ABode Canterbury
US$103
Canterbury Hotel(Canterbury)
US$134
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$107
The Falstaff in Canterbury(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$116
The Victoria Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$142
Cathedral Gate Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$106
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$105
Priceline
Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel(Canterbury)(Great Value!)
US$101
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
2,187 results
All reviewschampagne barhigh streetenviable roomdesirable roomtuck boxcar parklovely hotelstandard roomcentral locationsat navfront of houseexcellent locationone night staycentre of towneggs benedictlovely rooma lovely stay
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We booked this hotel as we had seen it on previous visits to the City. We booked the "hot summer nights" deal which was excellent value for a "4 Star" hotel
We arrived to very cheerful helpful staff, who prior to our visit telephoned us a home and booked a table at the Tavern (an evening meal was included in the price) and reserved a parking space for my husband who holds a blue badge, which I thought was a great service,
The hotel is very clean and welcoming and does portray its 4 star on arrival.
On opening the door to our room we were sadly disappointed to have a long and narrowish shaped room that was divided into three sections. The bedroom area clearly should never have had a double bed in it..If you were on the "large " side you would have to turn sideways to get to the top of the bed due to close proximity of the walls to the bed. There was plenty of space in the bedroom between the bed and a 'dressing area' where a small table and a couple of chairs could have been but were sadly missing. The small square dressing area contained a desk and chair along with a wardrobe. The wardrobe contained an iron, ironing board and a safe which was a nice touch. The tea/coffee tray was in the wardrobe but I had to put it on the desk as there was no where else to locate it, but when you were using the desk the tray had to be returned to the wardrobe.
A glass shower screen covered about a third of the bath and this made it very awkward to operate the bath taps and meant that you had to get into the bath to turn the shower taps on!! The bathroom was overall very small which made things inaccessible.
Breakfast was included in the price which again was a bonus, but on arrival to the restaurant staff were very quick in seating you and after ordering coffee and toast we waited 15 minutes before asking the waitress again for it. I ordered the eggs benedict which is a favourite of mine but found it very bland and didn't eat it. We were asked if more toast was wanted we said yes but again waited so long for it that we finally left the restaurant before it arrived. The next day I ordered a sausage baguette and received a baguette cut in half with ONE sausage split between the two halves.
We ate at the Tavern on the 2nd night, we were greeted again by welcoming cheerful staff. Our starters of salmon fish-cake and chicken parfait was excellent. Unfortunately the main meal, codling and pasta was awful. The staff were very apologetic and asked for us to choose something else. We refused and just finished with our desserts.
We visited the champagne lounge on returning to the hotel, I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't what was there. I found there was no atmosphere in the place and the decor so basic, for a "champagne lounge". Maybe its me and I have been spoilt in the previous 4 star hotels I have stayed in. The experience the hotel spoke about in the lounge just didn't happen. I would have expected a couple of flowers on each table, maybe some background music, but no, it didn't appeal.

Positively, great location, very welcoming staff. If I returned to the hotel I would most certainly have to upgrade the room. Breakfast should be included at normal room rates. Eat out!!

We have stayed previously in the Cathedral Lodge. The ground floor isn't a nice as the Abode but the bedroom was much better value for money and a great view of the Cathedral is a bonus, albeit a 3 star.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2010

Thank you for your review and kind comments relating to the team.

Please accept my apologies for the poor service at breakfast, I will of course discuss your feedback with the restaurant manager and look into why there was a delay in receiving your breakfast. I am sorry you did not enjoy the quality of the food.

I am very sorry that the main course of your dinner was poor, again I can assure you this will be discussed with the executive chef. This is not indicative of the very high standards of food we are proud of at the Old Brewery Tavern.

The Champagne bar is very popular within the hotel and is a modern contemporary bar, its disappointing that you did not enjoy the space.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

Having read the mixed reviews, I was more than slightly apprehensive, especially about noise. I need not have worried. Everything was great: lovely big quiet room (as requested) with extra beds for our kids, nice bathroom, fabulous breakfasts and professional service. Location in central Canterbury was ideal, and there was plenty of parking space. Great dinner in the restaurant. I would love to return, although sadly may have to opt for the cheaper Premier Inn (when it's finished) next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

Thank you for your positive review, I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We used this site to look up the hotel, but looking at the Abode website they had lots of offers, we were interested in the £99, including bed, breakfast and eveing meal, but as normaly nothing the weekend we went. We called the hotel to check availability and they said that they had a double left, we asked about the offers and they said as the offer wasnt available that weekend they would give us a complimentary breakfast, i guess its always worth asking.

The hotel room was large and clean, even if the veiws were just the roof tops. The breakfast was great and really set us up for the day. The hotel is right in the town centre, so parked the car up in the hotel car park and walked everywhere.

The only downside was the hotel car park was rather small, the other car park they sugested was some walk away, no CCTV and wasnt locked at night. So i would check ahead to ensure you can get a space and £5 parking wasnt to bad for that area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
CanterburyAB, Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2010

Thank you for your comments I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We have limited car parking at the hotel however we have recently rented 10 additional spaces on private land opposite the hotel which will greatly help with the demand for car parking spaces.

Reviewed 16 June 2010

Just got back from an overnight trip to Canterbury to collect my daughter and all her gear as Uni is over for another year. Stayed at abode again as previously and the standard remains high. Good food, service and room. Not much else to say really.The bar is fun and does a great cocktail list. No problems at all.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

I wanted to write to counter some of the other reviews on here to say what a thoroughly pleasant stay my partner and I had at at the abode Canterbury 12-13 June 2010. From the cheerful dark haired lady at reception who checked us in to the lovely waiting staff in the restaurant. We have stayed here twice before and enjoyed each stay.

On this occasion we were lucky enough to be upgraded to room 201- a junior suite which had stripped wooden floors, a bathroom to die for off of the main bedroom, and a huge expansive bed that was just so sumptuous and comfortable that we didnt want to leave on Sunday!

We had booked an indulgent package which meant there was a bouquet in the room with some petits fours and we had champagne before our three course meal in the Michael Caines restaurant. The food was great- very good quality and the service just right. My dessert which was a fun spin on Pimms with a mint bavarois, pimms jelly, strawberry sorbet and fruits was just absolutely divine!

The following day we had a great breakfast- plenty of choice and delicious local kent sausages. The location is perfect for exploring Canterbury and the bar downstairs has some lovely cocktail offerings and a great afternoon tea. Not sure why other reviewers are nitpicking about room service sandwiches costing £6.99- thats about what you would pay for a kitkat in a central London hotel- I thought the prices were very fair!

Will definitely go back and recommend it too- there are no other hotels right in the middle of Canterbury and although there is limited parking at the hotel, if you are lucky enough to get a spot it means no hassle driving in and out of the city centre- always a bonus.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gslade

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted that you had such a positive stay and that you enjoyed the upgrade to one of our enviable rooms.