“Great little pub good food good service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #126 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Australia
“Great little pub good food good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Visited this nice pub beside the river just at the edge of the town centre, very short walk, thus not crazy busy. Very good service, very friendly - happy to welcome our dog too ( about time - never a problem in Europe, why is it such an issue in the UK?)

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Delicious meal and friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family and I had a lovely meal at The Millers Arms in January. Having called another restaurant to be told they had only one very boring vegetarian meal, I called The Millers and they were very polite and friendly and accommodating. We had a really lovely meal with about 5 vegetarian options and enjoyed ourselves in the relaxing atmosphere. The staff were friendly and polite and we will definitely be returning!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“very average Sunday roast”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

we live local and went in for sunday roast we ordered the roast beef. we sat reading the papers while we waited. our roast arrived...... over cooked beef, cold veg in the middle! asked for it to be reheated and it came back still cold, the Yorkshire pudding was stale and came filled with green cress! only two roast potatoes, not the best value for £10.95. Staff still seemed asleep. we were forgotten after that and offered no pudding etc so went else where for it. Off to the parrot down the road next sunday.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Saved By Pleasant Staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

It has been a few years since I ate at The Millers. It used to be fairly good. It has recently been taken over by a local brewery (Shepherd Neame). Unable to get a table in The Dolphin, just along the road (an excellent pub and restaurant and therefore always busy) my wife and I decided to give The Millers Arms a try. It was a Friday night so we felt lucky to find a table at 8:30pm, however this was in a glass roofed area (conservatory) and water dripped onto us. I didn't fancy the idea of it dripping into my food, so seeing there were tables empty but where nearby groups had 'parked' their coats, I went and asked them if we could sit there. It is too much to hope in such a place that a member of staff would keep control of this kind of selfishness / thoughtlessness.

I ordered the daily special - a fish pie with a cheddar mash, salad garnish and sourdough bread. When it arrived I felt disappointed. It looked insipid with a few tired lettuce leaves and a slice of dry bread. The pie was some nice chunks of salmon and cream in a small oval dish, topped with mashed potato. No sign of any cheddar. I sampled it. The salmon tasted of salmon but the topping was bland. No flavour at all - no cheesiness and not even any salt or pepper. I tried to grind some pepper onto it but it still felt disappointing.

Reading the menu again, I pointed out to a passing member of staff how tasteless it was and totally lacking in 'cheddar'. He said it was his first night but he'd check. He never returned. After ten minutes wait and a couple more desperate mouthfuls I felt annoyed and went to the bar. I spoke to a young woman. I was polite and explained my problem. She was very helpful but said the kitchen staff had gone. I looked like I wasn't going away so she offered to put some cheese on it herself. I thanked her profusely. She brought it over with a big personal apology. I told her I never thought it was her fault. She was lovely. She and another young man came over twice to check if I was okay with everything now. I felt happy. The pie tasted much better and they'd given me some butter for the bread plus a second slice.

As I say, without the lovely staff I would have given this place two stars at best. It was full of drunk screeching uni students too but I'm used to that in Canterbury pubs on a Friday night. Lunchtimes might be better but it will be a while before I go back unless desperate. Thank you to the lovely two staff who dealt with me though. Frankly you deserve to be working somewhere better.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gent, België
“Good food and drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Very nice staff, they let us taste the ales so we could make a choice.
The food is very nice and not expensive. Really nice cider.

• Visited January 2014