“Very comfortable, memorable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
London
“Very comfortable, memorable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

We visited the Abode Canterbury for our wedding anniversary as we got married there (when it was called the County Hotel) five years ago.

The change from County to Abode has been marked by an overhaul of all of the rooms, a new "destination" restaurant and the changing of the hotel public bar into a champagne bar.

The room was bright, well furnished and had one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.

In contrast to the other reviewers, we found the reception staff to be friendly and efficient. The champagne bar was also worth a visit.

The only negative point to our stay was the breakfast. Service was friendly but very slow, the food was poor and the coffee awful. I would expect better from a hotel which is trying to establish itself as a "gastro" destination. Indeed, the low quality breakfast put me off the idea of eating in the restaurant that evening.

• Liked — Rooms, location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

We booked the hotel through bookings.com (?) and got a reasonable rate (not including breakfast (I've said it before, and I'll continue saying it - I hate hotels who do not include breakfast in the room rate)).

After booking the hotel, I tried calling them to ask about parking. I knew the hotel had a car park, and I wanted to reserve a place. I knew what time I would be arriving, so I thought it a logical thing to do. The hotel staff who answered the phone was rather rude in saying that it's first come first served. They don't take reservations for the carpark, and I'd have to hope for the best.

Anyway, we arrived, in the pouring rain. I left the car as close to the hotel entrance as possible (not far, but far enough to get quite wet) and asked about parking. No. All full. Have to park in Rosemary Street instead. I unloaded the bags, left my wife to check in, and I moved the car.

The room was already paid for. But they still asked for a creditcard to cover "anything else which might come up". My wife refused and said that we would pay when checking out for anything we consume. The receptionist was a little sniffy at that, but accepted it and made no further comment.

The first room we were shown had a very badly stained carpet. Just stained and dirty. If they want to be a 4-star hotel, then they should invest in a carpet cleaner.

The second room was better.

The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The tea and coffee making facilities were very good and tasty. And the room was very nice.

As mentioned earlier, breakfast wasn't included, but there are loads of cafes on the High Street, so we didn't go hungry. Checking out was OK - no problems there.

Overall, it is a nice hotel Perfectly located. But they really need to improve their service in some areas.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

We spent two nights at Abode Canterbury in their junior suite at £175 per night. The room was lovely, modern, very clean and we had two very comfortable nights sleep. On arrival we were greeted by a most helpful receptionist who was friendly and very efficient. Unfortunately parking at the hotel was full and we were a bit inconvenienced in that respect as the nearest car park is about 10 mins walk away.

However, on our first day breakfast service was very poor. We arrived at 9.25am, and although waiters and waitresses buzzed around us busily, their priority most certainly was not to meet our needs and provide us with breakfast! We were offered tea or coffee and after 10 mins there was no sign of the tea ordered - we had to request it again. There was no apology given! We were then ignored for a further 10 mins as they set up the lunch tables! We summoned a waitress and asked if we could possibly order breakfast! Once again no apology! Inefficient and apathetic staff who lacked iniative, and little sign that anyone in authority was keeping much of an eye on the situation! Would not expect such poor service at the price!

Our second day's breakfast experience was more positive though as mentioned in another review, the menu is somewhat unimaginative at the price! We didn't find waitressing staff to be particularly welcoming or friendly but rather aloof!

Checkout wasn't too efficient either despite the fact that it wasn't particularly busy! One very efficient receptionist and a little boy who appeared somewhat out of his depth!!

Overall we found the accomodation of very good quality but the breakfast service was very disappointing!

• Liked — location and modern decor and great cocktails!
  • Disliked — attitude of waiters/waitresses and seemed overpriced when consider overall quality of service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Harpenden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

Booked direct with Hotel, we requested a room with seperate shower and king size bed and were offered 2 options one room called a 'desirable' at a rate of £160.00 and a 'comfortable' room at £130.00. We decided to go for the apparently more spacious desirable. When we arrived at 7.30 pm after a very long day driving all the way from Leeds it all went a bit pear shaped!!!

Apparently the room allocated to us was given to somebody else with the same surname and of a different sex! We subsequently discovered the other person hadn't even pre-booked his room. Needless to say the alternative room offered didn't have a seperate shower and surprise surprise they were fully booked and this was apparently the only room available, other than a suite which she advised was very very expensive, with the implication we obviously couldn't afford it!

Expecting a reduction in the room rate we eventually, after a fight, managed to get the room rate reduced to £130.00 which in our opinion was the standard rate for the room we ended up with. The bed was very comfortable but that's about it.

The biggest issue we had was the attitude of the reception staff...I could go on for ages about how unproffesional and unhelpful they were. A simple smile and perhaps an understanding of the english language would be a good starting point. The owners of this hotel should perhaps recruit some english speaking receptionist who understand the meaning of the word POOR!

We had specifically booked at the Hotel to eat at Michael Caines restaurant which I am pleased to say didn't dissapoint. The menu was excellent, so tempting we decided to go for the Tasting Menu accompanied by the recommended wine selection for the dishes. We were served impeccably by Johnny who was very enthusiastic and passionate about his work, and keen to demonstrate his knowledege of the wines. Top marks. Not so for the receptionist on duty when we cheked out in the morning. Upon checking out we were asked by a different receptionist from the previous evenings debacle if we had taken anything from the basket in our room, crisps, water etc. When we confirmed we had not she questioned us...'are you sure, what nothing?' !!!!!

We sincerely hope the management of this hotel read these reviews...there is a steady and constant theme running through them.

Don't go there to stay but enjoy the excellent food...and wine!.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

Very nice, modern hotel but steer clear of the terrible, overpriced restaurant!

My fiance and I stayed at the ABode over a weekend in July. We paid just over £100 for a double room, which reflected its 4 star status. It was a good hotel - clean, modern, tastefully decorated, with nice bathroom facilities and complementary toiletries. Not especially characterful but a great location to explore Canterbury.

Reception staff were efficient and friendly; however the staff in the bar and restaurant were terrible: very unresponsive and inefficient.

The restaurant is expensive (£20 for a main) and has pretentions above its station. We waited almost an hour for our starters - the waitress did not seem to notice we had been sitting there for so long. When the food finally arrived it was very disappointing - so much so that we refused to pay the full bill. Restuarant manager informed us that he has just taken over and is charged with improving it, so it will be interesting to see if it gets any better.

• Liked — Clean and stylish with good facilities
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

My experience at this hotel was great, I had some ideas of what hotels in England are like and for me this once was great very much like boutique hotels in Canada and the U.S. I stayed one night and had a lovely relaxing time. Would recommend to my friends.

• Liked — Location, right on the High Street
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

I liked this hotel very much. I can comment on the accommodation only, as I did not use the restaurant at all. The staff, both at reception and in the bar, were most pleasant and welcoming. The room was lovely. I note the comment from a previous reviewer about the softness of the mattress, and I would concur - perhaps something to be looked at in future, as not everyone likes them that soft. I was a little disappointed in the shower, as I thought it was out of kilter with the rest of the accommodation, i.e. a bit drippy and not very easily adjustable. The overall standard of cleanliness was very high. The location is excellent; could not be better. Will most definitely book again if I find myself in Canterbury again.

• Liked — Friendliness and location
  • Disliked — Slightly disappointing shower
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo