“Very nice”

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
“Very nice”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Although the more expensive hotel in Canterbury (not by much) do not let it put you off. A great hotel, service etc as you would expect. Very good and will stay again. Only downside is the parking is extremely limited and the only other option is to park five minutes away using a voucher supplied by the hotel, also the beds although very nice, were too soft for myself.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at the abode on Friday 11th April 2014.
This hotel really is lovely, and would recommend it to anyone what is looking for a town centre location where all the sights really are on your door step.
The cathedral is just a few minutes walk, river boat trips are great fun .
We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel so unable to comment on the hotel restaurant, but the food smelled lovely. We decided to take a wonder down the road and found a fabulous seafood restaurant 'Chapmans 'again would recommend, on leaving the hotel turn left and walk 10-15 mins and you will find it on your left. The hotel has a champagne bar which was perfect for that cheeky cocktail and was very popular in the evening we stayed, and great coffee mid morning.
The hotel room was just right, got the usual toiletries, and if you pay more for your room a basket of goodies is included, as are slippers and robes.
The only down side of my visit was breakfast, I love my first morning cuppa, and unfortunalty mine was cold, but was soon replaced, the breakfast was nice full English, but the menu had other alternatives, I took a sneaky look at what other people had and all looked delicious.Also the parking, we were very fortunate that I did my homework before we left as to finding the hotel car park it's on stour street, and lucky for us the gate was open and a member of staff was on site to point us in the right direction of the hotel . My advice is do your homework if you want to park in the hotel car park, it's small so it's first come first serve, £6.00 24 hours, other car parks are nearby, but I prefered on site parking.
Oh and one more thing you can pay using your debit card, they just take payment on arrival.
All in all we enjoyed our time in Canterbury the staff at the hotel are really friendly and helpful, I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra of a upgraded room if it's a special occasion
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I married at The Abode on 05/04/14. As a gay couple we had faced a few difficulties finding a hotel that were acceptable of our love, from the moment we stepped into The Abode we knew it was the right place.
From the start the event planner Adriana made us feel welcome and we knew before even leaving that we were going to get married there. We used the stationers provided by the hotel as part of our wedding package and again such welcoming, friendly people.
All the way through, Adriana could not do enough to help us. We made arrangements for photos to be taken in the beautiful gardens of Greyfriars which is just across the road.
The night before the wedding, I was upgraded into the Fabolous suite of which we stayed in for our wedding night to and wow, fabolous, does not come close. This is an amazing room overlooking Canterbury Cathedral from its own roof top terrace.
The day of the wedding was just perfect. All of our guests were catered for and the food was stunningly delicious. We had several different dietary requirements, all of which were met without any issue and our guests even sent us thank you cards for meeting their needs so well!!!
The staff in the evening were fantastic.
In short, the staff, the rooms, the food, the venue are fantastic and my Wife and I are happy beyond words that we chose for our special day to be at The Abode.
We will definitely be returning and would recommend this to all.
Thank you to Adriana, Steven and the Abode for making our day perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Spitalfields
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

This is the 3rd time we have stayed in this hotel, It was a surprise for me from my husband, which was fantastic.
We was in a superior room, the bed was ok the pillows where so uncomfortable, think we could of bought better ones from primark,
The tv is placed to low to watch in bed and there was just one chair to sit on with was for the desk, one of the bedside lamp shade had stains on and so did the curtains. The toilet flush was in the place , when u lean to get the loo roll the flush goes off, I also slipped in the bath on the shower mat and got a massive bruise on my leg....
For money it cost we expected a lot more and I can say that this stay was the worst of all!!
Just because it has a famous chefs name of the door doesn't mean it's going to be a Top Hotel!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for your review, its disappointing you did not enjoy your stay. We do have 4 higher category of bedrooms to the room type you booked available which do offer more space with sofas and additional seating, our comfortable and desirable rooms just have a desk chair. I do apologise for the inconsistencies with the housekeeping which will be rectified today.

Regards
Declan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have just spent the weekend at the Abode for my friends Civil Partnership and I have to say, what an amazing time we all had including the bride's. There was no job to small for the staff in the hotel and it was a pleasure to stay here. Special thanks to Adrianna for organising the day, Matt for the heavy carrying and to Steve for making the service, reception and party for run smoothly.

Not only do I highly recommend the staff and hotel for visitors but also all couples who wish to spend their special day here, especially gay couples.

Room Tip: Ask for (if affordable) room 305. All I'm going to say aside of its stunning. Sadly, not my room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I booked the 'indulgence package' and it was excellent.
The room was very comfortable and the food in the restaurant was first class.
All members of staff were very polite, cheerful and extremely helpful.
A great location to visit all the sights of Canterbury.
Thanks to ABode for a memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SWEngland
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have stayed at all the Abode hotels and this is certainly one of the best. The location is great being right in the heart of the medieval city and just a short walk to the cathedral, however accessing the hotel by car is not easy due to the pedestrianisation of the city , the narrow lanes and the hotel's tiny car park. We had to wait 10 minutes to depart due to delivery lorries blocking the lanes.
The hotel though is well appointed and the restaurant is very good with some local twists upon the usual Michael Caines fare.The cannelloni stuffed with Hythe crab was amazing.
Our room was large , clean , and very comfortable. The bathroom too was large with a good shower and all the usual toiletries. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay especially the restaurant staff. The breakfasts were as always in an Abode with everything freshly prepared and cooked to taste. For a short break in Canterbury I would n't go anywhere else.

Room Tip: The second cost tier rooms on a higher floor away from the lifts are best.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple