“I Understand the Mixed Reviews”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel was booked for me by a client for two nights. The first room I was given was tiny and Spartan.. The heating/aircon unit was incredibly noisy. I requested another room and paid to upgrade to a higher quality. This room was much larger and the heating unit didn't work- there was a portable space heater in the room. Despite the size there was no place to sit other than a hard desk chair or the bed. The room was also very dark. Small lamps on the bedside tables did not allow reading.

Staff were not friendly. No one acknowledged my existence when I came or left the hotel.

On the good side- the bed was very comfortable. Nice towels, robe and slippers. Good location and quiet.

I suspect the more you pay here, the better the room, but the hotel was not inexpensive and I have certainly paid less for better.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Renaissancewendy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in February. Really nice hotel in a great location in Canterbury. The champagne bar is nice and the restaurant is fab and neither is too pricy considering the standard.

Hotel car park was full but the hotel provides complementary tickets for a pay and display nearby which was an added bones.

Would stay there again.

1  Thank John A
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at Abode in Canterbury for two nights in February and ate at the Michael Caines restaurant both nights, we were lucky enough to get an upgrade from an 'enviable' to 'most enviable' room, (room 101!) and it certainly lived up to its name, really spacious with huge bed, sofa, flat screen tv and giant designer bathroom with free standing bath and walk through shower. There were bath robes, slippers, basket of goodies and flowers and champagne ready in the room when we arrived. The hotel itself is in the High Street which is very convenient, however the youth of canterbury seem to be extremely fond of drinking large amounts of alcohol and weaving their way down the street at 2am SHOUTING in a good natured but LOUD fashion. This did disturb our sleep! This was obviously not the fault of the hotel but worth mentioning. Staff at the hotel were excellent and couldn't do enough, cocktails in the Champage bar were to die for and as for the Michael Caines restaurant - a la carte is expensive as you'd expect but absolutely delicious - and there is a set menu which is more reasonable and still looked really good.

All in all a great stay but I did wish those clubbers had shut up!

1  Thank Suzybythesea
Reviewed 17 February 2014

For what is supposed to be a 'high-end' hotel, I found it rather poor. Room was extremely cold, bathroom even colder. I tried calling the reception desk but the room phone was not operational. So I walked to the desk and let the receptionist know about the temperature and the phone issue. She said she would send somebody up to look at the heating, and that the phones are 'temporarily down'. Nobody came up, it was bed time and I was freezing. It was too cold to sleep. As the phone still wasn't working, I used my US cell phone to call the reception desk and ask for an electric heater. That improved the situation a bit, so I decided against changing hotels. Still, after staying there for 4 nights, the phone never starting working - really frustrating because I couldn't order room service. When I told the staff about this, they seemed indifferent.
Not recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed there as a surprise to my partner for our Anniversary. I simply asked for a nice room and we were welcomed with... balloon, champagne and flowers. Wow!
Really nice room (we asked to change as the proposed one was next to the elevator, we were lucky as there was only one available and it was much nicer).
Very good location in the middle of the town. Perfect for shopping and going out.
Dinner at the restaurant was lovely too and of good value.
Overall a very nice stay and we will likely come again.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to elevator. Room on main street may be noisy on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay at this hotel as we were visiting the Michael Caines restaurant attached. The room was really shabby, with patchy plaster and battered furniture. For £130 I would expect much better quality. This did NOT include breakfast either.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed again, 3rd time in less than a year......wife booked a surprise stay with the help of Adriana for valentines day .(this lady is amazing. She arranged / organised our wedding at the abode ). The room was their normal high standard, well presented clear and tidy. The little hand written welcome card from the general manager was a nice touch. ....visit to the champagne bar for pre dinner cocktails.....We had the tastimg menu, food was well present, waiters and waitress had x-lent knowledge of each dish served, explaining in details about each dish. Breakfast normal high standard I come to expect from Abode. Thank you Abode again for a very good stay, but please look at the shower,......Adriana a big thank you..........for the first time in 20 years my wife out done me on valentines day with the help of you so THANK YOU

Room Tip: To date never had a bad room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple