“Great location, quite good hotel, excellent value” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
Ontario
“Great location, quite good hotel, excellent value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

Hotel location is incredible. We loved Canterbury, and the hotel and its location are a good part of the reason. The hotel isn't as posh as the restaurant. Nor as clean; the carpet in our room (a 'desirable') was badly stained. Even so, we would gladly return. Very quiet. Excellent value. We tried one supper at pub, one breakfast at hotel. For breakfast, we preferred Boho's, which is nearly next door. Wish we could breakfast there every day. For a quiet moment, ask for directions to Greyfriar's Garden. Beautiful spot. We loved Canterbury area and plan to return, especially to wander around nearby villages. Loved garden at Gudnestone. We didn't have opportunity to eat at pub in the village there but would definitely like to.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 26 October 2009
Thank you for your review. Regarding the carpets we are planning to change the carpets in the bedrooms in the first quarter of next year. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Best regards Declan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

I had read many of the reviews for this hotel and was somewhat apprehensive about staying there. It's possible that people who have less than ideal experiences may post more, but it's incomprehensible to me that they are referring to the same facility I experienced. The location was perfect, the staff could not have been more warm, friendly or helpful and the room was lovely. It was spotless, including the carpet, and while the bathroom was small, it was more than adequate. The air conditioning worked well and I have no complaints about the quality of the bed or room amenities. Although the full Engish breakfast was included in my room rate, I chose to eat from the buffet. I enjoyed the fresh rolls, meats, cheese and the fruit compote. Prices in the restaurant were a bit more than I wished to pay, so walked a very short distance to the Old Weavers House and loved it. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We do have an informal dining offer in our Old Brewery Tavern which you may want to try should you return to Canterbury. It champions local suppliers and real Kentish Ale! Best regards Declan
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel to attend our daughter's graduation from university, and we mistakenly booked one room, when we needed 2. Being graduation week, the city was booked solid, and they had no other rooms. The staff at Abode jumped through hoops to make space for us, rearranging furniture from another room to give us extra sleeping space. They even brought glasses of champagne to our room to start off the graduate's celebration, a very nice touch, considering how busy they all were with a packed hotel.
The room itself was really nice, I'm not sure which class it was, but the bed was comfortable, and we had plenty of space for four adults to prepare for the day.
I thought the staff here did a marvelous job of accomodating us under quite a bit of pressure, and when the mistake was ours and not theirs, they made it right for us. I highly recommend this hotel. :-)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments relating to the staff. I will share them with the team. I am glad you enjoyed the champagne. Best regards Declan.
Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

Not only cozy and charming, very well located as well, the best street of the city
Nice & good sized roms, good breakfast, very helpful staff.
Worth.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 24 October 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards Declan
colchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

upon arrival the front of house receptionist was friendly, but for nearly £200 per night i at least expected my bags to be taken to the room. when entering the room i quickly realised our room, which was an "enviable junior suite" was nothing more than a basic room with en suite bath and wc, i checked the floor plan of the hotel and found our room was one of the smallest, nothing about it said "suite". but not prone to moaning we unpacked and noticed a wicker bowl with a range of 7-8 items such as crisps at 85p per bag (payable when leaving), what a cheap and nasty effect this gave an already overpriced room?
air conditioning was useless,and the secondary double glazing only allowed for half the window to be open to catch any breeze,
complimentary towelling robes were not used as they were as stiff as a board, complimentary slippers never materialised.and we expected a rather upmarket hip type bath "open plan" as in the adverts but instead got a bulk standard premier inn £29 per night type room , cant fault the location, on a lighter note i left the do not disturb sign on the outside of the door, so that my wife who has been very poorly could try and lay in, but then got a phone call from the house staff asking when they could do the room ? what a pointless exercise that was. champagne bar very nice, but we ate out as we thought the prices were stupidly expensive !! if i was staying longer i would have without doubt got this room changed to a bigger one ( i actually believe that this was not actually an enviable suite) i was going to take the top floor garden suite (nearly £400 per night) but it was taken at the time of booking, very pleased i didnt as i dont think this hotel justifies the expensive prices of its rooms. cant fault the staff but i had a word with them about the room and they already knew as it was not the first time they had heard the comments i gave,

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank malwoodColchester
Dorset England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed at the Abode for 2 nights from 23rd June. We were not told when booking that there were different grades of rooms so we booked a basic 'Comfortable' This was very basic for a 4 star hotel not as good as Premier Inn & the carpet was filthy, soiled all over with black marks & coffee stains & there was only one chair.. Storage facilities were poor & the safe was bolted to the floor which meant you had to kneel down. There was nowhere to put your own toiletries in the bathroom which was small.
We too were asked for our pin number for preauthorisation but not told how much for. When we paid the bill we had been charged for a better room & £400 had been preauthorised which we complained about & were told this was standard practice & it should not show on our account. Don't bother with breakfast. We went in just before 9.00am. They had run out of croissants & cold meats. When we asked we were told they would ask the chef. We were told there wasn't anymore ham. I asked for 2 bananas. We were brought the " chef''s last one"! We walked out. We had planned to dine there that night but cancelled following this experience. The reception staff were pleasant & helpful & the parking reasonablly priced at £5 per night but very few spaces. We would not return.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne039
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 25 August 2009
Thank you for your review. I am pleased I had the opportunity to discuss your stay with you prior to your departure.
With regards the carpet as discussed the carpets are not filthy, the carpet within your room is stained. I have the carpets cleaned on a regular basis but regrettably the stain within your bedroom cannot be removed. We are planning to change our bedroom carpets very shortly.

As we discussed it is our practice to preauthorise your credit card on check in for the amount of the accommodation plus an additional charge for any extras you may charge to your room. I apologise for the £20 your where overcharged. I am disappointed to read your comments relating to breakfast that morning breakfast had been exceptionally busy when you arrived we were in the process of replenishing the breakfast buffet this should have been explained to you and I apologise that this did not occur. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards Declan
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

We stayed here last night as we had a concert to attend at nearby Kings School. The hotel is conveniently located for the school and for all the historic areas of Canterbury and is adequate for a short stay.

We had an 'Enviable' category room which is one of the best rooms. It was comfortable enough and made an attempt at looking stylish but the overall effect looked a bit cheap. It had terrible looking double glazing and a view over a roof into another room.

The main feature of the room was a large bathroom area with the sink and a freestanding bath on a raised area off the bedroom with a toilet and shower room in a separate room. A flaw in design meant that the toilet light could not be turned on without turning on the lights in the rest of the bathroom so I was woken up in the night when my husband had to turn on all the lights just to use the toilet.

My main issue with this hotel was the service and the lack of interest from the staff. The hotel advertises itself as having a car park which is a bonus given there is limited car parking in Canterbury. Despite indicating in my booking that I would require a car parking space, when I telephoned from the car a few minutes before arrival to check where the car park was I was told it was full and directed to a public car park some distance away. No apology was offered. Valet parking was not available nor was there anywhere to drop of the bags before parking the car.

The front desk staff were not particularly welcoming (it was too much trouble for them even to smile) and did not create a good first impression. When I handed over my credit card at check-in, I was asked to enter my PIN number into the machine without any indication as to the amount I was being asked to authorise. I was assured that I was pre-authorising £235 (the room rate of £185 plus £50 for 'extras') but there was nothing that showed this. When I checked out and paid my bill in full I asked for the pre-authorisation slip back as the hotel had no further need for this. This was only handed over after a lengthy debate.

I had to give up waiting for the directions that I asked for as the person dealing with my request turned away to help several other guests in the middle of serving me.

Breakfast was fine for £6 per head for a full English but was nothing special.

In summary, this hotel is absolutely fine for visting the historic city of Canterbury (where there is limited good quality accomodation) but don't expect too much. In my opinion it is a good 3* rather than a 4* hotel. At £185 per night (so nearly London prices) they should work on the service / front of house aspects.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this review, 25 July 2009
Thank you for your recent review. With regards the car park, as we only have11 car parking spaces we are unable to reserve any spaces for our guests in advance, we do inform our guests this when booking but are unable to advise guests should they book via an agent or 3rd party website. When the car park is full our concierge does offer to take guests luggage prior to the guests parking at rosemary lane car park.

I am disappointed with your comments relating to reception and can assure you this is not indicative of the very high standards of hospitality we consistently deliver at the front desk. We do preauthorise all credit cards prior to check in and explain to the guest the charge as the card is being authorised. I apologise that the slip was not returned quickly when requested. If I can be of any further assistance please contact me at the hotel. Regards Declan