“Poor attention to detail”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Location on high street and lack of competition has made this a hotel that is hard to ignore in my home town for years but on returning to visit family over Christmas, I found the quality of accommodation distinctly disappointing. The shared areas really are pleasant with lovely ambient lighting but our room felt utterly lacking in personality and whilst they'd clearly attempted to apply a modern 'spartan' feel, they'd missed out on significant basic housekeeping.

The sink drained incredibly slowly - one tooth brushing episode would leave it full. The door hooks on the back of the bathroom door were just metal stumps fixed to a poorly painted chunk of wood. The room seemed large and lacking in furniture - a desk and one upright corner chair plus bed floated in the room and there was loads of space not utilised that could have contained something cosy to soften the feel of the place. I could not get the wifi connection to work and later discovered the instructions in the manual were out of date. The walls were not enormously well insulated from other room noise. Our room had a bleak outlook onto an internal area, although I was pleased not to be overlooking one of the roads where late night revellers could be an issue. On a very blowy night, the windows rattled to the point of keeping a person awake.

These are just minor tweaks but for a hotel selling a lifestyle downstairs of swish modernity in traditional surroundings, our room just did not match the story. The worst offender, however, by far were the lumpy pillows. The duty manager agreed with me the following morning that he himself could not have slept on them - horrendous- fibres all knotted making a square bag of lumps to rest your head on. They are apparently in the process of replacing these - why wait? Why sell me a room in which I'll be unable to get a good night's sleep?

The way staff dealt with my quibbles pushed the rating up from 2 to 3. Disappointing stay in my home town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for your comments, its disappointing you did not find your room to your liking. We had a new Wi-Fi system installed just before Christmas and thank you for your comments relating to the instructions which I will change. We are replacing pillows as we do throughout the year as and when we feel they need replaced, I do apologise for the uncomfortable pillow which we should have changed prior to your stay.

Regards

Declan

There are newer reviews for ABode Canterbury

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here on 27/12/13 booked a deluxe room for a fair amount of money for my husband's 40th birthday. The room was smaller than expected but clean and welcoming. Advertised robe and slippers but could only find the robes....... unfortunately did not have a great nights sleep as we had very noisy people above us putting the tv on loudly and talking loudly, wouldn't have minded but it was 04·30am. To be fair I did ring reception who did sort the issue out. Just one word of advise if you have a room with wooden floors be respectful to the people underneath your room and remove your shoes as it is very noisy .The breakfast is not that great no full english and a horrible bowl of fruit and they consider two very small croissants as French pastries.

Room Tip: Have the top floor rooms less noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to learn you were disturbed by neighbouring guests during your stay. Our expected delivery of slippers was due the week prior to Christmas and has been delayed until W/C 6th January I am sorry they were not available.

Regards
Declan

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Everything about this hotel was superb.
The staff were extremely helpful and the food in the bar was very good.
The rooms were lovely and we had a wonderful night's sleep.
The only problem is parking, so leave plenty of time to find a space!
We will be going back and thoroughly recommend Abode.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed Xmas Eve/Christmas Day 2013 and liked the feel/ambience of the hotel, helped mainly by the very inviting cocktail/wine bar with sofas and open fire immediately to your right as you enter the hotel. Unfortunately the lovely open fire was turned off around 9.30pm on Xmas Eve, pity because it really gave a Winter/festive glow to the evening...

Room was nice and comfortable, had a 'trying at boutique' style, all in all - good. Walls are thin, so we could hear next door's TV and anything spoken in the hall outside, but great street noise insulation.

A comment on staff: young and personable, but a bit wooden. The receptionist who checked us in was into her approved scripts and told us that "today, the lift will be taking you to the second floor" duh..! Senior managers, let the staff be themselves, if they have no personality, then don't hire them in the first place. It's always nice to be welcomed with a little engagement.

Enjoyed it and would go back.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Location perfect. Room 304 is spacious, comfortable and attractive and distant from the old noisy lift but on this visit the heating ventilation system was completely inoperative throughout my 3 night stay. The Hotel is obviously aware of this as a small portable electric convector heater was provided. Tip - leave it on! Cooked breakfast is a disaster with cold plates, undercooked tepid ingredients, tepid weak tea and to round it off the toast better described as warm bread. This restaurant is pretentious with its exquisite decor and well dressed staff caring more about the pristine napkins and table setting than the actual food. Is there a real chef in that kitchen at breakfast and does this restaurant actually have a quality rating? Worst of all is the parking. 14 places inaccessible from the interior of the hotel but only 12 used. The park is up an alleyway and the hotel closes the large black doors (for security reasons they say) making it necessary to call reception only to be told during most of my stay that the car park was full. The hotel provides a voucher to a council car park half a kilometre distant and charges £6 for this for 24 hours. I walked back to the hotel late at night in the pouring rain. On the day I had a space I went to the car to collect my walking boots and had to stand outside in the rain waiting for the doors to be opened. Two other guests gave up waiting and departed the wet alleyway. I suggest the hotel offer reserved parking when booking or vouchers to a much nearer car park to make things predictable or better still valet parking. Final tip - don't complain to the reception staff for they appear not to have had that essential customer care training that ensures that they listen, apologise and never argue with the customer. When I complained to a Duty Manager about waiting in the rain for the park doors to be opened he called me an angry man.
All this in a superb building in a superb location is a classic indicator to ineffective management. My bill was £666.00 for the 3 nights.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms adjacent to the old noisy single lift. The third floor rooms are spacious and comfor...
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I won a free stay in one of the Most Enviable rooms at the Canterbury Abode Hotel. The stay included one night and breakfast.
When I arrived, I was greeted by a happy, polite member of staff who instantly made me feel welcome. She showed myself and my partner where all the facilities were and gave us our room key.
The room was gorgeous. The bed was wider than it was long, the free standing bath, shower, and en suite were all glorious, as were the extras that could be expected in such an expensive room. A basket of goodies was laid out for us and teas and coffees of several varieties were provided. The TV channels were a bit lacking and there was the odd cobweb in the room but besides that I have absolutely no complaints. My sleep would have been extremely comfortable if it were not for the ratting windows but seeing as we had gale force winds all night, I could forgive that!
The general hotel décor was grand and lovely, and the Michael Caines Michelin Star restaurant was lovely. Staff were professional and extremely quick with food and beverages. I liked the breakfast selection, unfortunately the vegetarian cooked breakfast which I had left me wanting more. 1 sausage, 1 tomato, beans an egg and spinach really looked lovely and did taste it but were unfortunately cold and didn't fill the hole. I certainly wouldn't spend £11.50 on it unless I took advantage of the cereals too. However I filled up on toast so I didn't mind. Checkout was easy and staff again were polite.
If I had £260 spare, would I book this room? Most definitely! But there are several other rather more lovely cafes in Canterbury that I would prefer breakfast at.

Room Tip: Book a room that comes with free confectionery- the chocolate is to die for!
1  Thank VioletHall
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Location to the city was great! Lovely room with comfortable TV sitting area and beautiful bathroom. We also loved the complimentary goodies. Food was really good. Beautiful, relaxing, very comfortable!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family