“Good value and great location - if you can get a deal”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Good value and great location - if you can get a deal”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We stayed at the Abode in Canterbury for two nights over a bank holiday weekend in early May. We had seen mixed reviews about the hotel but my brother who had been there for a wedding reception advised us to try it so we gave it a go. We were able to get a good deal on the stay by shopping around and we ended up with a deal that included a complimentary cooked breakfast. Things got off to a bad start when we tried to navigate to the hotel. Whilst the location of the hotel, slap bang in the center of Canterbury, is fantatstic, trying to drive there is a nightmare. Even with the help of Sat Nav this finding the hotel was no mean feat. On arriving at the hotel car park (eventually and with a few curses along the way) we found it full. A quick dash to the recption was required to get directions to a public car park. I guess this isn't the hotel's fault but they should do as much as they can to provide adequate information to guests about this "issue" to avoid guests having a pretty uncomfrtable experience navigating around the old, narrow, pedestrianised one way streets of Canterbury.

Check in was efficient and unproblematic. The room was small but big enough for what we required. I can see what other reviewers mean about the stained carpets. Cream probably seems like a poor choice for a hotel carpet. The room was clean and well furnished. TV reception was a bit hit and miss and the bathroom was a bit pokey. The air extractor in the bathroom was also exceptionally noisy.

We ate a late meal in the Tavern and this was very enjoyable. The staff were chatty and courteous and we would recommend a meal here. The cooked breakfast the following morning was nothing out of the ordinary. I wouldn't have fancied paying full whack for it but was happy to eat it as part of our hotel package. Had we been paying we would probably headed out for breakfast. On the second morning I had the corned beef hash which was disgusting. It was barely cooked and horribly stodgy.

The champagne bar was very good. A great selection of drinks and attentive service. The drinks are on the expensive side but when were champagne bars ever catering for the cheap end of the market?

Our room was at the back of the hotel and on the Friday night the noise from a nearby pub / club meant that it was very difficult to sleep. The single glazed windows don't help much here, neither did the fact that it wouldn't close proerly due to a broken catch.

The last comment about the room is that although it had "climate control" it was pretty uselesss. We had the air conditioning on the lowest setting and the room was still uncomfortably warm.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here but would not recommend paying full price. Get yourself a deal and this hotel becomes better value.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 9 June 2009
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the ABode. With regards the issues you had finding the hotel: I have amended our postcode under our map & direction information to give the postcode of the car park to assist guests with sat nav. As a standard we issue directional maps and address details to all guests that book direct with the hotel or via our website. I cannot comment on the information you may receive from 3rd party websites.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the Tavern and Champagne bar. I can confirm the comfort cooling in the room has been repaired. I am disappointed to read your comments relating to the corned beef hash which I have discussed with my executive chef.

Remember to look at our website for the best deals available!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards Declan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Perfectly located in the heart of Canterbury - this is a light, stylish hotel.

We arrived at about 8pm - check -in was quick and the room did not disapoint - very clean, huge comfortable bed, sofa, lovely bathroom. Car parking is limited (as you would expect in a large historic city centre) however there is public parking just a few minutes walk away so don't be put off!

The room itself had a whole array of nice 'extra' touches - great filter coffee (no fiddly nescafe sachets!) dvd player, good selection of magazines...fresh flowers in the bathroom and truly comfortable bedding...

The only drawback was the breakfast. It was a Sunday bank holiday so I imagine it must have been busy - however we arrived 45 mins before the end and there was hardly anything on the buffet left....2 tiny pieces of cheese, a solitary bread roll and some pretty unappetising looking cereal...if you could locate a bowl to put it in. I've worked in catering myself so understand things can get pretty busy - however the staff were mostly hanging around looking glum and and didn't seem to appreciate that 1/2 a can of tinned pineapple and a slab of brie does not a continental buffet make. ...I'm afraid it just really took the edge of an otherwise good stay.

Otherwise this is a lovely hotel - would stay again but might pop out for breakfast!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 2 June 2009
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments. I am greatly concerned to read your comments with breakfast I can assure you that this is not indicative of the high standards of food and service we deliver at the hotel. I will discuss your comments with the team. If I can be of any further assistance please contact me directly. Regards Declan
harwich
Reviewed 8 May 2009

It's an old County Coaching Hotel with a facelift, nothing wrong with that but it has a sense of self importance about it not really backed up with quality service. The Car Park issue is an annoyance but is balanced by the Hotel's excellent location. Room was small but OK, however the bathroom (and bath) were tiny, it was problematic turning round in it. The room was warm yet it was impossible to open the window as the catch was broken and the windows had been nailed shut !. Service in the Champagne Bar was slow however The Tavern food was very nice.

1 Thank peterharwich
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 19 May 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment I am disappointed to read the comments relating to slow service which I will share with my champagne bar manager. With regards the bedroom temperature all our rooms are fitted with comfort cooling to allow the guest to set their desired temperature. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal in the Old Brewery Tavern. Regards Declan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 May 2009

The ABode is situated in the centre of Canterbury, ideal for exploring the sights of the city. However we found it initially difficult to find a nearby long stay car park and had to drag our cases through the busy shopping centre to the hotel.
I already considered the hotel pretty overpriced (145GBP per night, not including breakfast), and this was further confirmed on entering our second floor, which was large enough but had a strong musty/damp smell - we reported this to reception and presumably something was sprayed in the room and the smell temporarily disappeared. The major negative about the hotel was the lack of hot water - we complained to reception and were told they were attempting to fix it, although they told us there did not appear to be a problem with the boiler (we heard other guests speaking about the same problem). We did not have much choice since we left it late to book our Canterbury hotel, I wish I had booked elsewhere earlier!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent stay, we did indeed experience a boiler problem that weekend. Please accept my apologies that you were not given the correct information at reception. Our contractors could not resolve the problem until new parts for the boilers were received which regrettably could not be sourced over the weekend. Thank you for your comments relating to the bedroom which I have resolved. We do have a small car park at the hotel should that be full you can check your bags in at reception prior to parking in the nearby 24 hr car park. If I can be of any further assistance please contact me directly at the hotel. Regards Declan
Belfast
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I stay in hotels all over the country for work and this has easily been my WORST experience. I arrived to find no car parking spaces so had to pay for parking. Fine, ok I thought. These things happen. My first impressions were, nice modern hotel, until I got upstairs where clearly this is an old crumbling hotel which has been given a poor modern veneer. I arrived late so went straight to bed... All I could hear was a door sliding noise followed by a whizzing noise. I investigated and it was the lift, which I could hear ALL night, no matter what floor the lift was stopped at. I could hear the TV next door, I could hear every footstep above me and every word of people in the corridor. As I say, it's an old delapadated Hotel with a splash of modern decor. Due to the noise I didnt sleep a wink. I also could hear everything on the street (old single glazing windows). Then sunrise was met with 100's of noisey pigeons on my window sill.
I got up at 6am with breakfast ordered for 7am. After two phone calls I finally received my breakfast at 8.10am. No apology, not a word. The breakfast itself was a joke... one slice of bacon in a dry white role. Laughable!
I then take a shower and no hot water... it eventually came on after approx 6 mins.
My room was also awful. An old hotel room with TINY ensuite. The carpet looked as if it was NEVER cleaned, the TV had several stations not working and the iron didnt work. By this stage I was laughing to myself (either that or cry eh?). It just felt like Fawlty Towers on speed. To think I paid £120 per night for this absolute joke!!
I did complain and said that I was too busy to change hotel but that I wanted to move room due to the appalling noise. They said they had none available. I anjoyed another sleepless night. Abode Canterbury - THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED BY A MILE!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank djanto1
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Stayed in this hotel as part of a package deal for my Mums 50th. For £165 we got a desirable room, bottle of champagne in room, 2 course meal and bottle wine in The Old Brewery Tavern, full English breakfast and massage treatment each. I don't think a written review will do this justice. It was AMAZING! Room was brilliant - beds were VERY comfy. Staff were very friendly and professional. Food was great. Location fab! I would certainly stay in this hotel again and I would like to try out the other Abode hotels too!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
southampton
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Stayed here for 1 night whilst attending a family gathering at a nearby restaurant. Arrived just after 2 pm and had great difficulty finding the hotel let alone the car park, which was already full and had we been lucky enough to find a space would have had to pay for! Leaving the car outside on a yellow line had to dump the luggage in reception whilst then driving the car to a public car park and paying £7.50 for an overnight stay which was not what I would have expected to. Then had to walk back to hotel about half mile whilst my wife checked in.

Staff were very helpful and polite and had no problems with them however the room, for £145.00 per night, was expensive considering no breakfast was included and although modern in style looked like it needed some attention, carpets were deeply stained.

We had a light snack and a drink in the bar which was fine and in the morning opted for a continental breakfast but for £10.50 each was rather expensive.

For a one night stay it was o.k. but not brilliant considering the overall cost and the parking issues would I stay there again.........?

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple