“Lovely hotel in great location”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have stayed at all the Abode hotels and this is certainly one of the best. The location is great being right in the heart of the medieval city and just a short walk to the cathedral, however accessing the hotel by car is not easy due to the pedestrianisation of the city , the narrow lanes and the hotel's tiny car park. We had to wait 10 minutes to depart due to delivery lorries blocking the lanes.
The hotel though is well appointed and the restaurant is very good with some local twists upon the usual Michael Caines fare.The cannelloni stuffed with Hythe crab was amazing.
Our room was large , clean , and very comfortable. The bathroom too was large with a good shower and all the usual toiletries. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay especially the restaurant staff. The breakfasts were as always in an Abode with everything freshly prepared and cooked to taste. For a short break in Canterbury I would n't go anywhere else.

Room Tip: The second cost tier rooms on a higher floor away from the lifts are best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,114)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed here on business and found the hotel charming. The location is excellent, right on the High Street. The High Street position should not put any potential guests off as there is no excessive noise owing to the excellent soundproofing.
A good gym as well.

I would have given this hotel five stars had it not been for the poor shower. I was on the second floor and my colleague was on the first and we both experienced extremely average showers. Poor water pressure and temperature fluctuations between luke warm and cold. This was the same in the evening and morning.

Otherwise a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here on a Sunday night for our 1st wedding anniversary and I couldn't have asked for more. I wasn't sure which hotel to go for but chose this one as it was central and to be honest the price seemed good for the quality of the hotel. The pictures on the website don't do justice to the rooms, I booked a 'Desirable' room and the room that we had was huuuge! I did put a note on our booking form to say that it was our anniversary, so I'm not sure if they upgraded us, but the room was fab - and I've never seen such a massive bed, and so comfy! The rooms seem to all come with a 'tuck box' which I must say had quite a generous selection of some very tasty bits and bobs.
I was also impressed by the complimentary toiletries which were animal friendly (BUAV approved).
The hotel itself is an interesting mix of modern and original features and we enjoyed a cosy 'night cap' in the bar whilst checking out the old beams and windows. We didn't have dinner here as we'd made plans elsewhere, but breakfast was very nice and the staff all friendly and helpful. There is also a rather cool lounge area upstairs with lots of old style features and furniture.
I was a little intimidated by the upper class feel of the place at first (not being very 'posh' myself) but the vibe of the place is really quite relaxed and friendly. All in all, highly recommended!

Room Tip: We chose the desirable room and if that it was we had (as I'm not sure if we were upgraded) it i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola L
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here again to celebrate my Wife's Birthday (18th March) and we were totally spoilt as usual. We got married at this hotel back in August 2012 and have stayed with them several times since. The staff can never do enough for you, in particular Steve, who makes you feel so welcome. We will back back very soon. Thank you.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I booked a category desirable room, number 203, on the second floor. The room was spacious and nicely appointed BUT it is situated by the lift shaft. The sound proofing in this room is poor and the noise from the lift is unacceptable. Loudly creaking floorboards from the room above added to the noise level. This room has no mini bar which is very disappointing. Bed was marvelous and towels were fluffy. Overall the room was nice. My credit card stopped working and the staff would not accept a DEBIT card. This meant that I had to count out cash for my in room breakfast in my pajamas ! Breakfast was great value, although they tried to charge me for two - this meant I had to answer the door again in my pj s. The bank told me that the problem with the card was the hotel Inputed the incorrect expiry date - not sure that was correct ! My left luggage got taken back to my room by the porter which also gave me cause for anxiety as they could not locate it. Location is superb and sound proofing from OUTSIDE is excellent.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank binky59
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel last week for a night with my husband and son and thought that it was excellent. We had a large triple that was comfortable and plenty big enough for us. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in! It is in a great location for walking around Canterbury, and I will not hesitate to stay at ABode the next time I visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As above. As a lawyer travel all round uk, hotel superb. Thought
Breakfast too expensive even given Michael clines credentials
The room was very
Comfortable and the bed lived up to its hype in the literature

• Stayed: March 2014