Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments
Castle House Hotel(Canterbury)
Pilgrims Hotel(Canterbury)
Canterbury Hotel(Canterbury)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe cottagesswimming poolroom overlooking the gardencity centrelovely hotelbar mealsroom was largeminute walkbeautiful gardenself cateringtwo nightsbusy roadcooked breakfastlovely old buildingplenty of parkingtop floormain road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2009

This hotel is a typical old country house hotel located just south of Canterbury. The location is perfect for Canterbury and the surrounding areas, just far enough out of town to avoid all the noise of revelry. The staff were great with me extremely flexible and helpful especially the really tall chap (think his name is Henry?).

I was jet-lagged and busy and wanted one of the restaurant meals as room service and they obliged, also wanted an ice bucket for my bottle of wine (M&S) and this was delivered with a smile. I think as all country type hotels there was the downside of no mini-bar/aircon, but I found the room (11) and hotel great for my 3 night stay even though it was 30 odd degrees.

The bathroom was newly done and clean, however the bath only had a hand held shower which is OK for me (as I like baths), however if there had been 2 of us (it is a double room) then I think we would’ve struggled with; a) time for both baths and b) husband hates baths! So that could be a big improvement.

Think as in another review, the restaurant was very quiet and a bit formal, I didn't have dinner in there but did have breakfast and the waitress is a young girl who seemed to have her own time agenda, but by day 3 she got to know me.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The accommodation was OK, simple and adequate, although there was only a bath, no shower. But I had arranged (and paid for) breakfast and dinner (3 courses) Breakfast was average, but dinner was disgusting. It appeared to be old meals from the day before heated up. The tarte tatin was particularly ghastly and still cold when it was served! Also the first night I was there, there was no-one else dining. I wonder why!

The staff was generally unfriendly, especially the fellow on the front desk, who 3 times walked past me when I was breakfasting without any greeting.

It is well situated and would probably be OK if you avoided eating there and walked into Canterbury for the meals.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank SydneySerendipity
aliCanterbury, owner at Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2009

I can assure you we do not reheat meals, all dishes are cooked to order. I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal, but it is much more helpful if you draw this to our attention at the time.
I hope we have not put you off returning to our "simple and adequate" hotel.

Reviewed 11 May 2009

I stayed here with my 2 year old son and aunt for one night in March - we shared a family room with one double and two single beds.

Room was lovely, looked newly decorated and charming - bearing in mind we had a dog with us the decoration was FAR better than some far more expensive hotels have had to offer.

Staff were helpful and welcoming - especially the receptionist dog!

Pool was warm and clean - a short hop from the hotel.

Breakfast was very nice - the restaurant looked lovely but we didn't eat there becasue we'd had a late lunch in the town's cuban restaurant - cocktails to die for!

Would highly recommend for a short stay as it's very short walk to the city centre.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LONDONLASSIE
Reviewed 10 May 2009

The hotel was very reasonable - not fantastic but pretty good.

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights for a break in Canterbury. The hotel was in a good location - not right in the centre but within a ten minute walk. The staff were very pleasant, informal and made us feel welcome.

Our room (No. 9) was lovely and large, bright and airy. The bed was comfortable although the springs were very noisy, as was the floor. Neither of us could roll over or walk to the bathroom without waking the other.

The gardens were lovely and if we had spent more time at the hotel would no doubt enjoyed a couple of drinks out there. The pool house was nice after spending all day walking around town although the jacuzzi needed more water and the changing rooms needed a clean.

We didn't eat in the restaurant except for breakfast and they were happy to cook to order. Like other rooms in the hotel - in need of redecoration and a little TLC.

Overall, the hotel was pretty good value for money. I would not recommend for a special occasion or romantic get away, however, ideal for a short city break.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2009

The Ebury is in a nice building and it was spotlessly clean... I want to acknowledge the positives because it does have some - I would not critisise the decor as others have because, to be fair, I think it is traditional and in keeping with the building.

The service seemed well intentioned if not terribly visible, it was a little officious in my own personal opinion but it was polite at all times if not warm... being a paying customer I would rather not be given the impression I was being an inconvenience to be honest.

Which brings me to the other temperature issues. Energy prices are high, we all know, but £90 a night is enough to pay for the heating to be on. Our room was very cold and when we asked for this to be rectified we were told it would be swiched on in a few hours... we were not happy about this and basically had to go out to find warmth! The heating was off again by 9am in the morning! We fed this back on check out and were told some guests liked it cooler! radiators have an on and off switch so those wishing to be cold (cold enough to store dairy produce without fear of it spoiling perhaps) can choose to - but if the management actually switch off the heating this is beyond the pale in even a 3* establishment.

It is always a matter of opinion what temperature constitutes warm - but I feel if a guest would like heating on a cold early spring day in Britain refusal is unreasonable in a hotel.

For this reason we wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple