“Don't pay the rack rate!”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We got a deal for the two nights we stayed at the ABode in Canterbury: £99 per night for the room, full breakfast and an evening meal with a bottle of wine. This means that we paid around £50 for the room, while the rack rate was £150. All I can say, it’s not worth £150, but it’s OK for £50. Other reviewers mentioned the stained carpet – it’s still there, and it could have done with a more thorough vacuuming. Our clean drinking glass still had the lipstick on the rim from the previous guest. I agree with other reviewers that you get a shock when the loo flushes as you reach for the paper, that there is not enough storage space for clothes, nowhere to put one’s own washing things and it would be nice to have hair conditioner as well as shampoo, or at least a conditioning shampoo. The basket of snacks that you have to pay for had crisps that were on their ‘best before’ date that day! Our room had a double bed, a TV on the wall at the end of the room, and a desk and chair in the narrow passage to the bathroom – a trip to the bathroom means walking sideways if your partner is sitting at the desk. So we had either the floor, one hard chair or the end of the bed to sit on. We asked at reception for another chair, and were told “You are in a comfortABle room.” We had to laugh. The other rooms are called ‘DesirABle’ and ‘EnviABle’ – you following the AB thing? The receptionists were charming and arranged for an armchair for us. Many thanks. The staff were all helpful and pleasant. At the Tavern next door they had run out of most of the food on our first evening but a waiter called Stephen was entertaining and charming and made sure that we were properly fed. After dinner on the second evening, we discovered that the coffee and milk in our room had not been replenished so we had to phone for more. Breakfast was OK but quite random. The first morning, we both had the Full English but my husband had black pudding and tomato with his and I didn’t with mine! The second morning his Full English was half the size of the previous day’s and didn’t have everything the menu said he should have had and this time just half a mushroom! My Eggs Benedict didn’t have the spinach that the menu promised! As I said in my review of the Hilton Hotel in Prague, I wonder if guests are treated like poor relations if they have bought a special deal. If this is the case, that’s crazy when there is the power of Trip Advisor.
So all in all, if we had paid full price for this stay we would have thought this was ABominABle! But we didn’t and that’s my recommendation – don’t pay the rack rate or you will be very disappointed. We didn’t and it was fine.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2010

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you found our winter warmer package to be value for money. You mentioned in your review that your room had stained carpets we are changing the carpets in late March.

I am sorry for the inconsistency with the breakfast offering which I have discussed with the team.

Our rates do change in accordance with demand. We offer a best available rate and not a rack rate system. I would always recommend you contact the hotel or check our website to be guaranteed the best price or package available.

Reviewed 13 December 2009

Went to Canterbury for a pre Christmas break with my boyfriend and the hotel was gorgeous, Rooms were modern, clean and comfortable, the staff were wonderful, couldnt be more helpful and cheery. The restaurant is amazing, we were so well fed, breakfast is a real treat, luxurious and loads of choice. My only complaint is that it was rather noisy, we could hear the people in the next room talking to each other and hear their television clearly and they weren't particularly loud.

My advice to anyone considering going there is to ask when booking, for a quieter room or dont go there if you're looking for a peaceful retreat. this is the only complaint everything else i can highly recommend. Maybe we were unfortunate? it was room 126, maybe thats just a noisy room? I hope so but thought it worth a mention.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay.
Best wishes Declan

Reviewed 7 December 2009

We travelled from Belgium to do a little Christmas shopping in Canterbury and had an overnight stay in this hotel. I'm surprised by some of the other reviews as we felt this little hotel was excellent. We had a beautiful room, wooden floors and the biggest bed I've ever slept in and absolutely no noise from the street, if we kept the windows closed (despite some late-night Christmas revellers). The staff were extremely friendly and went the extra mile to be helpful at all times. The food in the restaurant was also excellent. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, General manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2010

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2009

We booked 2 rooms for a weekend at the Abode in Canterbury which markets itself as a 'luxury 4 star hotel'. A 'luxury hotel' it definitely wasn't. We paid £160/night for a 'Desirable' room so obviously expected to have at least the basic comforts. There only lukewarm in the shower and without the cold tap the water pressure was insufficient. The room was warm, however the bathroom was absolutely freezing (probably made worse on a cold november's day), bad carpet stains and worse of all creaky floorboards everywhere...not a big deal in normal hotels but the sound proof was such that we were constantly woken up by the noises from the other guests staying above us and guests walking down the hall.
We also overheard another couple ahead of us complaining about the same issues on checkout! We were offered a discount by the receptionist for our next stay at Abode, however frankly we would prefer to pay cheaper rates for a local BnB...at least you get what you pay for.
If you really must stay here, get a 'Comfortable' room instead of a 'Desirable' room. It will cost you £60 less and is almost identical in size (in fact, some of the cheaper rooms looked bigger than ours on the hotel floorplan).
If it wasn't for the beautiful sites of Canterbury the weekend would have been truely spoilt by our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2010

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay. That weekend we did experience a problem with the pressure within the hot water system and I apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused.

We are planning to replace the carpets over the next 4-6 weeks.

I am disappointed that you do not wish to stay at the ABode again, should you visit our lovely city in the future please contact me directly I would be delighted to personally arrange your accommodation requirements within the hotel.

Reviewed 30 November 2009

I stayed here for two nights on business. It's a very clean, accommodating hotel, with
good service in a superb location in Canterbury's city centre.

I was less pleased with the quality of the cocktail I got from the posh bar but maybe I got them on a bad night (though looking through the other reviews it looks like they need to brush up on their cocktail-making!)

Since I didn't stay on my own dime I don't know whether it's good value but I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive comments.

I will discuss your comments with my champagne bar manager, I apologise for the quality of the cocktail you were served.

Reviewed 15 November 2009

The restaurant is excellent. We had a £25 set menu and it was excellent value for money. I enjoyed my drink beforehand in the bar although my partner was disappointed with her Pernod and Water which was served with warm water and a warm glass. Odd.

Our room was ok. On the downside, it was a little small, and faced the high street. As a result, we could hear late night revellers early on Sunday morning. On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and the bathroom was good.

The other issue was that the hotel car park isn't big enough for all residents to park their cars. So get to the hotel early!

Service was always good. Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments. I agree with your comments relating to the price, as we feel it is extremely important to offer value for money and I am delighted you enjoyed your dinner.

Reviewed 10 November 2009

I always check trip advisor before I book and was so impressed with the reviews and the web site of the hotel ,

I decided to book even though it was over £145.00 a night, I wanted to treat my husband who had been away. I was very disappointed .

On arrival there was 1 girl on check in which meant it took 20 minutes to check in. We were then told the car park was full. We were the given a scrappy piece of paper with directions to the nearest car park - which turned out to be a 10 minute walk away. Fortunately we left our bags at the hotel so didnt have to lug them ! We were staying 2 nights which meant on top of paying our £145 for the room, we then had to pay £18 for parking.

Despite the room being called the "Desirable Room", I can only describe it as being slightly posher than a Premier Travel Inn. There was no heating in the bathroom, which meant that after having a shower on Friday evening on arrival, the towels were still wet the next morning, when we wanted a morning shower.

The only heating in the room was a air conditioning type heater which didn't give off much heat.

We waited over 15 minutes for breakfast the next morning, which on arrival was luke warm and mediocre.

Following our complaint about the room and the breakfast we were given the breakfast free of charge. However they could not change our room as the hotel was fully booked.
They offered us a reduction on our next visit but we declined this offer as we have no intention of every returning.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your weekend.

At the desk we do provide copies of a map to assist our guests with direction to the local car park situated at the top of Stour street approx 300m from the hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with breakfast.

I am disappointed that you have decided not to return, should you change your mind please contact me directly.

Regards