“a little gem”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The warren of interesting rooms,alcoves and conservatories and warm low ceiling bar area is most attractive and ideal for an autumn day.The young bar staff ,especially Constance ,are deployed to watch all the areas most effectively.The set lunch is wonderful value and offers an imaginative choice of all three courses.The cooking is capable and the portions generous.Surprising mix of patrons from locals to chance visitors add lively atmosphere without the loss of privacy.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We have been here once or twice to eat before the theatre (the Marlowe is just up the road). It's perfectly OK pub food but nothing special. This time I stood by the bar for some time waiting for one of the bar staff to notice me because I had a simple question - did we have to eat two courses (for which there is a price) or could we just have one course. It may have been my age (getting on for 70) or it may have been my sex (female) but neither of the young men behind the bar was in the slightest bit interested in serving me and at one point had a longish conversation between themselves. I got very fed up and walked out. Not recommended.

1  Thank Clare962
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I came here for Sunday lunch and it was revolting. It tasted like it had been cooked at 9am and heated up; the food was lukewarm. There were some thinly sliced mixed vegetables - I couldn't identify them and some warm mash - it could have been potato or it could have been potato with swede - I couldn't tell. There were roast potatoes as big as my fist - why not cut them smaller? The only acceptable part of it was the Yorkshire pudding. Most of my dinner went home with me for the dog. I complained to the waitress who gave a free dessert but with hindsight I should have refused to pay for the roast meal. My dog liked it - but she is undiscerning.

1  Thank Julia484
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

We stopped by on route to Dover because site said dog friendly. Seperate area for dogs with great people watching views. Had a sandwich which was lovely but cheesy chips were on the expensive side with no cheese under the top few chips. There was an issue with the card machine which the manager quickly resolved. Only real down side was that the only table we could sit on which wasn't directly in front of toilet was quite low and made it difficult to sit comfortably at as my legs were touching table,otherwise we could of sat there all day.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We went there mid week and found the place rather empty. The decor was very attractive to the eye, the general spaces very clean and the staff absolutely brilliant and doing a wonderful job to provide the highest levels of service. The food was average. - slightly greasy although the chips (French fries) were delicious. The alcohol - wine and beer - was very expensive and casts a shadow over the entire pub. Were they to reduce the price they charge, which was much higher than local pubs surrounding them, they would increase their business.