“even better second time around”

Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Home management and myself spent our anniversary at the Ebury (Friday night until Sunday morning) and the whole experience was excellent, from the friendly welcome on the Friday until we checked out on the Sunday morning. The Friday evening meal was served well and tasted as good as it looked. There was a varied menu ensuring meat lovers, fish lovers and veggies were catered for and the wine list offered a good choice of fine wines. The addition of a bar has made the pre dinner drink experience a relaxing and mellow one and offers a few minutes of relaxation before going into dinner. The spa and pool are well worth a visit and are very relaxing. The room itself was clean and spacious and despite being at the front of the hotel we were not aware of any excessive road noise and slept well. The hotel is a ten minute stroll from Canterbury town centre and we enjoyed the following day ambling round the town with home management indulging in some retail therapy. Saturday evening did not disappoint and we had another excellent meal followed on Sunday morning by a very decent breakfast menu to see us on our way.
This is our second visit to this hotel, the last being several years ago, and it was good then but even better now. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are a bit quieter and overlook the garden
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed for one night, with friends and family - a double, a twin and a cottage for four. We were there for funeral, and had a tea party at the Ebury for 25 people, which excellent - generous, high quality, simple finger buffet, with plenty of tea, coffee, juices and water. The rooms were warm, clean, and comfortable, and the breakfast was cooked by order, and was very high quality. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The cottage was self contained in the grounds and was ideal for Mum, dad & two boys. Pool was warm and clean. Can thoroughly recommend the Ebury. Good location, and an easy trip into Canterbury. Very good car parking - a real bonus for Canterbury.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Cantebury is a great little town, well worth visiting. The hotel was about 10 minutes from the centre which made popping in and out easy and seeing all the sights effortless. He staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was very big considering the low prices. Would happily reccomend the ebury to others visiting Canterbury.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Ebury is a well run friendly hotel ideally located a short walk from the city centre. It appears to be two old houses converted into one hotel which gives the place character. The reception in in the old entrance hall with a magnificent staircase leading up to the bedrooms. Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the gardens, which was a nice vista, and would be even nicer once the flowers are in bloom.

My wife and I had opted to dine in the restaurant for our two night stay. Our rate included the 3 course evening meal for only £20/couple/night. This was unbelievable value and we would thoroughly recommend this option. The quality of the cooking was very high, and there was a varied choice for each course. The breakfasts were also to a very high standard. Sometimes hotels try to pretend they are a higher standard than they really are but the Ebury lived up to all our expectations. As an example, the tomato ketchup we requested at breakfast was presented in a separate dish with a spoon - you would be surprised how often a supposedly up market hotel will give you either a bottle or sachets! It makes the difference and shows they are aware of small details!

The bar was small but ideal for a pre-dinner drink, with door straight into the garden with its "Narnia lamppost" - too cold in February but I would suggest ideal on a pleasant summers evening as an extension to the bar.

Thoroughly enjoyable weekend made better by an excellent hotel as a base.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WestHam4Ever
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is handy to the town centre - only about 10 minutes walk. The grounds are nice and the pool is good. My room was on the quiet side of the building but was rather dark. The bathroom was very good. Internet access was free but was mostly available later in the day - morning meant difficulty with access. My bed was small for a double and the pillows were lumpy. Breakfast was very good. Dinner was fixed price for two or three courses - I would rather pay by the course. Nonetheless the food was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cheerfulchick
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I recently stayed here for 1 night with my mother. First impressions were good, large car park. Nice cosy fire in the reception area. The receptionist wasnt over friendly (but was on again when we checked out and was much chattier then). The room was huge and nicely decorated, very clean. The bathroom was lovely, fresh and clean with ample towels and toiletries. My only concern was the room was at the front of hotel, as having read reviews on here, knew they could be noisy, my mum is recovering from cancer and doesnt sleep well. I asked the man on reception about moving and although he did say a smaller room at the back would be available later, I felt abit of a nuisance so I said we would leave it. The walk into the city centre is a 10-15 walk max. We didnt eat in the restaurant but in the centre as were going to the Marlowe theatre. The breakfast was superb, fresh and very tasty! Nice dining room. My only niggles would be yes the room was noisy as we feared, but only early morning and slightly hot, but then I am used to a very cold cottage! Would of given the hotel excellent if we'd had a room overlooking the garden, overlooking the carpark and road was abit disappointing!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back look over the lovely garden.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank shadow67kent
Reviewed 26 January 2012

After reading the reviews on here I was thoroughly excited! Not usually being one for hotels when my boyfriend and I travel we were very impressed! On arrival (16/1/12) we were met by a very warm and welcoming reception, a roaring log fire and a friendly receptionist (who we dealt with the entire stay - very nice gentleman!). We had requested a room at the back - as reviewers had said this would be quietest, although I doubt the noise would have been very audible from a front room. Room 4 was a good size - a desk under a TV, king sized double with bedside tables, a wardrobe - the bathroom was built into the originally square room and was beautifully decorated in the style of the hotel! Pressure in the shower was fine, and I enjoy nice, warm 15 min showers! Lovely atmosphere. The heavy curtains kept you in the dark until you wanted to get up! It was a nice view of the garden when you get up for breakfast.
Breakfast was lovely! Definitely could not eat it all. There is a buffet of cereals, fruit, croissants, and juice and your hot food was to order. I was stuffed after some honey on toast, the best bacon I've ever tasted, two poached eggs and some beans. Delicious!

We did not use the bar, or have dinner at the hotel as we wined and dined in the city and the countless restaurants (but I hear the French chef is very good!) The bar has recently been decorated as I am aware and looks lovely.

The lounge was a good place to sit before we went out for dinner, with a selection of books and board games.

The garden was lovely, albeit frosty when we went out after breakfast :)
We used the pool on our last night - its not the flashiest of pools nor the longest, but it does the job of being a leisurely pool to get some lengths in while you're on holiday. The jacuzzi was nice too!

Not too far from city center - 10/15 min walk down New Dover Road to the bus garage and main shopping centre - beware the college and schools in this area clogging up the pavements during school time!

Tiny niggles? Hot tub was yellowing from age on the inside, and the pillows were slightly lumpy. But I am not a prude and neither of these things were a big complaint!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook a beautiful garden
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple