign in the Champaign Bar at 8:30pm. It has a complex flavour and we both thought it tasted nicer than many "brand" Champaigns we have tried.

Sadly, things went downhill from there. We moved to the restaurant at 9pm, and things ground to a halt. Simple things like bringing the wine list took ages. At one point there was a 15 minute gap between being shown the bottle of wine I had ordered, and it actually being opened.

I think we finished our main course just before mid-night. I hate to be rushed, but 2 courses in 3 hours is a bit too relaxed. We were offered dessert, but by that time, we were ready for bed, and who knows how long it would have taken to arrive. The slow service was a shame, because the complimentary lobster soup and both main courses were excellent (not so impressed by the starters!)

We enjoyed our visit to Canterbury, and would recommend this hotel, but if offered a 9pm table at the restaurant, maybe look around for somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank niceguy1966
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Just spent three nights at the ABode. Very comfortable room right in the heart of "old" Canterbury. I really appreciated the free wireless internet and the iron in the room.

The staff was very accommodating, to the point where they actually reopened the bar so that four of us could end the evening with a pint. (They did charge us a fee for reopening the bar...a comical 80 p
($1.60)!)

Other reviewers have commented on the limited parking. To make matters worse, the GPS system in the car taking me there was unaware that the street is blocked to non-pedestrian traffic. Unable to turn, the driver found himself trying to navigate the narrow and/or one-way roads to considerable frustration, until with the help of several passers by we got to a dead-end that happened to be at the back of the ABode.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MichiganFloyd